Corsair Community

Virtuoso Mic on 3.5mm

Hi,

When using the mic via 3.5mm, it seems that the headset needs to be turned on (by turning on wireless mode) for it to work. So, with that in mind, I'm gathering that it seems the signal is amplified to "mic" levels.

When using it on an old macbook pro, I've found that the microphone is not loud even when sensitivity is maxed out and that's because the "in" input is actually a "line in" input.

Since the Virtuoso needs to turned on to amplify the mic signal for 3.5mm, is it possible to have some type of adjustment setting for "line in" level amplification instead?

Edit: Fixed typos

Hi,

When using the mic via 3.5mm, it seems that the headset needs to be turned on (by turning on wireless mode) for it to work. So, with that in mind, I'm gathering that it seems the signal is amplified to "mic" levels.

When using it on an old macbook pro, I've found that the microphone is not loud even when sensitivity is maxed out and that's because the "in" input is actually a "line in" input.

Since the Virtuoso needs to turned on to amplify the mic signal for 3.5mm, is it possible to have some type of adjustment setting for "line in" level amplification instead?

Edit: Fixed typos

the mic does in fact work on 3.5MM when USB Mode is enabled

you can easily test this on mobile devices and this is how i usually use it on my phone.

this seems more to be an issue with your macbook treating it as a line in input and not the headset itself

the mic does in fact work on 3.5MM when USB Mode is enabled

you can easily test this on mobile devices and this is how i usually use it on my phone.

this seems more to be an issue with your macbook treating it as a line in input and not the headset itself

Agreed. The mic will work if the Virtuoso is powered up in some way, either by enabling Wireless, or plugged via USB.

Now, what I'm trying to do is have either wireless and/or USB connected to a PC while I play (I'd rather go wireless when there is battery capacity to have less wires) and also have a 3.5mm connection to the old a1286 2.7Ghz macbook pro I use to watch videos at the same time and receive calls via handoff if needed (hence the mic).

But like I said, the macbook has a "Line In" input port -not a "mic" input port- so the mic needs some preamplification to be louder.

So that's what my request was for. It was to have an option to have the 3.5mm mic pre-amplified in some way since the Virtuoso needs to be powered up anyway so that the mic can work via 3.5mm.

Edited by TheMaskedShadow

Agreed. The mic will work if the Virtuoso is powered up in some way, either by enabling Wireless, or plugged via USB.

So that's what my request was for. It was to have an option to have the 3.5mm mic pre-amplified in some way since the Virtuoso needs to be powered up anyway so that the mic can work via 3.5mm.

no what i mean is the virtuoso works with 3.5mm unpowered

i can have it in usb mode plugged into my devices and the mic works perfectly fine. the mic isnt getting any form of power except the LED undicators

it only doesnt work without power specifically because your using an old macbook pro that doesnt have a mic input and only has a line in

looking up models from around that year a ton of people had the same issue for that reason alone and the solution for everyone at the time

was to use a usb headset or get an external preamp

wouldnt it be easier to get a 3.5mm to mic/output splitter for your main pc and use it wired then use the macbook wirelessly since you are using it for media anyhow

oruse the macbook as the usb or get a cheap usb dac for the macbook to use the mic input properly.

Thanks for the advice, I will probably just do that and connect USB/Wireless to the Mac and 3.5mm to the PC (I do have a splitter and it works).

Also, good info on 3.5mm mic working with Virtuoso unpowered. It didn't work for me at the time but now that I think of it, the splitter that I had at the time I tested was later to be found faulty on the Mic side and I don't think I've re-tested it since it was replaced.

Cheers!