Corsair Community

Possible fan setup in future Crystal 650X build

Lebon141933

Hi. I have been purchasing parts for a new build over the last months now and have been able to score a 5900X this week (woohoo!).

I bought a H100i RGB Platinum for cooling the CPU. The case I was eye'ing was the 650X per thread title. That case, as per reading, has 3 LL120 fans on the front. I was planning on buying 3 extra LL120 fans w/controllers.

My initial idea was to have the H100i RGB fans in the case's included controller in slot 4 and 5. Then, from the pack of 3 LL120, replace the poopy black fan at the back and put that in slot 6. Then, I would use the other 2 fans as intake at the bottom and link them to slot #1 and 2 in a second CoPro connected to the included Link.

Buuuuut, if I read correctly, that apparently does not work that way in Commander Pros. You can only have 1 type of fans per CoPro and only 1 CoPro per Link? The heck?! Such an arbitrary limitation. (AFAIK H100i uses another model of fan)

So, I came up with this idea. The first 6 fans, including the two on the radiator would be the LL120s connected to the included CoPro and Link in the 650X. Then, the 2 fans that came with the H100i would be placed at the bottom as intake and connected with an additional Link and CoPro that came with the 3 pack.

What you guys think?

Cheers!

You have 8 fans, so you are going to need 2 controllers since the max per RGB channel is 6 fans. You have a built in controller for 2 fans on the Platinum. That takes care of the other controller. You pair the 6+2 anyway you like, but if all the fans are not the same LED count, then the preset effects are not going to work as programmed.

Presumably you have the "black" H100i Platinum that comes 2 ML-RGB fans. The white Platinum SE comes with 2 LL fans. Whatever you do with the ML fans, leave them on the AIO RGB controller. Fan speed control and RGB control are completely separate, so you can have 2 fans on the AIO PWM controller and a different 2 fans on its RGB controller.

Edited by c-attack
  • Confused 1

You have 8 fans, so you are going to need 2 controllers since the max per RGB channel is 6 fans. You have a build in controller for 2 fans on the Platinum. That takes care of the other controller. You pair the 6+2 anyway you like, but if all the fans are not the same LED count, then the preset effects are not going to work as programmed.

Presumably you have the "black" H100i Platinum that comes 2 ML-RGB fans. The white Platinum SE comes with 2 LL fans. Whatever you do with the ML fans, leave them on the AIO RGB controller. Fan speed control and RGB control are completely separate, so you can have 2 fans on the AIO PWM controller and a different 2 fans on its RGB controller.

Ah I see. Yes, it's the black H100i RGB Platinum. So, I don't have to connect these two to the CoPro. That's super dandy. And all the remaining extra fan are going to fit on it and all are going to be LL120s.

Wow. That's even better than I thought it would be! Less wire trouble.

I'll need to make a diagram at some point. hahaha.

Edited by Lebon141933
typos

The other thing to consider is whichever fans you place on the bottom will have their rear side exposed. It makes it less interesting from a lighting perspective, but be aware the ML fans do not have a light diffuser ring. They can "bleed light" from the hub at certain angles. Depending on how you sit relative to the case that can be annoying and if the 680x is desk height, the bottom fans will be highly visible while the top fans may not. You also could run the LL front top-front->bottom-> rear for your 6 and leave the ML up top on the radiator where they can serve as general case light. That is a task they are well suited for... as well as radiator duty.

Yes, I plan to have my desktop on my desk. The case is going to be on my right, roughly 45° in my field of vision.

And, yeah, the two LL fans at the bottom pulling air in gonna make things less interesting... So, how would you place the fans? Would you put the bottom 2 as intake or outtake? I wanted intake for better ventilation but the look is gonna suffer. I wanted the radiator to be directly mounted at the top and have the fans inside the case, pushing air through the rad.

To matter what, I'm not touching my plans for the rear and the 3 front LL fans.

• Corsair Employees
@c-attack? Anybody? Anybody willing my answer above (thread post #5)?

Me personally I would have the bottom fans as intake because of the ventilation aspect. We solved this issue with our QL RGB fans that have lighting on both sides.

Filter Dependent.... I tend to do all but the rear exhaust fan as intake when there are filters in those area's. lots of positive pressure. lots less dust.. imho of course. if RGB is your thing... then QL's bring the 'pretty' back...

Me personally I would have the bottom fans as intake because of the ventilation aspect. We solved this issue with our QL RGB fans that have lighting on both sides.

I agree but, the thing is, Johan, is that I want the same fans, minus those for the H100i, to be the same. The fans are already pretty expensive. So, I'm sticking with LL120. Won't buy QLs as I would have to spend an extra 400$CAD on fans and get pretty much get rid of those on the 650X which I pay for already.

Filter Dependent.... I tend to do all but the rear exhaust fan as intake when there are filters in those area's. lots of positive pressure. lots less dust.. imho of course. if RGB is your thing... then QL's bring the 'pretty' back...

