Corsair Community

Why Commander Pro is not worth the money

urs

So, I've bought Commander Pro to centralize the management of my Corsair themed build in iCue.

My setup is: H100i Plat, Dominator RGB ram, 4x QL 120 fans, Lightning Node Core. Before buying Commander Pro I simply plugged my 4xQL fans into motherboard PWM headers.

After installing Commander Pro:

1. Built-in fan speed profiles are useless, even Quiet blows fans at full speed - relevant post
  2. Scale on graphs of fan speed is not adjusted to possible speeds of my fans - link to post
  3. My AiO light settings disappeared from all iCue profiles - link to post
  4. There is no possibility to "globally" adjust fan speeds regardless of RGB profile. Imagine you have 20-30 light profiles and you want to slightly adjust your fan speeds based on recent development/layout change/whatever. No can do - you need to manually adjust all the profiles :(

Based on the above, I think Commander Pro is simply not worth the asking price. Software is super unpolished and requires much more love from Corsair.

With EUR/USD 50 asking price, this device is not bringing any meaningful benefit. EUR/USD 10 internal USB hub and controlling fans via mobo, would probably work better.

I hope I'm wrong about at least some of those above issues and the situation is actually better.

Also, feel free to add more of Commander Pro software quirks to this thread. Maybe it will convince Corsair to implement some of those correctly/fix bugs.

Well,

-Built in fan profiles are useless. that's an iCUE issue and the poor Copro is only doing the dumb job that broken software tells it to do.

-Scale on graphs is fixed.. i guess it's been adjusted to water pump speed pulse which max at 4800 rpm, but that's very annoying for fans that will top at 2400 rpm for corsair. Again, it's an iCUE issue that has never been adressed.

-lack of general Fan speed setting can be annoying, but its presence will also make people complain their RGB profile doesn't change fan speeds because they will have missed that ^^' That said, the problem may more be on the line of... do you need that many RGB settings. You are most likely the exception to the norm. It's very manageable with a few RGB profiles once your fan curves are set. Just a few clicks to apply the curve to each profile. Also if your RGB profiles all use the same fine tuned fan curve, just changing that fan curve will have all the RGB profiles respond accordingly. (that's actually the one feature from iCUE that i miss the most)

All that is iCUE issues unfortunately. The Copro is an okay device as long as you never plug 3 pin DC fans to it on splitters. But iCUE needs more than bug fixes at this stage... a complete rewrite, a new GUI that doesn't require new users to go to google to figure developper's cryptic stuff out.

SO, as a consequence yea.. i personally agree that the Copro is very poor value, solely because of iCUE.

Edited by LeDoyen

1) Presets are always going to be useless for fans, unless every user has the same fans, in the same case, with the same performance goals, the same noise tolerances, and the same ambient baseline temperature. It's a complex fan controller. Make use of it and make your own curves. Very first thing most people should do and there is no reason to be using CPU temperature as a control variable for anything except a little CPU air cooler.

2) I am not sure how useful it would be if every graph needed to rescale for what it perceives is the maximum of the fan. This would also require the controller do a max 100% fan test on every software start. I am OK with using the little boxes to type in data. It was a problem when it did not go to 5000 rpm and users with D5 water pumps couldn't make use of speeds above the previous 4000 rpm max. I definitely don't want it to pulse my water pump every time I start the software.

3) The Commander Pro USB ports are just passthroughs. The AIO or anything else you plug in there is using the main cable back to the MB, but that's it. It does not give control of the device over to the Commander and you could plug in any USB internal device there. The Platinum should not have lost its profiles. Check to see if the AIO is now listed as Platinum SE (1). This is a glitch and sometimes the software thinks it is a a different unique device.

4) You can globally adjust fan profiles in two different ways. The first is when you are using a common profile. If you have a fan profile named Front Intake and you tweak a few control points, that change is automatic to all other profiles using the Front Intake fan profile. Change it in any profile and the changes are carried to all. The second is if you decide you want fan port #2 (or whichever) to run a different fan profile. So you create Front Intake rev. B. Then go to port #2, click the drop down, and select "copy to all". Front Intake rev. B is now the assigned fan profile for port #2 in all profiles in the deck. You must copy all for each fan port that needs to be reassigned (copy to all only does one port at a time).

Edited by c-attack

Well,

All that is iCUE issues unfortunately. The Copro is an okay device as long as you never plug 3 pin DC fans to it on splitters. But iCUE needs more than bug fixes at this stage... a complete rewrite, a new GUI that doesn't require new users to go to google to figure developper's cryptic stuff out.

