Corsair Community

Problem with Ax1600i and HX1000 Platinum

Dear Moderator

I am using two Ax1600i and HX1000 Plantinum power supplies.

I am working on a computer project soaked in oil for cooling. The problem happened when I immersed these 2 power supplies in an insulating oil. After soaking in oil my computer boots up but after a few seconds it reboots on its own.

I felt a little panicked :(: and took the whole system out of the insulation oil then rebooted the system, my computer worked pretty well after that, I tested it for 48 hours.

I decided to pause and read some of the corsair's documents. I found a feature called OTP (over temperature protection) . It is mentioned in the document that the power supply will stop working automatically when the temperature is too high or the cooling fan is not running.

I thought that the insulating oil was causing stress to the power fan so auto restart occurred, but I am not sure with this thought. So I experimented with a smaller PC using a Corsair CX650 Plus Bronze power supply. Everything works stably in the insulating oil with no problems. :[pouts:

I want to know if I can insulate these 2 power supplies, will there be any big problem if i do that

If you have any experience of the issue I'm having or how to identify the problem I'm having, please let me know. All your experiences are precious to me, thank you in advance.

• Corsair Employees
Dear Moderator

I am using two Ax1600i and HX1000 Plantinum power supplies.

I am working on a computer project soaked in oil for cooling. The problem happened when I immersed these 2 power supplies in an insulating oil. After soaking in oil my computer boots up but after a few seconds it reboots on its own.

I felt a little panicked :(: and took the whole system out of the insulation oil then rebooted the system, my computer worked pretty well after that, I tested it for 48 hours.

I decided to pause and read some of the corsair's documents. I found a feature called OTP (over temperature protection) . It is mentioned in the document that the power supply will stop working automatically when the temperature is too high or the cooling fan is not running.

I thought that the insulating oil was causing stress to the power fan so auto restart occurred, but I am not sure with this thought. So I experimented with a smaller PC using a Corsair CX650 Plus Bronze power supply. Everything works stably in the insulating oil with no problems. :[pouts:

I want to know if I can insulate these 2 power supplies, will there be any big problem if i do that

If you have any experience of the issue I'm having or how to identify the problem I'm having, please let me know. All your experiences are precious to me, thank you in advance.

Our PSU products are not intended to be submerged in an kind of substance and used. We will be unable to assist you in troubleshooting any issue you may have when attempting to submerge your PSU in the oil. Further by doing so you have also voided the warranty as the PSU is not intended to be submerged in oil and it indeed can cause damage to the units.