Corsair Community

keyboard k100 macro

Hello,

I recently purchased a corsair k100 rgb keyboard from your brand.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it but a few points, which I will share with you, still make me a little disappointed with this one and especially with the "iCUE" program, which is related to this one.

First of all, I don't really understand this macro system. We have two locations for these in the "iCUE" program. The first being the "Action" slot and the second "Hardware action". The latter therefore incorporating all the macros recorded directly via the keyboard and therefore without going through the application.

They cannot therefore be used when the keyboard is connected to the "iCUE" program. Which is almost never the case since I hardly ever carry my keyboard like the majority of players with this keyboard. In addition, the macros recorded via the "wheel" used for this cannot be transferred from the "hardware action" location to "action".

I do not understand the usefulness of this "wheel" with respect to macros since all its potential has been restricted. Would it therefore be possible to automatically save macros in the "Action" tab of the iCUE application when the keyboard is connected to this one? Would that allow us to do our macro directly from the game and not from the application?

In addition, it would be possible to make the action libraries common between that of "actions" and that of "material actions". This would also greatly help the visibility of the maccros that we have made? I do not see either why there is not a system like at your competitor Logitech, which allows to differentiate the maccros according to the games all automatically? (without profile change)

If any of this is already possible, I'm sorry but after several hours of searching I couldn't find anything. I'm also sorry for the quality of this message directly translated via an automatic translator.

Looking forward to your feedback, A ALMOST satisfied customer.

Hatoxy.

Edit: And just one question: When I set up de macro by the wheel of keyboard, I can't use this just after. it's normal?

Edited by hatoxy

1) Actions vs Hardware Actions - these are the two mechanisms for creating macros (and lighting) for use when the software is running (Actions) and when it is not (Hardware Actions). Hardware Actions must be physically saved to the KB and without the software running you won't be able to do all the same things when the full system resources are available. CUE used to utilize a more traditional create and "save to device" system, but a fair number of users had a hard time understanding the rules, why it wouldn't save, or what they needed to do. So they split it off into two distinct sections with the rules written into the Hardware interface for actions and lighting. Unfortunately, there is no transfer from normal Actions mode to Hardware mode or vice versa. You will need to create the macros in both zones, if you need them saved to the KB as well.

2) Control Wheel Macros - In software mode, it will add the macro to your current software profile. In hardware mode, it will add them to the current hardware mode profile. Again, no transferring between modes. It's hard to think of a reason to use the wheel when in software mode as you can easily do this with the mouse and app window, but perhaps this benefits someone. In hardware mode, it is the way to save macros to the KB without needing to go back into software mode, create and save.

3) I am not really sure what kinds of macros you are trying to create in game or their purpose, but obviously most people are doing it as a shortcut of some type. Since CUE is a global control system for both peripheral and internal devices from fans to AIOs to PSUs. etc., it makes sense for it to have a profile system. You can link apps to specific profiles. You can create shortcut keys to jump between profiles (full switch or just while holding). There is an extreme amount of capability, but like any complex system it requires some time to figure it out. One thing you can do is save these macros to the Actions Library so they can be easily copied to other profiles rather than re-creating, especially if they are lengthy. You also might want to check out CUE 4 that launched this week. There are some macro improvements and the creation method is a bit more flexible and I would describe it as easier. However, you still must create software actions in the Actions Tab and save to KB actions in the Hardware tab. In CUE 4, both of those have their own libraries so you can save both sets.

Corsair CUE 4 Blog

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/blog/icue4?_ga=2.90395167.481118135.1615862256-613553150.1599183070

2) Control Wheel Macros - In software mode, it will add the macro to your current software profile. In hardware mode, it will add them to the current hardware mode profile. Again, no transferring between modes. It's hard to think of a reason to use the wheel when in software mode as you can easily do this with the mouse and app window, but perhaps this benefits someone. In hardware mode, it is the way to save macros to the KB without needing to go back into software mode, create and save.

When I record macros using the control wheel, the macro always goes to Hardware actions not software action, even if iCUE is running.

• Corsair Employees

When I record macros using the control wheel, the macro always goes to Hardware actions not software action, even if iCUE is running.

