Corsair Community

Corsair Vengeance a7200 BIOS updates

Looks like a new BIOS version for the MSI B550-A Pro was released recently, but it seems like the BIOS for the a7200 is incompatible with that bios... As this motherboard is being affected by AMD Ryzen USB issues, I definitely think it's important that corsair stays on top of providing equivalent BIOS updates until it's solved. Is there a way to manually apply these updates to this system?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the late reply, we generally release BIOS updates for our systems to address security vulnerabilities but we do review BIOS releases for major issues.

I'm sure this is already on your radar, but there is an updated AGESA (AGESA 1.2.0.2) that supposedly will resolve the USB issue. I think AMD will be sending this out to motherboard manufacturers in the next few days.

Thanks!

Like OP I would appreciate keeping up with this. Have my new A7200 Vengeance PC and have been having hardware errors in event viewer and usb disconnect problems. Researched and appears to be the AMD Ryzen 5000 usb disconnect issue with MSI B550 A Pro motherboard. I hate to return PC as no other issues and seems hardware is fine from other tests I have run. I am hoping the bios update will fix these annoying problems. Thank you for anything you can do to resolve this issue and get new bios out.

Sorry for the late reply, we generally release BIOS updates for our systems to address security vulnerabilities but we do review BIOS releases for major issues.

I've had the USB disconnect issue twice now and I just received my Vengeance from Corsair.

Considering the BIOS is locked and I can't update the BIOS with MSI's stock flash, only Corsair's version I, and I'd imagine everyone else, would really appreciate if Corsair would make it a priority to get this update out as soon as possible.

I've had the USB disconnect issue twice now and I just received my Vengeance from Corsair.

Considering the BIOS is locked and I can't update the BIOS with MSI's stock flash, only Corsair's version I, and I'd imagine everyone else, would really appreciate if Corsair would make it a priority to get this update out as soon as possible.

+1, really need to keep up with updates on the BIOS as they become available with minimal lag behind MSI.

For those wondering, even with the AC9 BIOS (which wildly isn’t even posted on the downloads page but that’s a whole different issue), resizable BAR does NOT work on NVIDIA GPUs. Resizable BAR and 4G/Mining is enabled in BIOS, VBIOS has been flashed to the 3070 Eagle OC, and I’m using today’s NVIDIA drivers. RBAR is still showing as disabled. Looks like MSI had an additional BIOS update for the B550 A Pro that improved RBAR compatibility with NVIDIA GPUs. This is the fix that we are missing.

Corsair needs to make a statement of direction regarding this. If they aren’t going to update their own BIOS, then at the very least say so, so those of us that actually want to stay current on features can replace the motherboard to end this charade...

EDIT: In particular AGESA 1.2.0.0 includes the NVIDIA RBAR support. Corsair should at the bare minimum keep up with AMD’s microcode updates, we shouldn’t have to wait for a catastrophic security flaw to get Corsair to update the microcode...

Edited by Koopa777
More info added

Have you tried uninstalling iCUE? I've been seeing people mention issues with it. I usually end up closing it when I boot my system up and it's been more stable but every reboot I run increased the chance of running into the USB issue. Since I've uninstalled the iCUE software I haven't had the USB disconnects. It's something you can try in the meantime while waiting for the AGESA update to roll out.

• 2 weeks later...

A-ha! So that's why the MSI firmware doesn't show up in the M-Flash?

Like others, I'd hate to return the unit. I've also sometimes seen the RBG go dark when the USB issue kicks in.

I'm subscribing to this thread so, hopefully, I'll be informed when Corsair resolves this.

i noticed that i don't have the AMD smart access memory option on my mother board but i cant update the bios for some reason even thou I've downloaded from the manufacturer website and watched videos on how to update the bios.. It seems like I'm stuck on Bios version A.C9 any help or suggestions?

i noticed that i don't have the AMD smart access memory option on my mother board but i cant update the bios for some reason even thou I've downloaded from the manufacturer website and watched videos on how to update the bios.. It seems like I'm stuck on Bios version A.C9 any help or suggestions?

