Corsair Community

Capillex fans & RGB pausing on system startup all of a sudden.

Hi guys,

So all of a sudden the fans in my 360mm Capellix have started pausing when I boot my pc up.

They will run then they will stop spinning for about 15 seconds then start again when the fans stop most of the time the RGB goes.

I also noticed that my 3 LL120 exhaust fans are also doing this on start up at the same time as well.

They are all connected to the corsair commander node that came with the capellix.

They have only been in my new build for 3 weeks and did not do it for the first week so not sure why they have started doing it now.

Has anyone had the same thing happen?

The fact they are only nearly a month old and from 2 different suppliers I would hardly think there is a fault in both items.

once the pc is on if I restart it they do not do it they stay spinning, the rgb does flick off for a second but fans do spin at a slower rate as they should.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Currently have setup as instant lighting and custom fan curves.

I did have an Allied cooler in before I put this one in and never had this happen with that one.

It's doubtful this is a fan issue and more likely is related to the controller (Commander Core) since all 6 fans are doing it. The Com Core uses an auto-detect system for the fans and it likely reassesses on each boot, but that should not stop the fans. On many controllers it does the exact opposite and tries to find the upper limit.

What control variable are you using for your control graph? Presumably H150i Temp for the three radiator fans. What about the other 3 LL? Are they on the same control curve? Or something else?

You should keep the three radiator fans on the H150i Temp. CPU temp is not a very useful variable for fan control, aside from a small air cooler. Neither your case temp nor the coolant temp (H150i temp) have a direct relationship to this. Coolant temp will be affected by power output from the CPU (watts) rather than actual CPU temperature. This should not happen regardless of sensor choice, but one possible theory is a lack of data for the sensor while CUE is loading causes the fans to momentarily get lost.

1) Try putting the 3 radiator fans back on H150i temp and see if there is a difference in behavior between the two sets. You really want the radiator fans on this anyway, but it also creates a contrast between the two control variables for diagnosing this. This is probably the first thing tech support is going to ask about anyway.

2) Go to CUE settings and tick the box that says "enable debug logging". This will start to generate logs if there is a software error.

3) Contact Corsair Support through official channels. Corsair website or the Support Ticket Link in the header above. It's not clear to me if this is hardware or software, but a hardware problem is going to require a replacement controller from them and if this is software, it is the first instance I have heard of and they are going to need to those logs to start working on it.

so i have put the 3 radiator fans back on H150i temp and made no difference at all.

when it boots the 3 on the radiator are not spinning at all, then they start spinning then the other 3 stop then the radiator 3 stop again then they start again then then after that they are quite happy to keep going.

I got in touch with their support and ran through some troubleshooting that didn't work just waiting to hear back again. it is weird.

So I have disconnected the 3 LL fans from the commander core and attached them to a commander pro and they are now working fine.

I then went into device manager and uninstalled the device software for corsair and reinstalled/repaired icue software as the support recommended but no such luck the radiator fans still are delayed on startup about 15 seconds into boot before they start spinning, then run for about 30 seconds and then they still pause again after that for about 5 seconds before starting up properly.

And that is part of the issue on why this is hard to discern a software issue from a hardware one. The Commander Core is different than the Commander Pro in a few different physical ways. It's also new so we don't have a long history to pull from.

I don't think a PWM controller should be stopping the fans at any point in time and it does not need to do a fan test on boot. You are first person I have seen mention this issue and it is not expected behavior.

Hello,

Has there been any further info on this problem? I only ask as I have a similar problem with my setup and I literally made this account to post about it as there isn't much info online. Always happens on cold boot, they'll spin, then stop and restart spinning again by the time i boot into windows. got 6 SP120 RGB Pro's on a Commander Pro + lighting node core which spin fine and have zero problems but then the H150i Elite Capellix with the 3 fans are on the commander core and they start then stop then start again. temps are good, fans show as they're meant to in Icue, It's just this problem with the startup that's bugging me.

Edited by Dynov

I'm also having this same "problem". I just assumed it was normal operation when everything was first starting up but reading this thread makes me think it's not. After about 10-15 seconds the fans are fine but on initial startup they spin, then stop, and then start again and stay on.

hi guys,'

So apart from the weird startup fan issue i noticed the 3 fans only had half the LED's working all of a sudden, all fans exactly half the LED's were not working and on the same side....so spoke to corsair again and they sent me a new commander core to try.

I did note when i booted after replacement unit was in that the fans and the pump were flashing red. The only way I could stop this was to uninstall then reinstall icue and power off my pc, i held in the power button to discharge any power then rebooted, it was still flashing red but after setting profile for the pump this time on the unit they happily changed to the profile colour selected.

This new commander core unit fixed the LED issue but unfortunately the fans issues still exist.

Still a pause now on startup and then stopping again before they are happy to run. I timed it to be around 7 second delay then run for like 6 seconds seconds then off for 6 seconds then they startup and stay on.

I have to send in a few pics to support then I will get back on this thread to update you.

They are now saying that this may be normal but considering when I first put them in and for the first few days the unit was in this NEVER happened. (nothing had been changed since then software etc) they booted as per normal along with all my other fans and never stopped at all.

So I honestly can not believe that now they are doing this it is normal, especially since no settings have been changed at all in bios nor icue. not even any updates to windows etc.

I even borrowed a mates corsair H100i cooler to put in to see What happened and that worked just fine no issues at all on startup.

I did notice guys we all have Asus motherboards.

I did wonder if it is some issue with Asus motherboards somehow but their support have apparently no known issues for this.

I have tried looking up any known issues but did not find much alot of weird stuff with fans and coolers with Gigabyte though.

Have you guys tried updating your Bios if not the newest version?

What do you guys have your Q fan settings on in Bios?

I was told to try to disable my Q fan but there is no option on my motherboard to disable it.

• 1 month later...
And that is part of the issue on why this is hard to discern a software issue from a hardware one. The Commander Core is different than the Commander Pro in a few different physical ways. It's also new so we don't have a long history to pull from.

I don't think a PWM controller should be stopping the fans at any point in time and it does not need to do a fan test on boot. You are first person I have seen mention this issue and it is not expected behavior.

Well let me be the 2nd person to have similar issue. During boot, all fans will spin. Computer has a slight pause (as if it thinks there is no CPU fan), 3 fans that came with the case (LL120 I think) are on ports 4-6, they will stop spinning. However, Fans on ports 1-3 ( think those are QL120's) they remain spinning. I have another fan on its way to try on ports 4-6. Its just weird.

• Corsair Employees
Try setting the fans to a custom fan curve. or making sure they are on a curve,to begin with. The fans starting and stopping, then starting again at boot is normal as the fans notice they are on a curve and swap to it.