Corsair Community

Connecting 3rd 8pin EPS cable to AX850

Yes, I know that much, that was not really the essence of my question. What I need double-checking for is that there are no platform peculiarities that would make a bad idea connecting more than the 2x 8pin EPS cables that came with the PSU.

To put things in perspective, the PSU is driving a Supermicro dual Xeon Scalable board with 192GB ECC ram. I want to upgrade the CPUs on the server to chips that are higher TDP and the board requires connecting the optional third 8pin EPS on it.

aaah.. well same answer :) the pinout is identical on the PSU end, so you can plug as many EPS or PCIE cables as you like.

They only supply what's usually needed for the majority of builds. 2 EPS and 3 PCIE, but you can buy the extra cables you need for yours. The only limitation will be obviously the power rating of the PSU on the 12V rail. that's the only thing to check if you have high power GPU(s) on top of that.

The load should be more than enough. The only GPU on it is a 1030 which isn't even directly PSU powered, it's PCIe bus powered and peaks at about 38W on extreme stress load. It's a server, the 1030 is only there because I occasionally need to use GUI IDE to do programming work on the spot and the onboard video is...awful, heh, and on the plus side it also allows me to perform some unit tests on code with compute load as part of CI. So basically the only big draw on the 12V rail is by the board power connectors.

I'm an engineer so my main concern was that there could be some kind of optimization on platform design, considering how power is drawn from EPS vs PCIe etc. I have actually not studied the specifications and even if I had I'd still have no access to PSU platform schematics. So better ask and be safe than sorry as I'm a small-time indie software engineer and can't budget any damages to the PSU or the board or extended downtime, of course. Specially now in covid era :)

If it's just a matter of the 12V rail withstanding the load I'm good to go, thanks :)

Most of the dual Xeon Scalable boards have triple 8pin EPS and it has NOTHING to do with render farms which are but a miniscule fraction of where these boards are used. Much less than 1%. The most common use are data centers and application specific, like mine. Also cards used for rendering get the vast majority of their power from the PCIe power connectors, not the bus. So the EPS plugs are largely irrelevant.

The 3x EPS plugs are there to split the load so that the cables and sockets don't melt/burn up. There's a limit to how many Amperes can go through a socket and cable before that happens and these chips draw a lot. They're not 35W TDP Xeons. A Xeon Gold 6252 is 150 TDP and the TDP rating doesn't factor the Turbo clock (built-in overclocking). The exact same reason why HEDT and high end consumer desktop boards have 2xEPS..