Corsair Community

My desktop computer restarted out of nowhere. Faulty PSU? RM650x

I was using the pc, watching a YT and few light programs at background. (Not a heavy load)

Suddenly the computer has "restarted" itself.

It has not made any noise, there has not been a bluescreen or anything like that.

I didn't touched any components or done anything for months and inside the box it does not smell of burning.

The temperatures were good, the usual ones.

The psu is a Corsair RMX 650, it is not even a year old and I bought it from Amazon, so it has a guarantee.

Clarify that it had never happened to me and it DIDN'T happened again.

In the event viewer I have encountered this error:

Critial - EVENT 41 - kernel-Power

I have passed the furmark test to the GPU, to see if it was a thing of the gpu and thus squeeze the PSU a bit, and 0 errors, perfect voltages supplied by the psu.

https://i.imgur.com/IIVq5Xi.png

Also, I tryed the furmark test and the CPU aida64 test to squeeze the power consumption at max, no problems of any kind.

Some people have told me that it may be that I have had a specific drop in voltage at home and the minimum has gone so that the pc turns off, but the lights still on.

Others have told me that it may have been a random error, and others that I should change the psu since it is under warranty to get rid of a possible error in the long run.

The PSU is the Corsair RM650x.

PC components and temps:

Everything stock, no oc, even the RAM has not profile activated.

https://i.imgur.com/mDsjOKL.png

Some friends told me to just wait, and use the pc normal as ever, since that could be just a random error in the power lines, or just a random problem like computers have sometimes.

And if it happens again, then RMA the PSU.

And it looks a good idea for you, but I would be happy to read your opinion.

What should I do? What you would do?

the mains voltage dip hypothesis seems pretty unlikely. PSUs can deal with pretty long microcuts.. like.. lights dimming kinds of dips without reboots.

The kernel power error is very common on laptops, but i rarely see it on desktops. maybe keep looking at your events logs from time to time, if you have warnings, more than alarms. alarms will be your crashes and hard resets, but often there's like massive numbers of warnings leading to these.

That aside, do you use cable extensions? Also, using only the cables that came with the PSU?

the mains voltage dip hypothesis seems pretty unlikely. PSUs can deal with pretty long microcuts.. like.. lights dimming kinds of dips without reboots.

The kernel power error is very common on laptops, but i rarely see it on desktops. maybe keep looking at your events logs from time to time, if you have warnings, more than alarms. alarms will be your crashes and hard resets, but often there's like massive numbers of warnings leading to these.

That aside, do you use cable extensions? Also, using only the cables that came with the PSU?

Thank you for your answer.

Searching a little more, I found:

(already in the OP)

Critial - EVENT 41 - kernel-Power

Also, from the same day:

Error - EVENT 6008- EventLog

The only "critial" event in my system it's the one from yesterday, others are just "error".

I have some "Warnings" too, but they're from Windows, for example:

Warning - EVENT 10016 - DistributedCOM

If you need a screenshot or more info, please tell me.

Im not posting images because my language is not english, but if you need them, tell me.

The cables, they're the original that arrived with the PSU.

Very likely not the PSU. Could be something as simple as a bad bit in memory. Make sure that "automatically reboot" is unchecked in Windows.

http://jongerow.com/automatically-restart/index.html

Thank you for your answer :)

It was enabled... now it's off.

Lets hope it don't happen again, and well, if it happens we will know.

I should install some of those programs like "BlueScreenView" that we used years ago? With w10 it's not necesary, isn't it?

check to be sure windows is fully updated

it's also very unusual for windows to reboot when a user is active

Thank you for your answer

All major updates ready, those that tell you to set a date... installed.

I try to touch the less the better the Windows 10 unnecesary updates... they trend to break things haha

bluescreenview isn't really useful. you have all the info yu need on the event logs.

As for windows updates, just avoid the "preview" ones. they are like early access to patches that aren't fully tested, in case you have an issue they are working on fixing :)

You have an old build, if your profile is up to date and those old FX were nice little toasters, so it's also possible the years of service took their toll on the motherboard VRM caps, rendering the computer a bit more unstable than it was when new.

Very often it's the good ol chemistry of aging electrolytic caps that kill our computers. could be one cause..

