Corsair Community

BIOS CAN'T DETECT M.2 ssd BOOTDRIVE

Hello, I have corsair one i140 ,for the past few months the pc sometimes restart after I turn on ,and then it go to bios directly because motherboard can't detect m.2 ssd bootdrive,wait a few minutes restart the pc it can boot to windows again,windows event log said Kernel-Power 41 error before the system crash,is the ssd problem or power supply problem,it happened almost once or twice a day ,any advice ? thank you very much

This was happening to my original Corsair One from 2018. 8700K/1080ti. I actually replaced the original SSD with a 1TB SSD in 2020 after getting that error multiple times. I thought the SSD was just dying. Fast forward about 7 months later and this SSD also started to be "not found" on bootup. It got so bad now that it only goes into Windows maybe 1/10 times on bootup.

I was also getting hard-resets once a day with the same Windows event error.

I honestly stopped fiddling with it back in Feb and it's just been sitting here for parts.

I will say that I pulled the SSD out and put it into a NUC and it's been working just fine for the past 2 months so I doubt it's the SSD itself.

• 2 weeks later...
This was happening to my original Corsair One from 2018. 8700K/1080ti. I actually replaced the original SSD with a 1TB SSD in 2020 after getting that error multiple times. I thought the SSD was just dying. Fast forward about 7 months later and this SSD also started to be "not found" on bootup. It got so bad now that it only goes into Windows maybe 1/10 times on bootup.

I was also getting hard-resets once a day with the same Windows event error.

I honestly stopped fiddling with it back in Feb and it's just been sitting here for parts.

I will say that I pulled the SSD out and put it into a NUC and it's been working just fine for the past 2 months so I doubt it's the SSD itself.

thanks for the reply,I also changed with new 1T m.2 ssd few days ago and works fine so far ,but the temperature of the new ssd is higher than the original one

• 5 weeks later...
thanks for the reply,I also changed with new 1T m.2 ssd few days ago and works fine so far ,but the temperature of the new ssd is higher than the original one

I also did the same as you. I was also getting lots of blue screens per day since end of April and the dumps could never be written, and the PC would go straight to the BIOS. I realized it was the M2 failing when I couldn't boot anymore and trying to install Windows 10 from a USB key would fail. The error would be "Error 0X800701B1 'A device which does not exist was specified'" thus the M2 failing.

Since replacing it with 970 Evo Plus, everything is fine for now 2 weeks. We've seen a lot of people indicating the same thing so I'm hoping it's a defect with the line of the original M2 and not something else causing early failure such as heat from the GPU.

• 1 month later...
Hello, I have corsair one i140 ,for the past few months the pc sometimes restart after I turn on ,and then it go to bios directly because motherboard can't detect m.2 ssd bootdrive,wait a few minutes restart the pc it can boot to windows again,windows event log said Kernel-Power 41 error before the system crash,is the ssd problem or power supply problem,it happened almost once or twice a day ,any advice ? thank you very much

I am literally running into the same exact issue with my Corsair One. It started in April for me as well which is a funny coincidence. My PC would blue screen once or twice a day and it became a regular occurrence. It would go straight to BIOS a couple of times before Windows finally loaded up. From the posts I am reading, it seems like my SSD is failing.

I did everything including restoring my PC and diagnostics. Unfortunately my PC had another regular blue screen and this time no matter what I do, it will not leave the BIOS. So, is it safe to say the M2 SSD needs to be replaced for this to be fixed?