Corsair Community

CMX512-3200C2 Fails memtest!

I had been running with two sticks of CMX512-3200C2 for some time. I was getting seemingly random reboots / errors. I decided to test my modules using Memtest86 (v1.5.5). Turns out that one of the modules failed all tests using stock timings / voltage at both 166 and 200 MHz. I'm down to running with one stick and need help!

I've tested both the modules one at a time (in the same slot) on two different motherboards, an ASUS a7n8x-deluxe with an AthlonXP 2700+ and an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe with an Athlon64 3200+ (Venice core). The test results are the same in both cases. On the a7n8x I tested at both 166 to 200 MHz FSB. On the A8n-SLI i just tested at 200 MHz FSB.

I purchased the modules at the same time, but they are were not a twinX pair.

• Corsair Employees

Well thanks for the PIC, but that still does not tell me the bios settings you have set. I would try and set these settings in the bios manually and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz (2700+ setting)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

According to that screenshot, it's saying your FSB is @ 167 Mhz, but your memory is @ 200 Mhz, 2.5-4-4-9. Running your memory asynchronous from your FSB will usually cause errors on AMD systems with perfectly good parts.

Test the memory @ 166 Mhz with the 2700+. On the Athlon64 3200+ (Venice), take a screenshot @ 200 Mhz.

Also, what is the version of each stick? If they are indeed different, then that can be causing errors as well.

How To Read the Memory Label

The version of both sticks is 1.1. As stated earlier, i've done all tests one module at a time. It is only this module that exibits any errors at any speeds. If you would like, I will re-run the tests at 166 on the A7N8X and post a screenshot, but I have already done those tests and the module fails at all FSB settings.

Archived