Corsair Community

VS512MB333 Read Errors

I bought a gigabyte value select kit (2x512) DDR333 from newegg to replace my 256 XMS ddr333 stick.

The first thing I ran was DIRECTX, which did all fine. Until I closed it, and then I got myself a referenced memory read error.

Not sure what was up, I tried to open Trillian to talk to some of my friends. Trillian loaded, but immediatly after it was up I was looking into a black screen.

Both sticks give me the same result, either together or alone.

I'm running Windows XP SP2

Soyo KT 400 Dragon Ultra Platinum Edition

AMD 2500+ at 333mhz FSB

Geforce 4 MX440

And, of course, Value Select 1 gigabyte kit.

Not sure what the problem is, or what to do.

I ran Memtest+ 1.51 for one pass on each stick with no results. How many passes should I run?

When I set my BIOS to automatically set the ram timings, it crashed immediatly after initial bios memory test, and reset to what it was at prior to my setting it to auto.

What am I doing wrong here?

• Corsair Employees
Please install the modules in slots 1-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and see if that will solve the problem and 2-3 passes should be enough to show a failing module.

With voltage set at 2.7, the problem still occurs.

I, however, just got done with at least an hour of Counter-Strike Source with no issues.

It's...odd.

I've now also completed 3 passes with no errors.

What else may I do to get this running correctly?

It's already set as that...

So, what else to do?

Could incorrect timings be causing it?

(EDIT)

Sorry to have not checked this first things first, however, there was an msn.dll update for Trillian that, without, resulted in the constant crashing of Trillian. Therefore, the only noticable issue I have currently is that DirectX (upon closure) results in a memory read failure.

Well I'm not going to spend hours and hours uninstalling things and reinstalling them just to get some *beep* ram working, so I'll just let it complain all it wants. Next time Windows pisses me off and I format and reinstall, we'll see if it's any better.

So, maybe next time I format, if it still doesn't work right, I'll just repost.

• Corsair Employees
I would highly suggest and check if there are any BIOS update for your specific MB, and try to set the recommended settings after flashing it; also make sure that you have the latest 4in1 drivers installed, this will help your system.

I'm rather nervous about flashing. I don't really want to frag any of my things. Plus, Soyo's bios updates are rather confusing - I can never really tell from their "info" whether it's something wortwhile, or not.

• Corsair Employees
Well I do understand your frustration, but let me tell you this; from past experience MB makers will often times improve the bios and reliability of system and not always explain all of the changes. So especially if you are having a problem I would always get the latest bios. In fact when ever I build a new system I will always get the latest bios from the respective maker’s web site and update it even if it’s the same version. Big hint there is if the date is different.

Archived