Corsair Community

custom 24 pin atx cable question

anub1s21

Hi,

i'm currently planning on making some custom cables for my SF750 but i want to do something with the 24 pin atx of which i am not sure if it's a good idea or a future firehazard, and i've not been having much luck finding information on the topic.

now the 24pin ATX on the motherboard side has a lot of double wire's that lead in to 27 wires total . my question is mainly are these double wire's because of the current that passes through them or is this just for effeciency from the PSU side?

i was contemplating using 23 wire's on the motherboard side and 10-15cm before the psu attaching a 2nd wire to split it to the 2 pin's required for those that originally a double wire (using 16awg wires, 15awg core).

i am no electrician so i don't even have the slightest idea if this is oke or something that should never be done...hence why i'm asking.

Edited by anub1s21

the double wires are for voltage sensing i believe.

voltage regulation is done at the point of use and not at the PSU end, to account for losses in the 24 pin cable.

you should have a double wire on one of the 12v, 5v and 3.3v.

those secondary cables have to go all the way to the motherboard because their purpose is to know what voltage you have AFTER cable losses (resistance, heat etc..).

Bridging them at the PSU end only will serve no purpose.

the double wires are for voltage sensing i believe.

voltage regulation is done at the point of use and not at the PSU end, to account for losses in the 24 pin cable.

you should have a double wire on one of the 12v, 5v and 3.3v.

those secondary cables have to go all the way to the motherboard because their purpose is to know what voltage you have AFTER cable losses (resistance, heat etc..).

Bridging them at the PSU end only will serve no purpose.

ah now i understand there purpose, thank you verry much and there go's that plan :( 27 wire's it is.

Edited by anub1s21