Corsair Community

CPU Fan and Pump RPM fluctuation?

Weeny

Hi,

I've had a Corsair h80i for about two years now and using Link i've had no issues with it. Recently I've bought a new Scimitar mouse which neccesitated the move over to Icue, this also means I have to control the h80i on there too.

I've set up a temperature dashboard and have been messing around setting up my curves and testing the default options and I've noticed that both the CPU fan and pump rpm fluctuate even when the system is at idle. I've attached a screenshot to show that

As far as I can tell I have set everything up correctly,

- Qfan control is disabled on my CPU header in the bios

- the curve temperature is adjusting according to the cooler NOT the cpu temp

- Completely removed Link and any other monitoring software from the system in case of conflicts

I have done some googling already and attempted a fresh install of Icue but that has not helped the issue

EDIT: I have also just noticed that my GPU fan is also spiking according to the dashboard, I have a 1080ti that is controlled via MSI Afterburner which does not show any spiking on its graphs.

Could this be the result of some sort of hang up within Icue monitoring service?

dash.PNG.ebf11e6f2998f4225b7e35f85b7e2114.PNG

Edited by Weeny
More info

Make sure there are actual RPM fluctuations before giving this too much thought. The graphs in CUE 3 scale with range automatically. So if my fan was fluctuating between 999-1001, it would make 1001 the top of the graph and 999 the bottom. Each 1 rpm fluctuation would look like a mountain. Essentially a really steady variable will show large visual differences trying to represent partial degrees or RPMs, even in fact the actual change is minuscule.

Ah ok, it might just be the scaling thats making it look like big jumps.

Looking at the actual values it seems to be fluctuating between ~50 ~100 rpm but my actual CPU cooling doesn't seem to be negatively affected

What software would you recommend to check my CPU fan rpm?

You should be able to see it in the CUE app by adding the motherboard to the dashboard. However, on your model that is going to show you 1/2 the pump speed and CUE is really a better monitoring tool for that. Remember that these number are predictions based on a prior interval of time. "Count revolutions for 2 seconds, multiply by 30". The problem is if there are 30-something revolutions in those two seconds then what we perceive as stable RPM is down to whether it was 32.14 (round down) or 32.15 (round up). A lot of the variances are going to be when the measures value is rounded prior to multiplying to create the "per minute" value. You see this very clearly in some of the Pro cooler models where pump speed always jumps in exact 30 rpm increments. Even if using three decimal places for assessment, it's a high speed device so tiny variances will seem noticeable.

All that said, if you start to see fluctuations of 100 rpm, that is enough to warrant questions, particularly if they seem more like drops (2000, 2000, 1900, 2000, 2000) vs scattered data points.