Corsair Community

CorsairOne i165 flashing red lights during a simple update

Just got my CorsairOne i165 and immediately upon booting it up, I began transferring files from my external hard drive and running standard Windows updates. The blue color bars started flashing red.

Now, I'm no hardcore power user but when I see flashing red lights, I know that's bad.

The light on the right side kept blinking red. I opened up iCUE and saw that the CPU temp was at 69 celsius. That cannot be normal right? All I'm doing is running Windows updates. I'm not even gaming or doing anything else.

I'm worried in the long run I'm going to have issues if I'm already flashing red lights right out the gate.

CPU Temps are fine upto 95c, and GPU temps are fine up until 85c. Typically you shouldn't see GPU temps above 65c, I have an AMD CPU in mine so I can't tell you the typical CPU temps.

This is probably an iCUE bug not turning the fan on, and then the firmware on the lighting controller goes into a panic mode once the water in the cooling loops hits 60c.

I had this issue with iCUE on my a100, you can either set the fan to 100% (Extreme profile) in iCUE or uninstall it and connect the fan to your motherboard fan header. If you go the second route make sure you keep the fan at 100% as it won't be able to ramp up in response to the GPU loop getting hot.

I opted to uninstall iCUE because it is worthless as a monitoring tool, failed as a fan controller, and due to a driver bug failed as a lighting controller.

Edited by Azureblood2

As Azureblood2 said, the CPU temperature you report is fine.

Here's what I would do: Open iCue when you boot your computer. Open to the Home/Devices screen where you can see the fan speed, pump speeds and coolant temps. Then, if the red light happens again, look to see what iCue is showing. Is the fan spinning (you should be able to hear it)? What are the coolant temps? Are both pumps running?

If the fan isn't spinning, open the Performance tab in iCue and set the fan curve to Extreme. The fan should spin up to full speed and you should be able to hear it. If it's not spinning at all, I'd open the top of the case and make sure the fan is plugged in. I may have come loose.

People have had different experiences with iCue, but it's always worked just fine for me. I had one time where the fan wouldn't spin up, but I just exited from iCue (closed the app entirely) and restarted it, and the fan worked normally again. So I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that iCue is the problem and uninstall it. It's worked fine for me.

Post your experiences here. Maybe we can help troubleshoot.

I've generally found iCUE not be worth the resources that it consumes.

As a lighting controller, it is better than most that I've used... I'll give it that. Somethings aren't very intuitive / klunky to use but it works... when it can actually connect to the lighting device... I uninstalled it because of this and just let the motherboard control my fan.

As a monitoring program, it is constantly updating they y-axis of its graphs, which it doesn't label so you can't really tell what is going on. It also interferes with HWiNFO, which has actually useful graphs.

As a fan controller I've also found that it isn't that great. It seems like it behaves differently for each cooling device (H150 vs CorsairONE). From the experience I've had with multiple devices, setting custom curves is basically useless due to the graph topping out at 60c. With the CorsairOne (a100) they removed curves completely, you can use the default curve, Extreme (100%), or a custom %. They don't allow you to add new fan profiles, you get those three and that is it.

Considering there is a warning at the bottom basically stating they will override your fan curve if it gets too hot, they should've allowed us to have custom curves based on the CPU / GPU loop temp

The light on the right side kept blinking red. I opened up iCUE and saw that the CPU temp was at 69 celsius. That cannot be normal right? All I'm doing is running Windows updates. I'm not even gaming or doing anything else.

I reread your post and just realized that I'm not sure what temperature you are seeing. When you say iCue is showing the CPU temp at 69 C, is that reading the CPU temp or the CPU coolant temp? If the CPU temp, then that reading is fine. But if it's the CPU coolant temp, then that is definitely far too high and probably explains the flashing light.

If that's the coolant temperature, then the problem still could be the fan if it is not spinning up. But if the fan is spinning (and it should be going full blast if the coolant temp is that high), then it may be you have a defective AIO cooler or coolant temp sensor. You should definitely reach out to Corsair support in that event.

Edited by Queeg

As a fan controller I've also found that it isn't that great. It seems like it behaves differently for each cooling device (H150 vs CorsairONE). From the experience I've had with multiple devices, setting custom curves is basically useless due to the graph topping out at 60c. With the CorsairOne (a100) they removed curves completely, you can use the default curve, Extreme (100%), or a custom %. They don't allow you to add new fan profiles, you get those three and that is it.

I think the graphing axis is maxed at 60 C because it is measuring the temperature of the coolant not the CPU itself. And from my observation of the Corsair One, I think the top fan also spins up or down based upon coolant temps, rather than CPU or GPU die temps.

The guy at Optimum Tech did a video not long ago about why he thinks it makes more sense to base the fan controller on coolant temps rather than die temps. That's what they've done with the Corsair One.

I think the OP's lights are flashing because his coolant temp is hitting above 60 C. That could be due to the fan not running (which could be a connection or software problem) or because the AIO is defective or the AIO sensor is defective.

Edited by Queeg

I think the graphing axis is maxed at 60 C because it is measuring the temperature of the coolant not the CPU itself. And from my observation of the Corsair One, I think the top fan also spins up or down based upon coolant temps, rather than CPU or GPU die temps.

The guy at Optimum Tech did a video not long ago about why he thinks it makes more sense to base the fan controller on coolant temps rather than die temps. That's what they've done with the Corsair One.

I think the OP's lights are flashing because his coolant temp is hitting above 60 C. That could be due to the fan not running (which could be a connection or software problem) or because the AIO is defective or the AIO sensor is defective.

The flashing lights are most definitely the coolant temp going above 60C, the firmware is taking over from iCUE, blasting the fan, and letting the user know there is an issue in the only way it can: Flashing red lights. I ran into this exact issue, it wasn't defective hardware. It was defective software, iCUE, not turning the fan on at all. The iCUE diagnostic logs showed that it set 0% fan speed for all temps between 40 and 60c.

I agree that it is probably better to base the fan speed on the coolant temp. I have my fan speed set to 100% since I can't do that with my fan connected to the motherboard header.

That being said, this should not be the basis for your graphing axis. The graphing axis is a display concern of the application and shouldn't be bound by the hardware implementation. ESPECIALLY since you have the option to choose sensors that go WAY above that threshold. This software is also being used to control fans for systems without water cooling loops, IDK how this even works on those systems TBH...

I stand by iCUE is a pretty bad piece of software that should be avoided if at all possible.

• Corsair Employee

Hey infinet, sorry for the late reply. If you're getting flashing red on the right side, it generally means that system isn't getting proper airflow and may be overheating. Make sure you don't have the system against a wall and that you have plenty of airflow from all sides of the system.

If you continue to get the red flashing, please contact our Support team so we can help look further into the issue with you.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new