You should have it in your bios listed as “Resizable BAR.” The problem is the current microcode version from AMD in Corsair’s BIOS (AGESA 1.1.0.0) only supports AMD RX 6000 cards. AGESA 1.2.0.0 is needed for NVIDIA cards.

I gave up. Call me pessimistic but I’ve owned “gaming” laptops before with locked BIOS, I’ve seen how this story ends. I bought an MSI X570 Unify motherboard which should be here late next week, when I will replace it and end this charade. Looking forward to having real support and fixing some issues, like no RBAR support (AGESA 1.2.0.0), fixing the L3$ cache bug (AGESA 1.2.0.1), and fixing the USB disconnects (AGESA 1.2.0.2). Not to mention if Corsair will support the new Zen 3+ (Warhol) CPUs releasing later this year, as I imagine that will require a BIOS update as well. I certainly hope they do update it for people sticking with their current motherboard, this is absolutely unacceptable on Corsair’s part. They made a decision to lock it down, and they must also be responsible for the updates that come as a part of that.

*Sigh* Initiated a return of my a7200 (5800x) just now. Koopa777's comments regarding locked bios are spot-on. Everything else about this machine is lovely but having my USB drives spontaneously disconnect makes the machine totally broken, IMHO.

*grumble*

Edit: One thing: I had mentioned earlier that I thought the RGB lighting had "switched off" during one of the USB drop-offs. Looking closely at the CPU cooler, it has a USB connection to the RGB controller evidently.

Edited by rumplestiltskin

*Sigh* Initiated a return of my a7200 (5800x) just now. Koopa777's comments regarding locked bios are spot-on. Everything else about this machine is lovely but having my USB drives spontaneously disconnect makes the machine totally broken, IMHO.

*grumble*

Edit: One thing: I had mentioned earlier that I thought the RGB lighting had "switched off" during one of the USB drop-offs. Looking closely at the CPU cooler, it has a USB connection to the RGB controller evidently.

An important note is that the USB dropouts not being fixed is not Corsair’s fault, as AMD themselves have not delivered AGESA 1.2.0.2 to motherboard partners yet. ASUS allegedly had a fix in their newest boards, but it’s effectiveness is debatable. AGESA 1.2.0.1 technically is still in beta on most boards as well, so if the USB disconnect issue is the reason you issued the return, know the fix does not exist ANYWHERE as of yet. The concern is they have an updated to 1.2.0.0 which has been available for months, and they refuse to comment on any timetable, which paints a very dark picture as future updates. I went the route of buying a new motherboard because with the inflated prices, it’s not like I can get parts for much cheaper anyway, just now I’m treating it as my own system and ignoring Corsair entirely.

An important note is that the USB dropouts not being fixed is not Corsair’s fault, as AMD themselves have not delivered AGESA 1.2.0.2 to motherboard partners yet. ASUS allegedly had a fix in their newest boards, but it’s effectiveness is debatable. AGESA 1.2.0.1 technically is still in beta on most boards as well, so if the USB disconnect issue is the reason you issued the return, know the fix does not exist ANYWHERE as of yet. The concern is they have an updated to 1.2.0.0 which has been available for months, and they refuse to comment on any timetable, which paints a very dark picture as future updates. I went the route of buying a new motherboard because with the inflated prices, it’s not like I can get parts for much cheaper anyway, just now I’m treating it as my own system and ignoring Corsair entirely.

Had I not just spent $2500+, I might go down the same path (assuming I had a machine that was running the 3000 series CPU properly for a few years). However, my thinking is that the a7200 should never have been sold to me (in late March) with Corsair knowing that I could not use USB devices reliably. I don't think it was my responsibility to investigate this issue; I only learned about it after my HDs were spontaneously unmounting and I came here to research the issue.

