Corsair Community

Strange noise - CX750F RGB

Hi everyone,

I literally built my new PC yesterday. Everything works great except the PSU. It makes a strange, irregular sound. I took it out of the case to be 100% sure it was a PSU and recorded it. Is this sound normal and I shouldn't be concerned? I do not have time to return the equipment for warranty and find out that this is the normal operation of the PSU.

Please help!

Recorded noise: https://voca.ro/16O2rlzScMER

• Corsair Employees
Hi everyone,

I literally built my new PC yesterday. Everything works great except the PSU. It makes a strange, irregular sound. I took it out of the case to be 100% sure it was a PSU and recorded it. Is this sound normal and I shouldn't be concerned? I do not have time to return the equipment for warranty and find out that this is the normal operation of the PSU.

Please help!

Recorded noise: https://voca.ro/16O2rlzScMER

What graphics card and when does it make the noise (idle, under load with certain games or bench marks, etc.)

Thanks for the quick replies. I don't think it's grime because it's a brand new PSU. This sound is a little louder than the fans and you can hear it through the closed chassis. Most often it occurs (almost all the time) in idle state, less often under load.

My build:

Motherboard:

Asus B550-E

Processor:

Ryzen V 5600x + AIO Corsair H115i RGB Platinum

Memory:

Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance RGB Pro

Video Card:

Asus ROG OC RTX 3070

Hard Drive:

XPG SX8200 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe Gen3 x 4 M.2

Case:

Corsair Obsidian 500d

Power Supply:

Corsair CX750F RGB 750W 80 Plus Bronze

Monitor:

Samsung Odyssey g7 32"

• Corsair Employees
Most often it occurs (almost all the time) in idle state, less often under load.

Ah. Then it's very likely the magnetics vibrating while the PSU's LLC controller is in burst mode.

It's a very common "problem" and there's papers and patents out there on how to address it, but it's almost impossible to get rid of completely.

Thanks for the advice! I was able to reduce the frequency of the annoying noises (but not completely eliminate it) by changing the power management settings in the BIOS. I also ordered ferrite beads and found an amazing video explaining the purpose of it.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

• 2 weeks later...