Yeah, as you saw by the title, I was going with an RGB case... so, yeah. I won't repeat what I already said to Johan about the fans though.

That is why, besides the front and the back, what would be the best scenario for the top (rad fans) and bottom fans (LL120 fans)?

H100i:

outake, fans below rad

outake, fans over rad

intake, fans over rad (I'm sure this is bad though)

bottom LL120:

outake (lighting good side)

intake (lighting wrong side)

And, of course, like you guys already know: I can't mix and match on a single RGB controller. So, the idea of having the original LL120 at the front, and replace the extra LL120 with QL120 won't work unless I pass a whole other controler in my case that's already going to be a wiring mess. Unless you tell me that I can Mix and match LL and QL...

Edited by Lebon141933

mix and match... so. it will work.. but will throw some sequential RGB effects (pong and the like), which is only an issue when using those effects.

Which H100i was you planning on using? if its the Elite series then that comes with the Commander Core which has been reported to be getting new firmware in the near future (by a Corsair PM over on Reddit) that allows the mixing of fans... this would be the answer to your needs.

The Commander Core is also available as a stand alone unit

https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/Commander-CORE-RGB-%26-PWM-Fan-Controller/p/CW-8960071

tbh, your GPU will probably dictate your choice more than the bling of RGB.

if you get a 3080, 6800 or the like, they dump so much heat in the case that you will probably have to go for best airflow rather than best RGB display.

that may mean having the H100i as intake to avoid heating the water up with hot air coming from the GPU, as well as intake on the bottom fans to cool the GPU.

mix and match... so. it will work.. but will throw some sequential RGB effects (pong and the like), which is only an issue when using those effects.

Which H100i was you planning on using? if its the Elite series then that comes with the Commander Core which has been reported to be getting new firmware in the near future (by a Corsair PM over on Reddit) that allows the mixing of fans... this would be the answer to your needs.

The Commander Core is also available as a stand alone unit

https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/Commander-CORE-RGB-%26-PWM-Fan-Controller/p/CW-8960071

In my opening post, I mentionned the H100i RGB Platinum.

If I can mix and match the LL and QL with the original included CoPro in the case, then, yeah, sure, I can buy a set of the 3 QL instead of 3 LL.

Or maybe the original CoPro is easily detachable and replaceable by the CorePro included with the 3-pack QL fans? thinking.gif

tbh, your GPU will probably dictate your choice more than the bling of RGB.

if you get a 3080, 6800 or the like, they dump so much heat in the case that you will probably have to go for best airflow rather than best RGB display.

that may mean having the H100i as intake to avoid heating the water up with hot air coming from the GPU, as well as intake on the bottom fans to cool the GPU.

Yes, indeed. I was going to eventually end up with a 3080 (or maybe the recently rumored 3080 Ti by kopite7kimi). So, that's why I was scratching my head over the fan setup. However, if I go RGB, it's because I want it my new build to look special. I know that the 3080 pumps lot of hot air. But, at the same time, it's not like I'm going to use the GPU at max capacity 24/7 like miners do (fudge 'em btw).

As a btw: I don't have the case or fans yet! I made this thread in hopes of seeing if my plan of action was good or not.

Keep in mind mixing and matching fans usually limits you to static colors or non-moving effects. Some specific combinations work out OK, like 3-5 of anything and then 1 more different fan. However, 3 QL and 3 LL is a tougher match. Because the QL have such a high LED count (34), that forces you to use it as the base. The only way it works even close to normal is to set QL 1-2-3 and the LL 4-5-6. You tell the controller you have "QL x 5" which generates enough LEDs to cover the set. However, LL fans 4+5 will act like one fan (opposite sides of a QL) and fan 6 will act like the front half of "QL #5". In practical terms, that makes two of your front fans copies of each other. That may not be to everyone's taste and I would not recommend it for this build. The Commander Core currently addresses each fan individually so that helps with the duplication, but you are going to great lengths to avoid seeing the back side of a fan.

Keep in mind mixing and matching fans usually limits you to static colors or non-moving effects. Some specific combinations work out OK, like 3-5 of anything and then 1 more different fan. However, 3 QL and 3 LL is a tougher match. Because the QL have such a high LED count (34), that forces you to use it as the base. The only way it works even close to normal is to set QL 1-2-3 and the LL 4-5-6. You tell the controller you have "QL x 5" which generates enough LEDs to cover the set. However, LL fans 4+5 will act like one fan (opposite sides of a QL) and fan 6 will act like the front half of "QL #5". In practical terms, that makes two of your front fans copies of each other. That may not be to everyone's taste and I would not recommend it for this build. The Commander Core currently addresses each fan individually so that helps with the duplication, but you are going to great lengths to avoid seeing the back side of a fan.

Maaaaaaan... I still want everything to look good while having good airflow with that case. Is there really no way to have the best of both worlds without spending 350$CAD on extra fans?