You should refer to the Quick Start Guide that came with your K100 as what you are asking is detailed there step by step. If you threw out your QSG that came with your keyboard or can't find it you are able to find it by going to the K100 product page and going to DOWNLOADS or you can click on the link below.

https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/49_001877_AB_NA_K100_RGB_Optical_Mechanical_QSG.pdf

You should refer to the Quick Start Guide that came with your K100 as what you are asking is detailed there step by step. If you threw out your QSG that came with your keyboard or can't find it you are able to find it by going to the K100 product page and going to DOWNLOADS or you can click on the link below.

https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/49_001877_AB_NA_K100_RGB_Optical_Mechanical_QSG.pdf

I did what the QSG said but the macros that I record still goes to 'Hardware Key Assignments', not to 'Key Assignments', is there a way to direct the Macros recorded from the control wheel to 'Key Assignments'?? Thank you very much:biggrin:

I'm an Unreal engine developer - anyone who's worked in that engine knows that Epic can make some really obscure/labyrinthine systems - (God help you if you want to do animation in UE) and with so many legacy systems built on the different versions on 4, it's no wonder there are areas of confusion - but iCUE seems like it deliberately made obtuse for people who didn't actually program iCUE itself. It's as if the devs don't like their users, this thing is so non-intuitive.

I'm having the same problem getting ANYTHING to happen with the control wheel. It's not a matter of it being in software/hardware mode, because I still have icue running and I can see the new Custom mode on the list and the custom color for that mode is shown on the actual keyboard itself and in iCUE. And yet the simple action macro I've assigned to it doesn't seem to happen regardless of me using the wheel. (wheel works on the native functions, just not any custom macro)

Experience has shown me this should be user error. So what am I missing here?

• Corsair Employees
Screenshots of your entire iCUE software showing the actions/macros you are attempting to setup would give us a lot more information to go on. As far as I can tell you are attempting to set Hardware Actions instead of the software actions and expect those hardware actions to work when iCUE is running which they will not.

Figured it might be something like that - however I tried to use macros created on the Key assignment (software I'm assuming) and I could never make control wheel assignment profiles set to those software macros. Can you advise what I'm missing?

• Corsair Employees
As I previously stated screenshots at this time of the entire iCUE software showing what you are attempting to do would be needed since your description of the issue leads me to believe you are attempting to utilize Hardware Actions which is only active when iCUE is closed. Though you are claiming otherwise.

• 4 months later...

Dear support,

I'd like to pick this thread up again since I'm facing the same issue.
I recently got me two K100 keyboards. Used to have K70's in use.

I want to use the on-the-fly macro recording (actually that was the main reason for buying the K100's).
It generally works as expected, but recording a macro ALWAYS stores it in the hardware profile. It does not matter whether the iCUE software is running or not.

I have the iCUE window open (so yes, the software is running for sure).
No macros are currently existing in iCUE mode (and there also are none in hardware mode):

1.JPG.1381aa00dc3165595eb8c85d6afd45fc.JPG

Now I switch the Control Wheel to "red mode", press the button to record a macro, select G6, press "a" two times and G6 again.
But the macro is recorded to Hardware Key Assignments and shows up there:

2.thumb.JPG.a12d1f2426fc28c0173929e4c5d965bc.JPG

That is not the expected behavior which is: Control Wheel Macros - In software mode, it will add the macro to your current software profile. In hardware mode, it will add them to the current hardware mode profile

Instead all macros I record using the wheel go to hardware mode, no matter whether iCUE is running at recording time or not.
Please help and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!
Chris

Edit: I'm using the latest V4 version which currently is v.4.13.226

Edited by ckris
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am having this same issue. I am certain I am not confused about hardware versus software actions.

I have setup "G1" to type the text "software mode" on the software actions and "G1" to type the text "hardware mode" in my hardware actions. I set this up in iCue manually to verify which mode I am in.

If I have iCue open and bring up notepad and hit "G1" I get "software mode" typing as expected via the recorded macro. I then proceed to follow steps to record a macro using the wheel and save to "G2". Not only does this save the macro to the hardware profile section while I am absolutely using software mode, but these macros also do not work in hardware mode either. They do show up under the Hardware Actions section but the macro is not functional at all despite the events all showing as expected when I view the macro.

To be absolute certain this is not me being confused. I can follow these same steps with iCue closed and it works just fine. I am able to save a macro to hardware profiles with iCue closed without issue, but this does not work for software profiles (the feature is not functional with iCue open). There is definitely a bug of some kind here. Please advise.

I am more than happy to join a call and walk someone through these steps or record a video of these actions.

Edited by tonydeftones

• 1 month later...

My K100 has the same problem.
When iCUE is running, use the wheel to record the macro to the G key.
Nevertheless, macros are recorded in the Hardware Macros section.
I've tried it on two different computers and I'm having similar issues.
I want to record macros on the fly, so I'm in great trouble.
I need a solution to this problem.