Corsair Community

Corsair iCUE v4 on macOS Catalina v10.15: Disastrously bad experience (Dead inputs)

bastian_au

Hi there,

I'm beyond disappointed in how Corsair have put iCUE together for macOS.

500MB for an installer that performs hardware-level work is immense, and implies either/both a focus on pretty software and/or dependency on many packages/libraries to make the core functionality work reliably.

You can see in the installer/uninstaller that it's not polished software. I was hesitant to install it due to the size, especially given the benefits it would provide. Having held off upgrading to macOS Big Sur, I'm on Catalina's latest stable dot release (including all current security patches, etc).

Installing was a rough experience - it took a long time, tied up the system, launched iCUE before the reboot which resulted in a crashed app, then when the system was rebooted on request, peripherals were illuminated but non-functional at the macOS login prompt. No inputs reflected whatsoever - only the very first mouse movement was recognised as a tiny (less than 1mm) movement before it stopped registering inputs altogether.

From there, rebooting into macOS Recovery led to peripherals working (pre-OS functionality makes sense given iCUE caused the problems). Rebooted from there to the login screen, and even a Lenovo USB (old-school) keyboard wouldn't properly work - only the left half worked OK, the other half didn't.

Net result was being unable to login to a Mac which had only just had iCUE installed onto it. Rebooted again and the Lenovo keyboard was able to input properly, so I logged in and uninstalled the atrocious iCUE software. Rebooting once completed led to a continuation of the exact same symptoms, suggesting that Corsair haven't ensured that kernel extensions and the like are properly/thoroughly removed. So my system now requires a rebuild if I'd like it back to how it was before Corsair touched it inappropriately.

After investing a significant amount of money in a new keyboard and mouse, with the Mac client being one of the reasons for choosing Corsair, now I'm sitting here wondering how even after the major v3 to v4 upgrade (that requires a reinstall likely due to it being completely rebuilt, indicating a potentially troublesome v3 construction behind-the-scenes too) it's still on the market as being ready for usage. It's left me with a damaged system, with the damage done at a level that doesn't encourage end-user resolution.

How much work is being done to improve this disappointing software?

Do you receive many complaints about the macOS client being poor?

What was meant to be resolved moving from v3 iCUE over to the v4?

If it's buggy or not ready for widespread usage, why isn't there a note?

Does your support team get proper answers, or just run-around end users?

This claimed hours from a work day today in just getting back to a machine with peripherals that functioned to some degree, and I'm still feeling the performance toll of iCUE being uninstalled by your unprofessional tool. For a company the size of Corsair, if you're going to launch a macOS software client, please do it properly rather than make macOS users guinea pigs.

From what we can make out, the software is badly constructed, badly tested, and badly documented. I'm hoping to be impressed by how this thread is handled, however I'm concerned that it'll be run around in circles and the dev team won't have to determine where they've gone wrong with iCUE macOS.

Please help,

Bastian_AU

Edited by bastian_au
Typo

• 3 weeks later...

I am in exactly the same situation.

I thought the problem was with the MacBook M1 chip, but finally, thanks to your message I realize that Mac users are still being left out.

The hardware is beautiful and I was also tempted to buy it after accessing the beautiful page where it is "sold" the possibility to use it perfectly with a Mac.

When I uninstall iCUE the extensions are not removed and I will probably have to do a clean install of my system again.

I opened a support ticket yesterday, but when I read the answers on the forum, I have the impression that we are taken from above....

Very disappointed, if my answer is not clear this week, I will resell the equipment and I will go to logitech which seems to respect its users more.

Oh yeah, one last thing....think about putting your reviews on Amazon. I didn't have the reflex to look in the forum before buying them.

It's always very sad to see such a great company put itself in danger for a catastrophic customer service and user experience

I am in exactly the same situation.

I thought the problem was with the MacBook M1 chip, but finally, thanks to your message I realize that Mac users are still being left out.

The hardware is beautiful and I was also tempted to buy it after accessing the beautiful page where it is "sold" the possibility to use it perfectly with a Mac.

When I uninstall iCUE the extensions are not removed and I will probably have to do a clean install of my system again.

