Corsair Community

H115i RGB Platinum - push pull QL140?

Hi everyone,

I currently have a Thermaltake View 71 case, with 5 QL120 fans (3 front, 2 bottom) as intake and 1 QL140 (back) as exhaust.

On top I have an H115i Platinum, with the 2 stock ML140 fans as exhaust.

The in total 6 QL fans are connected through the Lighting Node Core (no more empty slots) and through a separate PWM controller (same story, no empty slots).

For the looks, I would love to change the ML140 fans with QL140 fans, but as these provide far less static pressure (and as not to 'throw away' the ML fans) I was thinking about going for a push/pull on the aio.

By reading through the topics here I found out the aio does not support the QL fans as they have too many LED's...and there is the issue of the ML fans revving up to 2000rpm and the QL's just to about 1200rpm.

I don't really need to have the top 'pull' fans (in this case, the ML's) lighting up, but it would be nice of course as the top of the case is glass and it would provide a nice glow.

So, two (actually 3) questions - first one : I'm guessing I would need to get a new dual pack (instead of 2 single fans) QL's with another Lighting Node Core for the lighting to work properly (as if there's not plenty of cabling and such yet going on in the back of the pc now...)?

Secondly : would I need to match speeds? Or can I keep the ML fans connected to the aio to get to 2000 rpm (I very rarely use the 'extreme' setting) and have the QL fans go through a PWM splitter with two of the existing QL fans? Or what is the ideal setup here?

3rd one: as I don't seem to find this information anywhere - I need 8 extra long screws to mount the top fans to the aio - does anyone have the metric size for the correct ones? I did find the imperial size (6/32) but I don't think my local hardware store will be able to find them with that.

Many thanks for any help you guys (and girls) can provide!

Edited by TZB

ML fans are not so good with water coolers, they are great for front and rear fans

I have a H115i and my fans push air into the radiator and up out of the top of the rig

The fans my H115i came with are still in use

first one : I'm guessing I would need to get a new dual pack (instead of 2 single fans) QL's with another Lighting Node Core for the lighting to work properly (as if there's not plenty of cabling and such yet going on in the back of the pc now...)?

You are going to need a lighting controller for any additional RGB fans since you are already at the 6 max for one controller. If you don't have any other Lighting Node Cores or RGB Lighting Hubs + Commander Pro/Lighting Node Pro lying around from other gear, then you will need the dual pack to get another lighting controller.

Secondly : would I need to match speeds? Or can I keep the ML fans connected to the aio to get to 2000 rpm (I very rarely use the 'extreme' setting) and have the QL fans go through a PWM splitter with two of the existing QL fans? Or what is the ideal setup here?

You don't have to have a perfect match, but running a stronger fan at 2000 and a weaker at 1200 is a problem. It creates resistance for the stronger and that usually comes with weird noises and performance that is no better than the stronger pair alone. Push-pull does not offer a ton of improvement (typically 1C at medium speeds), but I am more preferential to it when using 140mm fans that you are more likely to keep below 1000 rpm at times. Push-pull QL140 is likely to make up the difference in fan design with the ML when at like speeds, but it won't turn a 1200 rpm fan into 2000 rpm performance. However, that only matters if you are willing to run them at 2000 rpm. That's far too much for me and I preferred to keep my 140mm base radiator fans under 1200 for noise.

3rd one: as I don't seem to find this information anywhere - I need 8 extra long screws to mount the top fans to the aio - does anyone have the metric size for the correct ones? I did find the imperial size (6/32) but I don't think my local hardware store will be able to find them with that.

Corsair and nearly all other AIO radiators use 6-32 UNC screws or M3.5 (0.6) metric. Where it gets tricky is the standard lengths are 30 and 35mm. Depending on your case material and anything else up there, sometimes 30mm is just the tiniest bit too short and 35mm is too long. If you get stuck in between, you can try using rubber/silicon washers on the longer set.

Thanks for the reply, this helps!

You are going to need a lighting controller for any additional RGB fans since you are already at the 6 max for one controller. If you don't have any other Lighting Node Cores or RGB Lighting Hubs + Commander Pro/Lighting Node Pro lying around from other gear, then you will need the dual pack to get another lighting controller.

As I don't really need to have the top ML fans lit, I was more talking about the QL fans not being able to be controlled by the aio itself when it comes to lighting (too many LED's), so even without mounting the ML's (when not going for push/pull) I will need an extra Lighting Node Core, check.

You don't have to have a perfect match, but running a stronger fan at 2000 and a weaker at 1200 is a problem. It creates resistance for the stronger and that usually comes with weird noises and performance that is no better than the stronger pair alone. Push-pull does not offer a ton of improvement (typically 1C at medium speeds), but I am more preferential to it when using 140mm fans that you are more likely to keep below 1000 rpm at times. Push-pull QL140 is likely to make up the difference in fan design with the ML when at like speeds, but it won't turn a 1200 rpm fan into 2000 rpm performance. However, that only matters if you are willing to run them at 2000 rpm. That's far too much for me and I preferred to keep my 140mm base radiator fans under 1200 for noise.

I would just need to have similar performance as with the ML fans...but as the QL's have less static pressure - and not to throw away (or having to sell) the ML's - I was thinking about push/pull...but indeed, I think I have never really had the need to go the full 2000rpm, so that'll be ok then....maybe I will first just change the ML's by QL's and have a look at the temps....cpu is running very cool under load, so maybe just the QL's will do the job.

Corsair and nearly all other AIO radiators use 6-32 UNC screws or M3.5 (0.6) metric. Where it gets tricky is the standard lengths are 30 and 35mm. Depending on your case material and anything else up there, sometimes 30mm is just the tiniest bit too short and 35mm is too long. If you get stuck in between, you can try using rubber/silicon washers on the longer set.

Awesome, M3.5...I'll figure out the length.

I just wanted to add that I have an H150i Elite Capellix with 5 QL120 fans in a push-pull setup. My case doesn't have room for the 3rd fan so I use 3 on the front and 2 on the back. I have an FX-9590 which is a 220w CPU and I rarely see temps above 45c under moderate load. The QLs rarely get above 1100rpm and my water temps are around 33c-34c at idle and around 37c under load. Even though your cooler is 280mm I don't see temps being an issue. By the way if you are looking to buy some QL140s Newegg.com has them on sale right now for about $91 for the 2 pack.