A bit of googling taught me that event 6008 is an unscheduled restart or shutdown of the computer, so it seems to go hand in hand with kernel power alarms.

bluescreenview isn't really useful. you have all the info yu need on the event logs.

As for windows updates, just avoid the "preview" ones. they are like early access to patches that aren't fully tested, in case you have an issue they are working on fixing :)

You have an old build, if your profile is up to date and those old FX were nice little toasters, so it's also possible the years of service took their toll on the motherboard VRM caps, rendering the computer a bit more unstable than it was when new.

Very often it's the good ol chemistry of aging electrolytic caps that kill our computers. could be one cause..

A bit of googling taught me that event 6008 is an unscheduled restart or shutdown of the computer, so it seems to go hand in hand with kernel power alarms.

Thank you for your answer!

Yes, my profile build its my actual one :-)

You're right about the years of service and the "a bit more unstable than it was when new."

Really a good point, even with a good manteinance like the one I like to do, everything breakdown.

Time to time, old things with a high use (like the one I give to this computer since 2013) has to have a toll.

Indeed, looks more plausible to be some of my old components (the mobo and cpu are the oldest components in the build) or a random issue, than be a faulty PSU. True?

Anyway, I'll take it like a "random issue" like almost electronic have time to time...

because there isn't a defined source neither way to make it happen again...

Also it didn't happen again since my post, and I stressed out the pc much more, so looks good! :-)

I had these start happening with my RM750i.

First I had 2 in a day. Then over the following few days at least 1 per day.

I tested everything, CPU (Prime95 / Furmark), RAM (memtest86), GPU (Furmark / 3dMark / Games) and couldnt work out what was causing it.

The fact the restarts happened with no event log or memory dump made start to suspect the PSU.

I ended up swapping to a spare HX750, and didnt have the issue again.

The RM750i was confirmed faulty.

So random reboots like that can certainly be PSU. Especially when there is no memory dump or event log. Typically a GPU driver crash or CPU error would log something.

That don't auto-restart box will also not help if its a PSU issue. I turned it off, but my system still random restarted.

If it only happens one time, it could just be "one of those things", but if it keeps happening, I wouldnt rule out the PSU is the issue till you have ruled it out concussively by testing with another. (I know this can be hard if you dont have another to test.)

Could be something as simple as bad/oxidized contact somewhere between cables and PSU/motherboard terminals. Have you and OP tried to reseat them ?

I had these start happening with my RM750i.

First I had 2 in a day. Then over the following few days at least 1 per day.

I tested everything, CPU (Prime95 / Furmark), RAM (memtest86), GPU (Furmark / 3dMark / Games) and couldnt work out what was causing it.

The fact the restarts happened with no event log or memory dump made start to suspect the PSU.

The RM750i was confirmed faulty.

So random reboots like that can certainly be PSU. Especially when there is no memory dump or event log. Typically a GPU driver crash or CPU error would log something.

That don't auto-restart box will also not help if its a PSU issue. I turned it off, but my system still random restarted.

If it only happens one time, it could just be "one of those things", but if it keeps happening, I wouldnt rule out the PSU is the issue till you have ruled it out concussively by testing with another. (I know this can be hard if you dont have another to test.)

Thanks for your answer :-)

Sadly, it kinda happened again.

Not the same, but today playing a normal game, the pc freezed until I restarted it... totally blocked. (it wasn't stressed...)

Only the "restart button" worked here.

I searched online and I saw that could be a sympthom too...

I think that contacting with Amazon and see if they can replace it for me could be a good idea...

Maybe it's the problem maybe not... but it's the last component I added to the computer. :-(

Could be something as simple as bad/oxidized contact somewhere between cables and PSU/motherboard terminals. Have you and OP tried to reseat them ?

I tried that too, nothing was wrong :(

I suggest reset windows and if that fixes problems it shows it ws system corruption.

PSU failures are uncommon. BIOS errors are common. System corruption is very common.

Thanks for your answer.

I really wanna doubt that it's a PSU fault, since as we know, W10 it's like using a permanent beta OS...

The first event and this one has nothing in common...

One was a restart while seing just a video... this one was a system freeze while playing... also there were several days apart.

Maybe it could even be a OS fault since the start?

This kind of issues end with a eadache... there's no place to start digging!!