Corsair Community

I have 15 fans total. My setup is a Commander Pro, (2) Lighting Nodes and a Commander Core for my H150i Elite. My questions is how do I connect my QL series fan RGBs to these devices and maintain and maintain a correct order for fan animations? I am still in the middle of the build and waiting on the last 4 fans to arrive but I am curious how they will maintain an order since both Lighting Nodes will be connected via USB to the Commander Pro and the Commander Pro connected USB to the first USB 2.0 header on my motherboard and the Commander Core connected to the second. I would assume that iCUE would let me identify fans but having not been able to use it yet I am not sure that is the case or if they have to be plugged into the Lighting Nodes in a certain order and if so with me using two which will come first? Also throw in the Commander Core and that adds an additional layer of confusion. Any of you guys with experience in this area able to help a brother out?

Fan lighting order and sequence is per device and follows the 1-6 port numbering. You must start and 1 and continue in order 2-3-4-6 without skipping ports. The LEDs work in series, so an empty RGB port ends the circuit. Of note, the Commander Core is the only device that does not work that way and only it has individual RGB ports.

There is no way to make any random effect start on fan 1 and go to fan 15. It's theoretically possible to program each controller to pause/wait and give the appearance of a wave traveling from fan 1-15, but this is extremely difficult and not something most people will be able to do. There are Lighting Link effects that are globally applied to all devices. Two of those are sequential, color wave and visor. Visor is the only effect that has a clear and obvious start/end point and pathway through the system. Changing the USB connection point does not change the order and it is a pre-programmed list. Unfortunately, when using two of the same device the order of which comes first can change from boot to boot. However, there really is only one effect in which this would have any consequence (visor).

You can rename devices in CUE. You will start off with Lighting Node Core and Lighting Node Core (1). In the top right corner of CUE, click on the change tab to make the top pictures turn into word labels. You can now edit them and give the (1) a better name.

So in short, at the end of the day it doesn't matter what port the fans are plugged into? As long as there are no ports are skipped on the lighting core then there is no need to worry about what order they are plugged in to the device ( example: plugging fan 1 to RGB port 1, Fan 2 into RGB port 2)?

It does matter what order they are in relation to the "light flow" from fan 1-6 on each controller. So if you connect a front intake fan to RGB port 1, the rear exhaust to port 2, and then another front fan to port 3, it will jump from front to back to front for the numerous sequential effects available on the QL/LL series fans. That part is fairly obvious, but with 15 fans you also need to think about groups. Which fans do you want to act as lighting unit? This tends to be very case specific. You may have highly visible fans you want to be the main display with all the dynamic effects and others that act more like diffused case lighting. It may make more sense to group top+rear and front+bottom. That is the part you likely want to plan out ahead of time since those fans will need to be on the same lighting channel/controller.