Corsair Community

Other Hardware: Query regarding APC Back-UPS 1100

I have the above mentioned model and its working absolutely fine so far. I use it for my desktop computer to protect against surges and power outs. It provides me with a back up of 3-4 minutes to save my work and shutdown the computer within that buffer time.

Today, my query is as flows: (I am very weak on the topic of electricity, so kindly bear with me).

I recently purchased an RM750-gold and an Acer VG271UPbmiipx monitor and both have a big 16Amp power cable plug. And the mentioned UPS has a regular, small 6Amp outlet. That fits the older power plugs of the old monitor and the old PSU. The 16Amp power cable plugs do not fit to the UPS's outlet.

Im wondering if I can connect both the monitor & the PSU cable to the UPS using a 16-to-6/5-amp converter adapter, will that be wise. Will it disrupt the main lines load or the UPS unit or the PSU in anyway?

Both the monitor and the PSU mention:

"AC INPUT RATING: 100v-240v, INPUT CURRENT: 10A-5A"

Additionally the PSU also mentions, MAX COMBINED OUTPUT-TOTAL POWER: 750W"

The UPS mentions:

OUTPUT: 230V~, 5A, 50Hz,1100VA, 660 W

(I've also asked this on the APC-UPS forums, still awaiting a reply from them. So I thought of asking you diligent folk as well).

Looking forward to your replies and have a nice day!

Low end UPC questions like yours are uncommon here. Better models have a USB cable so that they can be monitored.

I suspect the UPC is not suitable for the new hardware power cables

What on earth are you on about?

There was no mention of USB cables or monitoring by the OP. The Back UPS range has USB connections, and the OP is probably using it.

The Back UPS range from APC is also perfectly suitable for a home use, and there is no reason to consider it "low end".

Even if it was/is "low end" by your standards, his question has nothing to do with the quality of the UPS and everything to do with the cables to connect it to his devices. Which you haven't addressed at all.

OP, which country are you located in? It does not sound like UK/EU. Typically Monitors/PSUs would ship with 5A or 13A cables.

Judging by the 16A, I'm going to take a guess at a country with 110V?

Simple maths would work out that: 750 / 110 = 6.8A

So at near max load, your PSU would pull around 7A at 110V, so I would not connect it using 6A cables.

ITs unlikely your PSU will be at max load and really pulling over 6A, but its within its operating range.

If you are however on 230V, then 750 / 230 = 3.2A so 6A cables would be fine.

(I know that the PSU isn't 100% efficient, so will be drawing MORE than 750W, however for these simple illustraion sums its fine)

Edited by xPETEZx

• 2 weeks later...
What on earth are you on about?

There was no mention of USB cables or monitoring by the OP. The Back UPS range has USB connections, and the OP is probably using it.

The Back UPS range from APC is also perfectly suitable for a home use, and there is no reason to consider it "low end".

Even if it was/is "low end" by your standards, his question has nothing to do with the quality of the UPS and everything to do with the cables to connect it to his devices. Which you haven't addressed at all.

OP, which country are you located in? It does not sound like UK/EU. Typically Monitors/PSUs would ship with 5A or 13A cables.

Judging by the 16A, I'm going to take a guess at a country with 110V?

Simple maths would work out that: 750 / 110 = 6.8A

So at near max load, your PSU would pull around 7A at 110V, so I would not connect it using 6A cables.

ITs unlikely your PSU will be at max load and really pulling over 6A, but its within its operating range.

If you are however on 230V, then 750 / 230 = 3.2A so 6A cables would be fine.

(I know that the PSU isn't 100% efficient, so will be drawing MORE than 750W, however for these simple illustraion sums its fine)

PETEZ Thanks for your reply. I apologise for the delay in replying. There were cabling/electrical house maintenance work (still) going on, hence couldnt get online sooner.

I'm located in Mumbai, India. We have a 230V electric supply/connection/outlets.

As per your calculations, it should be safe to use the BacksUPS 1100 unit as a backup unit?

Thanks!

PETEZ Thanks for your reply. I apologise for the delay in replying. There were cabling/electrical house maintenance work (still) going on, hence couldnt get online sooner.

I'm located in Mumbai, India. We have a 230V electric supply/connection/outlets.

As per your calculations, it should be safe to use the BacksUPS 1100 unit as a backup unit?

Thanks!

At 230v, I think so yes. You shouldn't end up pulling more than 3-4A, well below the 6A rating.