I opened a support ticket yesterday, but when I read the answers on the forum, I have the impression that we are taken from above....

Very disappointed, if my answer is not clear this week, I will resell the equipment and I will go to logitech which seems to respect its users more.

Oh yeah, one last thing....think about putting your reviews on Amazon. I didn't have the reflex to look in the forum before buying them.

It's always very sad to see such a great company put itself in danger for a catastrophic customer service and user experience

I'd appreciate an update on the support ticket if/when you get one. Happy to make one to apply more pressure depending on what happens. Doubtful for a real answer, as you'd need to escalate it a decent way to speak to someone remotely close to the code-base.

My primary method now is avoiding reboots which isn't ideal. Kernel extensions are definitely still in-place or at least to enough of a degree that it's impacting my system in ways it never was pre-install (with Corsair peripherals).

Lovely hardware, but as you say they should just delete the iCUE macOS options until they have not-garbage options available. It's almost sabotage.

As an FYI, had a Logitech set (decently expensive) for a customer. Short-cut/macro keys wouldn't behave consistently. First use would open the wrong thing, subsequent presses would open the right app - support took it all the way, replaced the unit, tried beta software, tried config tweaks, etc, nothing.

Had to ditch it and go with Lenovo from memory. Anything else other than Logitech was the solution. Shame too how Logitech bought Slim Devices then killed it off, at least Logitech Media Server has had a public uprising to keep development efforts going to some degree.

Some computer stores have peripherals on display (YMMV with COVID-19) which can be really helpful to get a proper look and feel, though you might want to take a Mac along with you! :laughing:

Fingers crossed Corsair actually give a damn about this thread. I'm doubtful. Will keep my options open as far as reviews go - tend to go the whole way or not at all.

I really like this new hardware, but I'm developing a strong hatred of Corsair for how horrendous the iCUE experience on macOS is. What a load of rubbish.

Edited by bastian_au
Missed: Reviews, etc

I am in the same situation....

Mac users are often very attached to the beauty of the product and perfect operation. It was the quality of the Corsair hardware that made me buy it. I was starting to get attached to this brand and I wanted to buy the keyboard afterwards (I am finally starting to be able to play on the Mac with Geforce Now, which I am delighted with)

Corsair's performance so far is very disappointing.

You talked about iCUE 4, but I only found the version 3.38.61 for Mac OS X on the website .....

In any case I already start to inform the French Mac community on the most used forums.

We keep up to date, it's nice not to feel alone with 1 line messages from Corsair employees.

After several hours of research:

Version 4.10 for Mac OS Big Sur on Apple M1 works perfectly!

My problems came mainly from my USB hubs C....be careful.

The application is top, the effects super and the Bass booster a killer!

Bravo Corsair, I stay !

• 2 weeks later...
After several hours of research:

Version 4.10 for Mac OS Big Sur on Apple M1 works perfectly!

My problems came mainly from my USB hubs C....be careful.

The application is top, the effects super and the Bass booster a killer!

Bravo Corsair, I stay !

I'm encouraged by what you've discovered, I can't even install the latest v3 as it's an MSI file & it's doing my head in.

Any chance you could do a brief rundown on how you went about installing v4?

I know I'd really appreciate it & I imagine other disgruntled K100 users would too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
Hey guys, looks like you got a sneak peek at the new version a little earlier than expected. We’re not officially ready for launch yet for the macOS version, this version was intended for our beta testers, but any feedback you have based on your experience is welcome. We’ll provide an update once we have the launch version ready to download.

Currently using iCUE 4.11.274 on a mid 2013 macbook pro OSX 10.15.17. I happened to come across 4.9 on the forum after trying to find a way to get my mac to recognize my Virtuoso XTs. Sounds like many others have recently done the same thing.

At this point, I'm happy to finally be able to adjust the EQ settings or sidetone volume, for example on my headset. The installation and subsequent update was painless. The UI seems just fine and I was able to make the adjustments I wanted. The only annoyance I found was that I was unable to adjust the window size of the app to fit my laptop monitor. I didn't connect to an external display to see if that was still an issue with a higher resolution monitor. No complaints, otherwise.