Corsair Community

How accurate are the liquid temp sensors? Is post heat source normally a little less?

magarity

I have the temp sensor that came with my XD3 in its bottom as recommended and a second temp sensor from BitsPower after the CPU (the only heat source) but just before the radiator. The BP sensor is always showing about a quarter degree C less than the one in the rez, despite being after the CPU in the flow. I know that the thermodynamics are such that the fluid as a whole system should be really close at any given point but it just seems super strange that it's always just a wee bit lower post-heat source. Edited by magarity

Personaly i found the commander pro to be very imprecise when it comes to thermistances.

Maybe try to connect it to one of the other sensor sockets, see if you have the same readings, just to know if it's sensor variance or CoPro precision.

that said, they are not exactly very precise sensors either and even if you compared with a thermocouple, you can't set temperature offsets in iCUE. If they really are off, you could swap them around next time you drain the loop.

But usually yes, the thermistance just after the waterblocks is a tad warmer. The difference will mostly vary based on pump speed more than CPU load.

Generally they are relatively accurate and most definitely consistent. However, you do get these outliers sometimes that sit on a +- offset from everything else. It’s not the Corsair vs Bitspower aspect. Just inevitable differences between gear not manufactured for lab use. I usually set up with sensors on each radiator port for testing and I do sometimes get one that is off it’s mark showing an increase in temp passing through the radiator and I end up pulling it for another. I’ve got about 12 of the Bitspower/Corsair sensors and 3 didn’t make the grade.

Aside from checking them on air temp vs a laser temp device or something similar, it’s hard to know which of the two is the outlier. There are plenty of unique flow or positional reasons why one may show a higher/lower value than expected. Inside the typical D5 pump/res is definitely a place with multiple potential factors, but in my experience the bottom of a XD3 DDC is a good spot because the water is forced to pass by on the counterclockwise pull to the pump inlet. However, with only two points of data there’s no way to say which one is off target.

Thanks for the responses; I've had a chance to run the system all day doing BOINC / Einstein@Home as a stress test and the two temp sensors level out to about .05C difference so whatever causes it must be really minor. The reservoir one is always the slightly higher.

With the liquid just over 28C the CPU temp stays just above 66C. Compared to the air cooler where I once ran E@H about 20 seconds when CPU entered the low 90's and I panicked and quit it. So liquid cooling is definitely working out well.