Corsair Community

Problem with a new build

I’m hoping someone can help me with an annoying problem I’m having with my PC (and that this is in the right area)

I recently took the plunge and fully upgraded my home rig after about 7 years but I’m having a persistent issue that I can’t seem to figure out how to fix.

Randomly, the PC will freeze and have to be restarted via the power button. Originally this was happening when the screen was off so I didn’t know if anything else was still running, however the RGB light were still active. The screens would wake up but just display a black screen. An external HDD light was still on and flashing as if data was still being written to it. Usually this is happening while I’m watching something via Plex on my TV with the PC running as a media server.

Noticeably, the RGB on the memory sticks have been set to a uniformed colour scheme via iCue, but when the PC crashes they default back to showing each stick cycling through the colours.

I have had it freeze on me while using the PC, the time it did it the memory RGB did the same as a previous freeze, but I could still move the mouse about, minimise and resize windows, but not much else. I couldn’t restart the PC from Windows nor could I get into a Ctrl-Alt-Del state to rest.

Recently I came across a thread that mentioned checking the firmware of the memory, which I did via iCue and the first time I tried to reflash it, it crashed. The second time it went through no problems and the PC ran fine for a few days. Now today, it’s back doing.

I’m hoping someone has a solution to this cause it’s driving me up the wall.

The spec is as follows:

AMD Ryzen 5800X

Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi)

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4-3600 CL18 (2x8GB) (CMW16GX4M2D3600C18)

Sabrent Rocket 4.0 500GB M.2-2280 NVME

Zotac GeForce RTX 2060

Corsiar H800i Liquid cooler

NZXT H500 case

Corsair RM 850W PSU

Windows 10 Home

Hi - What speed is your RAM set to in the bios? I have the same ram as you, when I set the Ram speed to anything over 3400 in the bios this happens to me too. I have an Asus ROG Strix z390 so the RAM speed isn't as critical as it is for the AMD chip.

Might be some help here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?121528-B550-F-DOCP-XMP-Profile-problem-Can-t-tune-RAM-s-to-3600Mhz/page2

Hi - What speed is your RAM set to in the bios? I have the same ram as you, when I set the Ram speed to anything over 3400 in the bios this happens to me too. I have an Asus ROG Strix z390 so the RAM speed isn't as critical as it is for the AMD chip.

Might be some help here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?121528-B550-F-DOCP-XMP-Profile-problem-Can-t-tune-RAM-s-to-3600Mhz/page2

I have the RAM set to 3600 in the BIOS using the DOCP auto setting.

BIOS has been updated to the latest version as I needed to do that so the processor would work.

I have the RAM set to 3600 in the BIOS using the DOCP auto setting.

BIOS has been updated to the latest version as I needed to do that so the processor would work.

Could you try manually changing the ram speed to 3400 and see if that helps?

Could you try manually changing the ram speed to 3400 and see if that helps?

I'll give it a go and see if it helps. Problem is it happens so randomly that it could be days till I know if it's helped.

And for some reason today iCue is showing a red warning triangle on the memory :brick:

Apologies if you know this but If I remember the RAM should be in A2 and B2 slots - on my Motherboard the 2nd and 4th from the CPU.

When I built the system I did have them in the wrong slots but managed to figure that out as the DOCP wasn't working and after going back to the manual, saw that I had them wrong.

Did think that was the cause but then it kept doing it after.

Are you running any software such as Asus Armoury Crate or any other software that controls RGB or works as hardware monitoring software such as HWinfo64, Aida64, etc...

Asus Armoury Crate is running but the memory RGB is controlled via iCUE.