Corsair Community

Undesired behavior when assigning any key to act as a WIN key

I_Am_Deni

I'm new to iCUE. I bought a keyboard and mouse recently, the K55 and the Nightsword, respectively, and installed iCUE 4 (4.9.350). Being unfamiliar with iCUE, I've spent the past couple of days tinkering with it, and today I noticed some weird behavior when assigning apparently any key to act as a WIN key (happens regardless of whether it's a reassigned keyboard or mouse button):

1. When using the WIN+L shortcut to lock the desktop, with a key reassigned as WIN, the spacebar becomes unusable for entering the password to unlock Windows. From what I'm able to tell, it appears that iCUE no longer has control of the keyboard while in the login screen. When locking the PC with a reassigned WIN key, something happens where Windows then thinks that the WIN key is still being held down, which in turn makes the spacebar unusable, since it's apparently used for another Windows shortcut. Mashing the actual hardware WIN key doesn't fix it, and neither does bringing up the virtual keyboard and clicking the WIN key, and the virtual spacebar is also unresponsive. My Windows password uses spaces, so it makes it impossible to log back in unless I click "I forgot my PIN", then exit from the window that pops up. That somehow resets whatever is causing the problem and I'm able to use the spacebar again. This does not happen when using the real WIN key on the left side of the keyboard.

2. Normally, when you press the WIN key on a keyboard, the Start menu pops up once you let go of it. If you use the WIN key as part of a shortcut (for instance, WIN+D) the shortcut will execute, and the Start menu will not activate after letting go of the WIN key. This works as expected when using the physical WIN key on the keyboard, but when using a reassigned WIN key, however, the Start menu will always pop up regardless of whether or not another shortcut was executed before letting go of the WIN key. This, obviously, is not normal behavior.

I noticed both of the above mentioned issues when trying to turn the FN key into a regular WIN key, as is standard on most other keyboards. I didn't notice the lack of a right WIN key until after I've been playing around with it for a bit. As far as I can tell, the FN key on this keyboard doesn't do much of anything aside from programming the LEDs directly from the keyboard, which is functionality that I don't think I'd use, so I tried to reassign it into a WIN key with iCUE only to run into these problems. This is inconvenient for me since I habitually use the right WIN key for some Windows shortcuts, especially for locking the screen.

So anyway, is this a known bug? If so, any plans to fix it?

icue.thumb.png.443936797e557d8a603574834a5d59e1.png

• Corsair Employees
I'm new to iCUE. I bought a keyboard and mouse recently, the K55 and the Nightsword, respectively, and installed iCUE 4 (4.9.350). Being unfamiliar with iCUE, I've spent the past couple of days tinkering with it, and today I noticed some weird behavior when assigning apparently any key to act as a WIN key (happens regardless of whether it's a reassigned keyboard or mouse button):

1. When using the WIN+L shortcut to lock the desktop, with a key reassigned as WIN, the spacebar becomes unusable for entering the password to unlock Windows. From what I'm able to tell, it appears that iCUE no longer has control of the keyboard while in the login screen. When locking the PC with a reassigned WIN key, something happens where Windows then thinks that the WIN key is still being held down, which in turn makes the spacebar unusable, since it's apparently used for another Windows shortcut. Mashing the actual hardware WIN key doesn't fix it, and neither does bringing up the virtual keyboard and clicking the WIN key, and the virtual spacebar is also unresponsive. My Windows password uses spaces, so it makes it impossible to log back in unless I click "I forgot my PIN", then exit from the window that pops up. That somehow resets whatever is causing the problem and I'm able to use the spacebar again. This does not happen when using the real WIN key on the left side of the keyboard.

2. Normally, when you press the WIN key on a keyboard, the Start menu pops up once you let go of it. If you use the WIN key as part of a shortcut (for instance, WIN+D) the shortcut will execute, and the Start menu will not activate after letting go of the WIN key. This works as expected when using the physical WIN key on the keyboard, but when using a reassigned WIN key, however, the Start menu will always pop up regardless of whether or not another shortcut was executed before letting go of the WIN key. This, obviously, is not normal behavior.

I noticed both of the above mentioned issues when trying to turn the FN key into a regular WIN key, as is standard on most other keyboards. I didn't notice the lack of a right WIN key until after I've been playing around with it for a bit. As far as I can tell, the FN key on this keyboard doesn't do much of anything aside from programming the LEDs directly from the keyboard, which is functionality that I don't think I'd use, so I tried to reassign it into a WIN key with iCUE only to run into these problems. This is inconvenient for me since I habitually use the right WIN key for some Windows shortcuts, especially for locking the screen.

So anyway, is this a known bug? If so, any plans to fix it?

