Corsair Community

Help, Corsair 4000D Airflow pin connections?

shawnlau

I've just completed a build using the Corsair 4000D air flow case and a MSI Z490-A pro mother board. I'm having trouble with the front panel pin connections. The manual shows 7 leads coming from the front panel, USB 3.0, USB 3.1C, HD Audio, Power Switch, Reset Switch, Power(+,-) and HDD(+,-). Only problem is there are only 6 leads coming out of the front panel. I have USB 3.0, USB 3.1C, HD Audio, PowerSw, ResetSw, and HDD(+,-). There are no leads labeled Power(+,-).

The HDD(+,-) leads are obviously mislabeled. When I hook theses up to the HDD pins on the mother board, the Power Light blinks during hard drive activity, and stays out when there is no activity. Hooking up the HDD(+,-) to the Power pins, and the power light stays on when the computer is on like expected. Where are the HDD leads? Which lead lights up that read light on the case?

As is I can hook up the HDD leads to the Power pins and see when the power is on or the computer is asleep or hook them up to the HDD pins and see hard drive activity but not see when the computer powered down or in sleep mode.

Help?

Here's a video on Youtube I found when researching the problem. I searched Corsair 4000D airflow installation on Youtube. [ame]

[/ame]

If you watch the video you'll see there are only 6 leads coming out of the front panel in this video as well - not the seven Corsair shows in their manual. So how did he hook them up? Don't know, he completely skipped over it as do all the video reviewing this case. ITS BROKEN. Well it works, but its defective. You can pick a power/sleep light or a HDD activity light, but you are not getting both.

TBH, power LEDs are rendered redundant by the use of glass panel cases since the motherboard itself has power LEDs.

If yours doesn't have and you really want the indication, you could use one of these:

https://www.amazon.fr/InLine-59910-tester-pour-batterie/dp/B000PELTVA/

It's very discreet inside the case.

It's more and more common to see cases with only a power LED OR a HDD LED

• Corsair Employees

Hey there,

None of the 4000 series, or 5000 series comes with a HDD LED indicator, so this is a mistake in the user manual. I have informed the case team about this so it can be fixed.

Can you please take a picture of the connectors from your case? I have the same case here, and have 3 sets of connectors for the FP1 connector

Power sw

Reset sw

Power LED

So if yours says HDD LED then it is indeed mislabeled which we will look into. You can reach out to our support team, but I think the easiest is for you to connect them to the power LED which they where intended for.

I'll take a picture, but I can't believe I'm the only one who has ever reported this and got the single case with the mislabeled lead, and the mistaken manual that shows an HDD lead. Also, whats the purpose of the redundant ResetSw lead? What lights up the little red light on the case ( the light with the circular arrow around it) ? Any modern machine have a reset switch? What is that red light for? What connects to it? Edited by shawnlau

TBH, power LEDs are rendered redundant by the use of glass panel cases since the motherboard itself has power LEDs.

If yours doesn't have and you really want the indication, you could use one of these:

https://www.amazon.fr/InLine-59910-tester-pour-batterie/dp/B000PELTVA/

It's very discreet inside the case.

It's more and more common to see cases with only a power LED OR a HDD LED

The power lead also shows sleep state, and the only lights that stay lit on my motherboard indicate an error somewhere ( cpu, ram, video etc.)

Edited by shawnlau

I know the leads labeled HDD are mislabeled. When Hooked up to the HDD pins The power light blinks to show hard drive activity. We know they are mislabeled. Now you have said none of the 4000 or 5000 cases come with HDD indicators and the manual that shows that lead ( https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/WW_4000D_4000D_Airflow_QSG_WEB_AA.pdf) is wrong. Fine, but now tell me, which wire hooks to the red light on the right side of the case next to the headphone/mike jack? What makes the red light come alive? Surely its not decoration. What does it hook to and what does it do? 035Mkky9AI8PRp6UH2RFgoj-4..1606315820.jpg

I'm thinking there has to be SOME reason for that red light to the right of the headphone jack. It surely cant just be taking up the space that could go to a USB plug. It must do SOMETHING. What? What does it do? In what operating system does it do anything? What makes it come on? I looked through the manual. I don't even know what the light is. And I'm just stonewalled here. Can anyone with this case tell me what the light to the right of the headphone jack does and what it hooks up to? That would so satisfy my confusion. Edited by shawnlau

• 1 year later...

if you look at your motherboard manual, there will be a whole section detailing all the internal connectors : USB, power, SATA, fans, front panel audio.. and... Front panel connectors.

Here you'll find what pins are for your reset switch, along with power switch, power led, etc.

It's actually written on the motherboard itself in very small print, but better look at the manual to know where it is 🙂