Corsair Community

PLEASE HELP! Combining Commander Core and Lightning Core

Hello,

I just built my PC and I'm having an issue figuring out how to connect all of my corsair fans.

Case came with 3 fans on front, I have the H150i Elite AIO that came with 3 fans, and I have an extra fan on the rear of the case.

The case came with a pwm fan hub, and the lightning node core. The AIO came with the commander core.

As of now, im ONLY using the commander core to power 6 fans + RGB. The reason for this, is the Commander Core needs to be plugged into a USB 2.0 header on my mobo, but so does the lightning node core... I only have 1 USB 2.0 header... So as a result, ive just plugged the 7th fan into the mobo and it works, but doesnt have any RGB functionality.

Now, in my mind, If i buy a USB 2.0 hub, and plug the 7th fan into the fan controller/ lightning node core that came with the case, and plug that usb 2.0 into the hub, along with the commander core, I should be good to go... right?

Or would you recommend just getting a splitter for both the fan and the rgb, and connect that to the commander core directly? effectively allowing the commander to control 7 fans, instead of 6...

To me, it would be easiest to just use the USB hub, and plug remaining 7th fan into the controllers that came with the case, and plug that in, along with the commander, but idk if they will work together, or if running commander core and lightning node core on same USB port will create problems?

Sorry for the novel, but I'm just stumped and dont want to just assume something will work and end up frying my commander core (i read someone did that using the nzxt hub) or frying the usb port on my mobo.

Thanks for any help!

• Corsair Employees

Whilst we can't guarantee the efficacy of third party products such as that - in theory, yes a motherboard USB header hub should work in that capacity.

The main restriction on the USB headers is bandwidth - which should not be a concern for this particular scenario.