Corsair Community

RM650i Does SATA pin 3 = Power Disable

I am looking at getting a new WD HUH721010ALE604 hard drive:

https://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?itemID=452157

Apparently this conforms to the new SATA standard where pin 3 of the SATA power connector is a Power Disable signal. So I need to know if the SATA power connectors on my RM650i support this new SATA standard (SATA revision 3.3), or if they put +3.3 V on pin 3 as previous SATA connectors did. If they put +3.3 V on pin 3, they will not be compatible with my new drive and it will not power up. What revision of SATA standard do the RM650i power connectors support?

SATA standard does not operate like that at all.

SATA signalling is done via the DATA cable.

That hard disk will work fine with Windows 10 partitioned with GPT for general data use.

Incorrect. Please read this:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hdd-sata-power-disable-feature,36146.html

You will see that on the SATA power connector, pins 1-3 were originally 3.3 V connections. They have been changed so that there is no longer 3.3 V on the SATA power connector, with pins 1-2 now being designated as "reserved" and pin 3 as PWRDIS (Power Disable).

There are also numerous reports of SATA 3.3 compatible hard drives that fail to start when plugged onto older power supplies that provide 3.3 V on pin 3. Take a look at the user reviews on amazon.com and newegg.com for example.

apparently there's easy workarounds so it won't be an issue if you use Molex, or hack a Sata extension to cut the 3.3v wire.

Looked in the PSU manuel, it doesn't state which standards are used but i guess it won't be 3.3.

Looks to me like a server feature that we will most likely not see in consumer grade PSUs.

• Corsair Employees
I am looking at getting a new WD HUH721010ALE604 hard drive:

https://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?itemID=452157

Apparently this conforms to the new SATA standard where pin 3 of the SATA power connector is a Power Disable signal. So I need to know if the SATA power connectors on my RM650i support this new SATA standard (SATA revision 3.3), or if they put +3.3 V on pin 3 as previous SATA connectors did. If they put +3.3 V on pin 3, they will not be compatible with my new drive and it will not power up. What revision of SATA standard do the RM650i power connectors support?

Just cut the +3.3V on the SATA cable. :D:

I've found that only cheap PSUs leave the +3.3V off (to save money) or server/backplane PSUs support the power disable.