Corsair Community

H115i or h150i... worth to change it ?

Hello

I try to search the best cooling configuration. Before exposing the dilemma, let's say I know that a push pull configuration can be usefull.

Here my situation.

- I have a be quiet 900 pro. This means I can put 3 140/120 fans in front, one 140/120 at rear and 3 140 or 4 120 at the top.

- I actually use an AIO 280 (H115i capellix)

- I actually have 7 ML140 (not rgb but only LED) in this case. But they are not reaching 2000 rpm as advertised.

- I use a 11900k (please, the topic is not about why using it vs an AMD)

I wanted to take external opinions about the opportunity to change the AIO 280 for a 360 (corsair off course and capellix). This would mean that I would put 4 fans at top versus 3 actually.

I envisage to put noctua fans industrial 2000 rpm. If I did correctly my maths, it would mean that with 4 120mm fans it would exhaust 487,2 m3/hour versus 547,5 with 3 140mm fans.

But, I would use a radiator with less surface for cooling.

What do you think would be better ? Keeping the 280 or switching to a 360 ?

Is there any data of the cooling performance h115i vs h150i ? Even if, I know, here this is not the point to take in consideration.

Generally speaking delta T for a 300W load into _____ with fans at 1300 rpm =

280mm radiator with single layer fans = +10.5

280mm radiator with push-pull fans = +9C

360mm radiator with single layer fans = +9.5C

360mm radiator with push pull fans = +8.5C

140mm base radiators (fans) generally benefit a bit more from push pull than 120mm models.

It's a grand total of 2C from worst to first. That means 2C difference at the CPU as well.

However, the most notable difference here is 1300 rpm on 2-4 x 140mm radiators fans is going to be louder than 3-6 x 120s at 1300 rpm. So while differences are slight, a 360mm radiator lets you leverage the larger surface area and run a single layer of 120mm fans for equal performance with less noise. Again, the differences in actual temperature are small.

A 11900K with a strong overclock can pull almost 300W when running fixed max loads like a Cinebench R23 dog track run or other CPU render, encoding, or professional applications. You won't see nearly that much in other uses and my maxed out 10900K doesn't break 150W very often. At half the wattage, it's going to be half the temperature difference making this nearly indistinguishable. So then we are back to noise vs preferred fan type vs expense of acquisition. If you run your 140s at 1300+ rpm now and don't think twice, this does not seem to be a worthy upgrade. Push pull on that will keep you even. On the other hand if you feel like those fans are getting loud, you be able to pull back a slightly different tone to the case.

Thank you. It makes sense what you said. So not really interesting the push/pull and not interesting the AIO 360.

I made stress tests with cinebench 23, throttling test (10 min). CPU temp climb to 80°celsius, so it does not throttle even after 10 minutes. I must precise that I do not used ABT cause it seems to transform the PC in a heat factory.

I have OC it to make it using 5Ghz on all cores when 8 cores are used. Stable and not creating heat problems (5,3 Ghz for 1 or 2 cores, 5,2 for 3 or 4 cores, 5,1 for 5 or 6 cores and 5 Ghz for 7 or 8 cores used).

Anyways, I will think at this... I wait for thermal pads to replace the ones of my 3080... maybe it will also help with the heat inside the computer.

Thank you for your answer and help here.

Edited by Ralendil