Corsair Community

Commander Pro problems

Praelia7or

Hi all,

I run Commander Pro's in my 1000D, I have a 2x480 and 2x360 rad setup with push-pull on the 480 rads, so basically lots of fans! 24 in total.

I run 8 SP-RGB Pro DC fans (0.3A rating) on each of 3 CoPros with 2 fan splitters on 2 headers which come in around half of their rated 1A max. So far I've had 3 commander pros fail, 2 1000D units, and now a regular one too.

I know these can't handle 3, 4 fans per header with ease like some motherboards can do but I'm working well within the ratings, with all Corsair hardware too.

I'm just wondering if I've been unlucky and can carry on with this setup, hopefully without more failures or if other people are experiencing the same thing. I basically have a 50-100% failure rate depending on how you look at it so either the units aren't up to it or I'm pushing them beyond what they should do without knowing it (and against the Corsair advice in the manual). Replacing them with Corsair hasn't been an issue so far but it's getting tiresome and eventually the warranty is gonna run out.

Hi all,

I run Commander Pro's in my 1000D, I have a 2x480 and 2x360 rad setup with push-pull on the 480 rads, so basically lots of fans! 24 in total.

I run 8 SP-RGB Pro DC fans (0.3A rating) on each of 3 CoPros with 2 fan splitters on 2 headers which come in around half of their rated 1A max. So far I've had 3 commander pros fail, 2 1000D units, and now a regular one too.

I know these can't handle 3, 4 fans per header with ease like some motherboards can do but I'm working well within the ratings, with all Corsair hardware too.

I'm just wondering if I've been unlucky and can carry on with this setup, hopefully without more failures or if other people are experiencing the same thing. I basically have a 50-100% failure rate depending on how you look at it so either the units aren't up to it or I'm pushing them beyond what they should do without knowing it (and against the Corsair advice in the manual). Replacing them with Corsair hasn't been an issue so far but it's getting tiresome and eventually the warranty is gonna run out.

You say you have had three Commander Pros fail. What makes you believe they failed?

I run 6 LL120 on a CP without any issue.

What motherboard/CPU are you using?

It's possible running 8 DC fans with voltage control is harder on the unit than 8 fans through PWM regulation --- as opposed to blowing the circuit with excessive current. This is speculative for sure, but it might have more merit if the entire unit becomes unresponsive across all headers. Typically when you blow the header in PWM mode it only takes out the one. That is hardly a golden rule, but at 3 total blow outs it is something to consider.

I did wonder about this, particularly as I'm running them as low as they can go 90% of the time, and it does line up to them getting pretty warm.

Switching to pwm would be a fairly costly undertaking but it would probably yield a quieter system too, tbh I thought the sp120 pros were pwm when I bought them but the new elites look like a good replacement.

I don't know. I am not sure how many users are running 6+ DC fans. The current RGB generation has shifted the masses far to the PWM side and we haven't been seeing the total unit failure. I don't think I have every run more than 3 DC fans at one time.

There are not a lot of them, but you might be able to find a powered DC fan hub that will take a control signal from one Commander header, but offloads some of the regulation to the other device. That could reduce the total overhead. I suspect the official answer would be "don't use more than 6".

Well the official answer is use 18 if you like, as it has DC support at a 1A max and they're 0.3A fans. It seems like this particular scenario just hasn't been considered in the CoPro specs/instructions. I would like to switch to PWM as it should allow me to run fans lower than I do currently but there's a pretty huge cost overhead. I might see if Corsair will maybe do something to meet in the middle given the number of units I've had fail and my 1000D front panel has also failed which is going to mean stripping my build apart anyway.