Corsair Community

cpuz141 paging BSOD on re-install

Hello,

I have been using a Corsair One since 2017. Yesterday it crashed after a Windows 10 version update, and has not recovered.

I learned about "corsairvbus" driver problem with the update, but at the time I just wanted to recover use of the system, so I went to the F8 menu and re-installed.

It has continued to BSOD now at 67% installation, even after selecting the lengthy complete erase option. I cannot even boot to safe mode through F8. I can only boot to the command prompt mode that runs Windows PE on the X: mount.

I was surprised to see some of my old drivers still on C: with the dism command, because I though a complete re-install would remove them?

I do not need any of the data on the PC. Can anyone suggest how to recover it's functionality?

I may have resolved the problem in an unusual way.

I couldn't disbale the Corsair Link service from the PE command line, but I went into c:\program files (x86) and renamed the CorsairLink4 directory. Then the install finally proceeded past the 67% point for the first time. Now I am in the setup menus configuring the new OS.

I did not had the Blue screen but had a similar experience trying to upgrade to the lastest Window 10 update (20h)

It was stuck at reboot at the boot options menu. I was always able to go back to windows as after a few reboot, it was uninstalling the update.

At the end I had to do a clean windows 10 installation (keeping the personal files)

Something is indeed up with some Corsair software not compatible with the latest windows 10 update that came out in October. Come on Corsair you are better than that...

but they aren't really... iCUE was the replacement for Corsair Link and it is just as bad if not worse. The software is just complete enough to say it has x features, but IMHO it is not worth the resources it consumes. It is barely functional and the user experiences is atrocious.

Me and at least one other user have had iCUE completely turn off the only fan in our CorsairONE causing the firmware to go into panic mode when the loops started overheating.

When I reported this issue in a support ticket, they said they would reach out to the iCUE team and get back to me. They never got back to me, they ghosted me.

The a100 ships with a custom BIOS that prevents me from updating them with anything other than Corsair approved BIOS. There have been 8 BIOS updates for the retail version of this motherboard and Corsair has not provided an update. There is another BIOS update coming next month that will fix USB issues I am having with this motherboard, but Corsair has made it clear they will not update the BIOS unless there is a security vulnerability. (See Here)

There is also the numerous people who have tried to pay for repairs or get replacement parts for their systems only to be denied.

So no Corsair is not better than that. This is par for the course for Corsair and you shouldn't expect anything more. Purchasing a machine from them was a mistake, and I will probably never buy another Corsair product again. It is a shame because I really liked their keyboards and headsets.

Edited by Azureblood2

This was the first time I had run into a problem since I bought the system in 2017, so I can't say it was a bad experience. I just uninstalled Consairlink after I got the system online, and haven't downloaded ICUE yet. I don't really see the need for the extra resource control.

I disconnected the fan from the CPU cooler and connected it directly to the motherboard fan header. You can control the fan via the motherboard fan profiles.

I set mine to 100% because you can only do a fan curve on the CPU temp and not the CPU / GPU coolant temp. At the distance the computer is from me I can barely hear the fan, so it doesn't bother me.

I had a similar experience over the weekend. I noticed that my fan had stopped and none of the profiles in iCue worked. Fan at 0 in every profile. I also noticed that a Windows update had downloaded in the background and was awaiting a system restart to complete installation. I rebooted and the Windows update installed and iCue reloaded and worked again as normal.

Maybe just a coincidence that the two events (iCue fan profiles not working and Windows update awaiting reboot) happened at the same time. But maybe the two are somehow related.

Having said that, I don't think uninstalling iCue and reconfiguring the fan to run off the motherboard fan header is the best approach for everyone. iCue has worked fine for me overall. I've had the 0 fan speed bug happen twice, but a simple restart fixed it both times. My system, and iCue, have been rock solid otherwise.

But is there another way to control the fan? I always thought that you need ICUE to control it. For exmaple. I set it to 60% all the time but when playing I put it to default and let ICUE decide which RPM to use.

I set mine at 50%, which is quiet but keeps both the CPU and GPU in the 30s on average. And you don't need to switch profiles when playing games or doing other intensive tasks - the fan will automatically ramp up as needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/14/2021 at 3:28 AM, Nonpagingarea said:

I may have resolved the problem in an unusual way.

I couldn't disbale the Corsair Link service from the PE command line, but I went into c:\program files (x86) and renamed the CorsairLink4 directory. Then the install finally proceeded past the 67% point for the first time. Now I am in the setup menus configuring the new OS.

Love you man - I find so amazing that Corsair is not able to post a solution so simple as you found. I owe you a beer!