SO, as a consequence yea.. i personally agree that the Copro is very poor value, solely because of iCUE.

I'm not disagreeing at all. You're right that this is poor software and not hardware. Hopefully, rant posts like this will make Corsair to consider investing more in software.

1) Presets are always going to be useless for fans, unless every user has the same fans, in the same case, with the same performance goals, the same noise tolerances, and the same ambient baseline temperature. It's a complex fan controller. Make use of it and make your own curves. Very first thing most people should do and there is no reason to be using CPU temperature as a control variable for anything except a little CPU air cooler.

Your point would make sense... if not couple facts:

• the same fans plugged into motherboard PWM fan controllers need me to only run software from Gigabyte (check it out, click one button (selecting profile I want) and... they work. Sure I can tweak them by myself, but cmon - this software support is garbage.
  • I know Commander Pro cannot detect the type of my fans based on PWM, but ffs it could allow me to select Corsair fan type and based on that adjust speeds.
  • temp, etc is also not valid point - ICue has access all PC diagnostic including CPU, GPU, RAM and all mobo headers. It's super to easy to code some default profiles based on that. In fact Corsair managed to do so with my AiO (H100i Platinum SE) software!

2) I am not sure how useful it would be if every graph needed to rescale for what it perceives is the maximum of the fan. This would also require the controller do a max 100% fan test on every software start.

Yeah - allow me to select my Corsair fan type and based on that adjust max for a graph or just allow me to change scale of the graph.

What we'e seeing is just super lousy coding.

3) Check to see if the AIO is now listed as Platinum SE (1). This is a glitch and sometimes the software thinks it is a a different unique device.

Thanks for explanation and trying to help. I do appreciate it. It was listed with (1) but it's not the point. AiO is visible in iCUE but all Lightning Effect for it in all profiles are unfortunately empty :( I guess it caused by the fact that ICue treats it as different device (the infamous (1) added to the name).

Looks also like super lousy coding :(

4) You can globally adjust fan profiles in two different ways. The first is when you are using a common profile. If you have a fan profile named Front Intake and you tweak a few control points, that change is automatic to all other profiles using the Front Intake fan profile. Change it in any profile and the changes are carried to all. The second is if you decide you want fan port #2 (or whichever) to run a different fan profile. So you create Front Intake rev. B. Then go to port #2, click the drop down, and select "copy to all". Front Intake rev. B is now the assigned fan profile for port #2 in all profiles in the deck. You must copy all for each fan port that needs to be reassigned (copy to all only does one port at a time).

Just WOW!

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed. It even allows me to make some sense with folders and copy specific settings to all profiles in folders.

I would never guess that there is functionality hidden in hamburger menu of each fan. Damn, someone really tried to hide it well :)

I

Thanks for explanation and trying to help. I do appreciate it. It was listed with (1) but it's not the point. AiO is visible in iCUE but all Lightning Effect for it in all profiles are unfortunately empty :( I guess it caused by the fact that ICue treats it as different device (the infamous (1) added to the name).

Looks also like super lousy coding :(

Unfortunately this is one of the more common problems. It can occur with any of the devices and I am unsure on the trigger. As such, I don't have a solution to offer. If you've already redone all the programming, just go with it. In the top right corner of the CUE app, click on the three lines and this will change the picture of the devices to names. Now you can edit that name and change it to "H100i Platinum " (with a deliberate space on the end). The (1)(1) stuff drives me nuts and I can't stand to see it. If you have not done the all the programming, you can try plugging/replugging in hopes of getting it back, but it seems you have an equal chance to wind up with a second (1).

As for presets in general, we could talk it about for ages and that is the point. There is no one setting/speed/profile etc. that will make everyone happy. It can't be done. 1000 rpm is "virtually silent" for one person and a twin propeller engine for someone else. While the initial setting has little value, what really matters is that you can set it to a huge number of control variables with a decent degree of control. Also, the immediate effect is probably going to nudge most users to start experimenting, rather than accept "OK, I guess" from a preset. For most users, the competition is a 3 point BIOS graph with one or two control variables. The Commander is not perfect by any means, but the one or two better systems that come to mind are in a very different price class and it is extremely useful for water cooled builds at a relatively inexpensive price point compared to what you spend on the rest of the gear.

Edited by c-attack