Corsair Community

AX1600i C14 variant

Hi there I have obtained an AX1600i online from a verified reseller in China and it comes with a C14 plug.

It is a C14 + 220/240V only variant and I have read something on the web that the 220/240v only variant did not obtain Titanium rating and have an inferior design/components that is designed to go into China market.

Can someone from Corsair confirm if it's true or not? I am not aware that Corsair have made an inferior AX1600i for alternate market and that does not make any sense for a power supply designed to be a flagship model.

The seller promised me that the unit can enjoy official Corsair support when buying from them. I might need to get some help from Corsair official if that's the case, thank you.

-I have attached a picture for easy reference.

image.jpg.bad7e9013430ebb5ea2f0106e5f08636.jpg

• Corsair Employee
Hi there I have obtained an AX1600i online from a verified reseller in China and it comes with a C14 plug.

It is a C14 + 220/240V only variant and I have read something on the web that the 220/240v only variant did not obtain Titanium rating and have an inferior design/components that is designed to go into China market.

What country are YOU in (since you're apparently not in China) and who did you buy it from?

Thanks for your reply. I am from Hong Kong (next to China) and experiencing a very hard supply shortage here, hence that's why I buy it from China online and it comes with free 2 day shipping.

I got it from online store Tmall(or you can call it TaoBao) and the shop name is directly translated as 'Corsair Official Flagship Store' in which the guy told me that they have obtained official documents as an official Corsair reseller. They are also the only one having a tag 'Corsair direct sale' so I guess that's somehow legit.

They repeatedly stated that this unit can enjoy RMA support by Corsair and they are official so I guess this is not some fake unit. I know there's some non-labeled unit with half price as a new one in China, no I am not talking about those. The package stated that it's manufactured in Jan 2021 by FLEX and I can provide S/N for you to check.

Some Chinese review stated that AX1600i only obtained 110V Titanium verification and the China one carries a different SKU, which supports 200-240 only and a C14 plug, and cannot pass Titanium verification which is to cope with Chinese market.

It somehow feels cheated as nowhere has mentioned this until I bought it and start to use it. It is indeed more convenient to have C14 but it's clear that convenience cannot override quality in this case. If this is an inferior SKU I would hope and look into replacing it with one that has Titanium verification.

Any input on the C14 variant is appreciated, thanks.

• Corsair Employee

Ok.

I asked what country you're in because the C14 is only to be used with high voltage mains (230V, which is used in China and Hong Kong) as opposed to low voltage (like what's used in the U.S., Japan and Taiwan, for example). That's why I asked.

Your warranty should be fine.

As for the Chinese reviewer: He doesn't know what he's talking about. Do not trust him. He doesn't know what he's talking about.... or you misunderstood his message.

The AX1600i is the exact same PSU inside regardless of whether or not it has a C13 or C19 connector. The ONLY difference in the two is that AC socket AND THAT IS IT. PERIOD.

The REASON it has a C13 is because China and Australia will not let you use a C19 unless the plug on the other end (the one that plugs into the wall) can support 16A. Of course, most homes in China don't have a 16A plug to plug into, so that would be silly! And at 230V, there's no reason the PSU would ever NEED that much power!

And the plug type certainly has NOTHING to do with efficiency either. That's a big lie too.

It's actually EASIER and CHEAPER to get higher efficiency at higher mains voltages like 230V because of lower current. Lower current = less resistance. When you see a PSU that is "80 PLUS WHATEVER 230V", that is 99% of the time a PSU that cannot support lower mains voltages AT ALL. What they do is make the primary circuit half the size of the circuit in a full range PSU (example: A PSU that is advertised as a 1600W with 230V input would have a primary circuit similar to a full input range unit that only outputs 800W). So if this "reviewer" is really spreading that kind of message, he needs to shut down his site because he really doesn't know ANYTHING about what he's talking about.

TL/DR: There is NO DIFFERENCE between the two AX1600i variants OTHER THAN THE PLUG SOCKET. PERIOD.

• 3 months later...
Ok.

I asked what country you're in because the C14 is only to be used with high voltage mains (230V, which is used in China and Hong Kong) as opposed to low voltage (like what's used in the U.S., Japan and Taiwan, for example). That's why I asked.

Your warranty should be fine.

As for the Chinese reviewer: He doesn't know what he's talking about. Do not trust him. He doesn't know what he's talking about.... or you misunderstood his message.

The AX1600i is the exact same PSU inside regardless of whether or not it has a C13 or C19 connector. The ONLY difference in the two is that AC socket AND THAT IS IT. PERIOD.

The REASON it has a C13 is because China and Australia will not let you use a C19 unless the plug on the other end (the one that plugs into the wall) can support 16A. Of course, most homes in China don't have a 16A plug to plug into, so that would be silly! And at 230V, there's no reason the PSU would ever NEED that much power!

And the plug type certainly has NOTHING to do with efficiency either. That's a big lie too.

It's actually EASIER and CHEAPER to get higher efficiency at higher mains voltages like 230V because of lower current. Lower current = less resistance. When you see a PSU that is "80 PLUS WHATEVER 230V", that is 99% of the time a PSU that cannot support lower mains voltages AT ALL. What they do is make the primary circuit half the size of the circuit in a full range PSU (example: A PSU that is advertised as a 1600W with 230V input would have a primary circuit similar to a full input range unit that only outputs 800W). So if this "reviewer" is really spreading that kind of message, he needs to shut down his site because he really doesn't know ANYTHING about what he's talking about.

TL/DR: There is NO DIFFERENCE between the two AX1600i variants OTHER THAN THE PLUG SOCKET. PERIOD.

Hello. I have exactly the same question. I purchased the ax1600i PSU from China which marked as 220v-240v input. but I am living in US. So based on what you said, I can use it in US with 110v input right? because internally they are exactly the same.

I have accumulated power cables from all over the planet. My RM650 was a Chinese model so I swapped out that cable for a NA variant and powered it it up.

Modern power supplies are 90-240V automatic unlike the ancient models which a switch.

• Corsair Employee
I have accumulated power cables from all over the planet. My RM650 was a Chinese model so I swapped out that cable for a NA variant and powered it it up.

Modern power supplies are 90-240V automatic unlike the ancient models which a switch.

Actually, there are some cheap ones out there that only do high line voltage.

As I said in my previous post:

When you see a PSU that is "80 PLUS WHATEVER 230V", that is 99% of the time a PSU that cannot support lower mains voltages AT ALL. What they do is make the primary circuit half the size of the circuit in a full range PSU (example: A PSU that is advertised as a 1600W with 230V input would have a primary circuit similar to a full input range unit that only outputs 800W).