The iCUE software does not have a connection to the mouse and keyboard when the system is not logged in, and also if the iCUE software is not running when logged in. If you set a remap to Windows key to the spacebar button that rebind will not be active unless you are in Windows and iCUE is running.

As for getting the remap to work exactly like a Windows Key refer to the image I attached. Once you are on the Key Assignments section hit the + button under Assignments click on the Keyboard icon which I highlighted in yellow. Once you have done that in the image of the keyboard at the bottom click on the Windows Key highlighted in pink. And finally go the the large image of the keyboard and click on the spacebar or whatever key you wish to now be remapped to the Windows Key.

At that point whatever key you remapped will function exactly as a default Windows Key so long as you are logged into Windows and iCUE is running. If you wish for that to work as a hardware action you will need to select the Hardware Key Assignments section and then repeat the steps then save to the onboard memory of the keyboard.

KeyboardRemap-WindowsKey.thumb.png.047c7cc97f605f8ae8a1f9cb9e686de1.png

Thanks for replying, but I think you may have misunderstood what I was trying to get across, since I already addressed practically everything in your reply.

The iCUE software does not have a connection to the mouse and keyboard when the system is not logged in, and also if the iCUE software is not running when logged in. If you set a remap to Windows key to the spacebar button that rebind will not be active unless you are in Windows and iCUE is running.

I'm aware of iCUE not being accessible in the login screen, which I acknowledged in my post. I'm also not trying to rebind the spacebar, I discovered an issue trying to use the spacebar when rebinding another key. Windows thinks that the WIN key is still being held down when I'm in the lockscreen, if I use a reassigned WIN key to lock the screen. While the WIN key is being held down, the spacebar can't be used while typing a password, because WIN+Spacebar is a Windows shortcut.

As for getting the remap to work exactly like a Windows Key refer to the image I attached. Once you are on the Key Assignments section hit the + button under Assignments click on the Keyboard icon which I highlighted in yellow. Once you have done that in the image of the keyboard at the bottom click on the Windows Key highlighted in pink. And finally go the the large image of the keyboard and click on the spacebar or whatever key you wish to now be remapped to the Windows Key.

This is exactly what I did. I attached a screenshot in my original post of how I had it set up, which is how you described.

At that point whatever key you remapped will function exactly as a default Windows Key so long as you are logged into Windows and iCUE is running. If you wish for that to work as a hardware action you will need to select the Hardware Key Assignments section and then repeat the steps then save to the onboard memory of the keyboard.

Except it doesn't act exactly like the WIN key. In addition to causing problems when locking the screen, when using the reassigned WIN key as part of a Windows shortcut (for example, WIN+M, WIN+D, WIN+TAB), the start menu always pops up once the reassigned WIN key is released, which doesn't happen when I use the real WIN key on the keyboard.

Also, my K55 keyboard doesn't have hardware assignment available to it, as can be seen in the screenshot I posted. Although I'm trying to reassign the FN key on my keyboard, for the sake of testing, I did try to use hardware assignments on my mouse. I tried it on the sniper button, and when iCUE is not running, WIN+L works fine, and I can use spacebar when entering the login password. The Start menu still does not act as expected, though. If the sniper button is assigned to WIN both as a regular assignment and a hardware assignment, and I use the WIN+L shortcut while iCUE is running, it still locks my spacebar.

Some additional testing. I think I figured out why the Start menu keeps popping up when using a reassigned WIN key to execute a shortcut. It seems to me that Windows treats reassigned inputs as being a separate device, and when a Windows shortcut is executed using two separate devices, the Start menu will always pop up after the WIN key is released. I tested this in two ways. The first, by connecting a second keyboard and trying WIN+W, pressing one key on each keyboard. This caused the Start menu to always pop up after releasing WIN. The second way I tested this, is by using two reassigned keys on the keyboard. I reassigned both WIN+W, and it worked as expected when I pressed both of them by bringing up the whiteboard menu without the Start menu popping up, I think because Windows sees both of the reassigned keys as being part of the same device. I would prefer that this not be the case, but at least I know I can work around the issue by reassigning keys so Windows sees them as coming from the same device.

As for iCUE making the spacebar unusable when locking the PC using reassigned keys, I did some more testing, where instead of locking Windows, I held down a reassigned key while killing the iCUE process from task manager with my mouse. I reassigned the "L" key as itself, and held it down while killing iCUE from task manager. As I suspected, Windows still detected the reassigned key as being held down. I think something similar is happening when locking Windows while holding down a reassigned key.

So, now that I more or less know what's going on, can this be fixed? Can the developers make iCUE detect when the screen has been locked and tell Windows to release any reassigned keys that were being held down?