Corsair Community

CMSX64GX4M2A2933C19 does not work with ASRock 4X4 BOX-4800U

I recently bought an Asrock 4X4 BOX-4800U. For anyone not familiar with this system: It is barebone system with an AMD Ryzen 4800U APU, which means it integrates a 4000er AMD CPU with Radeon Graphics.

According to the specs, it should be compatible with any 64GByte kit of two DDR4 SO-DIMMs up to 3200Mhz.

I bought the CMSX64GX4M2A2933C19, which also is supposed to be compatible with the aforementioned APU.

When I use the memory kit or any one of the two modules in my Asrock, memtest86 reports almost the whole memory as erroneous and I cannot get the system to boot from any of my USB sticks or from the Linux I installed to the SSD. All errors lead to memory errors ('Checksum failed', 'could not access root', etc.).

When I try different RAM in the ASrock (I have an 8GByte Samsung Stick laying around), I can get Linux to boot. When I try the RAM kit in a different Laptop, I can get Linux to boot. In both scenarios, I can also succesfully test the system with memtest86.

That means:

Only when I put the memory kit into the asrock, I get memory errors galore and memtest86 fails miserably.

Does anyone have an idea what I could do?

The asrock bios does not allow me to change any memory settings, no timings, no voltage, no profiles. I also updated to bios to the latest version to no avail. I disabled Cool&Quiet and also tried many other Bios options. It always fails.

• Corsair Employees

Looking at their tech specs page, it does state a maximum of 64GB. When referencing their manual, however, the maximum stated amount of memory is 32GB (not specifying per SODIMM on their part). - I would recommend contacting ASRock to verify.

When I try the RAM kit in a different Laptop, I can get Linux to boot.

Can you clarify here if you mean that you tried the 2x32GB kit in a different system without issues?

Looking at their tech specs page, it does state a maximum of 64GB. When referencing their manual, however, the maximum stated amount of memory is 32GB (not specifying per SODIMM on their part). - I would recommend contacting ASRock to verify.

I am in contact with Asrock now and we are clarifying if there is an incompatibility. It does not sound as if the memory size is the problem.

Can you clarify here if you mean that you tried the 2x32GB kit in a different system without issues?

Correct. When I try both RAM sticks together in a different system (an Intel based Laptop), the RAM works like a charm.

• Corsair Employees

Correct. When I try both RAM sticks together in a different system (an Intel based Laptop), the RAM works like a charm.

That right there confirms the issue is not with the memory kit, and is indeed a compatibility issue with the Asrock system. Our product page also specifically states that kit is only compatible with Intel based laptops. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/Vengeance-Series-SODIMM/p/CMSX64GX4M2A2933C19

Our product page also specifically states that kit is only compatible with Intel based laptops. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...4GX4M2A2933C19

It was sold to me by Amazon with the specific promise to be compatible with Ryzen's 4000er series. Not your problem, I know. But after I return the kit I probably will buy a different manufacturer from the list of compatible kits I got from ASRock.

Edited by tibu