So, I agree that the issue isn't Corsair's fault; but I need to get my work done so it's going back Monday morning. Damn shame, as the machine was fast, silent and ran cool. But I have 30TB of external storage and I can't use it reliably.

I ordered an Intel Core-i9 top of the line Legion T7i. The video card is "only" a 2080 Super but I'm not a gamer, just a photographer and that GPU should be quite enough.

Thanks for your input.

Barry

Any updates on this? I think the updated AGESA has been out for nearly a month, and the MSI BIOS looks like it's also been updated... It would be nice to at least get a timeline on this.

Why on earth is Corsair still selling AMD systems knowing that this issue exists and there is no fix for it? Going to go cancel my order now (5600x - RTX 3070). I guess I should be happy that I came across this issue before getting the PC only to have to turn around and return it.

So for people freaking out, I did too and am still not satisfied. I posted early in the thread that I was experiencing this issue. But I researched some and this is a problem that affects some AMD motherboards and newest processors. So this is not exclusive to Corsair nor should they be blamed for shipping out systems with this issue. I have an A7200 with an AMD 5800x processor and MSI B550A-Pro motherboard. instead of returning my system, I found that setting the power control idle to typical in the bios, and from switching from Auto to PCIE3 in the motherboard bios as well has fixed the USB disconnect issue temporarily and at least most of the hardware errors. As AMD has just released the bios fix to the manufacturers, I trust that Corsair will update their version of the bios as soon as they are able. But until then I have mitigated the problem with these settings and recommend them for others with the same hardware and problems and wish to stick with system until the update. I believe is is more of an AMD problem than one exclusive to Corsair. Anyone from Corsair reading this I have put my trust in you and that you will fix this. Thanks!

Maybe it would have been better to say that Corsair shouldn't be blamed for this issue exclusively. It is present in other systems from other manufacturers with the same motherboards/processors. I simply wanted to post if there are others like me that want to take the gamble that Corsair will do their job and update bios like they should, there were settings in bios that reduced the severity and frequency of the errors until they release the updated bios to all of us. I hope my optimism isn't unfounded and that these issues are fixed asap. But at least with my settings things are improved somewhat until they do so. Good luck to everyone and hope this issue will soon be gone and we can enjoy our new computers without these worries. Had the market been different and gpus and systems were more available I would have returned system quickly like some of you. Take care.

Alright Corsair, since you locked the BIOS when are you issuing an update? Beta BIOS 7C56vA65 is live.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-ryzen-usb-issue-fix-bios-agesa-msi/

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B550-A-PRO

Does somewhat mean the issue is gone or just not as bad with the changes you described above? If you're still having issues, can you describe what they are?

Before setting power control idle to typical and PCI-E auto to PCI-E 3 I was having frequent usb disconnects. Wireless keyboard and mouse unresponsive, going in and out while typing , connection going in and out even when trying to log in to system. RGB lights would come on and off signaling a disconnect. In Reliability monitor I was having hardware errors related to the usb showing up daily (error 3003 i think). Most importantly my external ssd I have connected for extended game storage would disconnect too. I first messed with the c states setting in bios but seemed like overkill. Since changing settings in bios i posted the wireless device disconnects are nonexistant and I have played games for hours off of external hdd without disconnect or errors. hardware errors are reduced by 75 percent or more. Only things crashing are icue sometimes. But overall system is stable enough to enjoy. I found information on problem and solution by researching and searching on reddit. I now see Corsair has responded again and since fix is out for exact MSI motherboard I hope they will release updated bios soon. Until then I will continue with these settings and hope if others have same system and problem maybe my settings will help them.

Hi everyone,

I've reached out to our Systems team again about BIOS updates and once I get more information, I'll relay it back to you all! Thanks for your interest.

Thanks for keeping up with this. Appreciate anything y'all can do to get this bios updated and fix out as efficiently and quickly as possible.