Corsair Community

H100i V2 Cooling issues

Hello everyone. I just recently installed a H100i V2 AIO cooler on my i7 9700k. I am running a 5ghz overclock on the chip using the Intel XTU at default V core settings. My room is usually 20-22 degrees C, my idle temps are 32-33 C. Any kind of stress test and my package temp on the cpu goes to 80-85-90-95 in around 5 seconds after starting the load, ending up thermal throttling. I've read it's pretty common to mount these things improperly, so I've checked TWICE and all seems to be fine, I'm getting adequate spread on the thermal compound, and as far as I can tell I'm making good contact with the cold plate and the cpu IHS. In Corsair iCUE I have the pump maxed (says 3000RPM or so) and the fans set to "balanced". What am I doing wrong? This seems like terrible performance for a 280mm AIO.

At the stock turbo frequency 4.7ghz temps go straight to 70C and level off around 75C.

To me this seems like I either have a weak pump or there is a blockage somewhere in the rad. I'm brand new to water-cooling, so I don't have any experience with performance, but this does seem really underwhelming. Not even beating out a Hyper 212 Evo.

According to MSI Afterburner the CPU draws about 190W on the 5ghz overclock and around 125W on stock settings. Can this cooler really not handle 190W of heat dissipation? Frustrated.

Appreciate any insight, thanks.

Hello everyone. I just recently installed a H100i V2 AIO cooler on my i7 9700k. I am running a 5ghz overclock on the chip using the Intel XTU at default V core settings..

Start with that and get an exact Vcore reading for how much voltage is being applied. Once you go past the Intel default frequency, The Auto voltage table will pour it on to make sure the worst CPU remains stable. That is not going to be lowest temp possible.

You don’t have a contact issue. Both tests would be untenable if you did, starting at 95-100 regardless of voltage.

If you had a flow issue both test would start off fine for 20 seconds and then begin a steady climb to 50C+ Coolant temp. When you stop the test your cpu would be stuck at the same 50C level since coolant temp is minimum possible cpu temp. This also comes into play with low level loads and watching YouTube or browsing for an hour would climb to load like levels.

Thanks for the reply. I will check what XTU is boosting V core to. You think it's possible its just throwing a ton of voltage at it to keep it stable and that's why my temps are so bad? Still, MSI Afterburner is only reporting ~180-190W under full load. That itself makes me believe something is wrong.

Power output (watts) and CPU temperature are two different things. The power output will increase coolant temperature and that must be dissipated or the CPU temp will get worse. The current CPU temperature state is a function of its physical materials and the energy applied in any one instant of time. You can have a 1 core CPU overclocked to 6GHz and running 1.80v. It will hit 100C+ the moment it does anything, but the power output will be very low and the liquid temp would never change. Same thing in reverse with a 32 core workstation CPU outputting a lot of power, but at submaximal load and much lower core temperatures. The first situation is cooler irrelevant and the second is very cooler dependent.

A 9700K is somewhere in the middle, so while you would expect the coolant rise to be higher at 180W vs 125W, it's not 20C higher and that type of weakness would be very evident in the CPU temp behavior. It would start at 70C like the other but continually climb the longer the test runs. From what you described, the instant on 1 second in temp at the 5.0 setting is 90C+ and that means the voltage is having a strong effect -- whatever that value is.

Edited by c-attack

• Corsair Employees

Hello there. going from 4.7ghz to 5ghz is a much larger leap in power and demand than you would expect. Also, you are basing these temps off of a synthetic benchmark that stresses the system beyond normal means. Check your temps while doing everyday tasks like gaming, rendering, or whatever you prefer to do.

Also with many motherboards, you can not touch the vcore, but the board will adjust it themselves. So your vcore could very well be higher than you expect. I would check it.