Corsair Community

[RANT] iCUE consistently breaks something EVERY update.

Griff_

Why do I feel so anxious every time I hit the "Update" button?

Hi all, I'm sorry, but I need to let this out somewhere for fear of destroying hardware.

First, let me begin by saying that this is not caused by a one off incident, but has been progressively eating at me update after update, to the point that I put off updating iCUE as long as I possibly can, until a bug that I am already experiencing absolutely must now be fixed. I do this, knowing full well that I am likely only swapping one bug for another different bug.

Most recently, I have been experiencing what may only be described as an audio driver crash, which I believe is caused by alt tabbing between applications, which kills both the audio output and microphone input for discord. This problem is incredibly inconsistent, and difficult to track down, as it appears to happen "at random". Finally, after annoying my friends, and being annoyed at these events which cause me to lose communications, I decided to bite the bullet and update my iCUE.

So, first thing's first, as my previous experience has taught me, we backup %APPDATA%/Corsair in the likely event that something will be broken beyond reasonable usability, which will undoubtedly force me to downgrade my iCUE version to something a little less "beta". If anyone is unaware why you need to backup this folder, its because, corsair in their infinite wisdom have decided that even the most minor change between versions is worthy of invalidating your ENTIRE personal configurations, macros and profiles, instead of simply failing to parse specific configs/settings which do not make sense.

Now that we have our backup, we can go ahead and fire off the update and cross our fingers and toes that nothing breaks this time... But, we all know that's not the case as I would not be posting here otherwise. Upon completion of the update, I reboot as requested, and so far everything seems to work as normal. I eventually hop into discord and attempt to PTT to speak with my friends and... No voice activity is indicated from me. Going to discord's settings I double check my keybind, and the bind is unchanged. I attempt to set the bind again just in case, and find that I am now unable to input any extra mouse inputs, such as mouse4/5 (thumb backward/forward). So I debug this issue further and double check the keybinds in windows explorer and chrome, and sure enough, the forward/backward functionality is entirely missing - uhh oh!

So, as per usual, I figure there's always the safe bet of regressing to the previous version I was stable with, but decide to take a quick google just to make sure there isn't something obvious I've missed, and eventually land upon: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025168512-Mouse-Button-Is-Not-Working

Hold on, what do we have here? Step 2: Perform a clean reinstallation of Corsair Utility Engine. Oh joy! Now I get to wipe all of my profile settings and customisation and start from scratch EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A WORKING BACKUP!

So, as per the instructions, I remove iCUE, purge the appdata's, purge and leftover metadata in programfiles, reboot, re-install, reboot, and tada! My thumb buttons work again! At this point, I'm just glad that my buttons are working, I've not even begun to contemplate and test my alt tabbing voice comm issues yet.

So, at this point I've just about had it with iCUE, yet find myself with 3 devices from Corsair, and while the physical products I find to be fit for use, I am now seriously considering revoking all my recommendations of corsair products due to piss poor software, drivers, and UX.

So, Corsair, here you have it, you have one shot, one last opportunity before you lose a customer (and their recommendations of your hardware) who loves your physical products, who is absolutely distraught with the horrendous UX that you inflict upon all of your userbase. What exactly do you have to say for this pitiful excuse for device management software?

You're certainly not alone in feeling fed up with iCUE. The Corsair hardware I have no problems at all with (I have several pieces of it) but I've long since abandoned any hope for a stable, bug free version of iCUE that actually allows me to properly use said hardware.

Unfortunately posting here on Corsair's own forums is little more than a way to let off some steam. You just have to browse through the threads to see the lack of interaction from Corsair. The reply from Corsair Notepad here in this thread is evidence of the futility of expectation for a meaningful, honest discourse.

You're certainly not alone in feeling fed up with iCUE. The Corsair hardware I have no problems at all with (I have several pieces of it) but I've long since abandoned any hope for a stable, bug free version of iCUE that actually allows me to properly use said hardware.

Unfortunately posting here on Corsair's own forums is little more than a way to let off some steam. You just have to browse through the threads to see the lack of interaction from Corsair. The reply from Corsair Notepad here in this thread is evidence of the futility of expectation for a meaningful, honest discourse.

What gets me is the complete ignorance of the issue which I have presented. There isn't even an acknowledgement that a problem exists, and thus it appears there is no hope to ever see any improvement. Well, thanks very much Corsair Notepad. You have cemented my commitment to recommend against Corsair products in favour of literally anything else.

In order to avoid this, you could have:

• Acknowledged my frustrations and attempted to understand my grievances
  • Pointed to iCUE2 in an attempt to assert that my grievances may end up being resolved
  • Provided relevant advice and alternatives to a "clean-install" every time something goes wrong during every update

However, you chose to avoid this topic entirely.

Brand loyalty? I think not for you Corsair. You may never expect another positive recommendation from myself due to the UX of your software. I'm done, and will begin to transition away from your product lines in favour of more stable alternatives.

Regards, an unsatisfied customer.

• Corsair Employees
What gets me is the complete ignorance of the issue which I have presented. There isn't even an acknowledgement that a problem exists, and thus it appears there is no hope to ever see any improvement. Well, thanks very much Corsair Notepad. You have cemented my commitment to recommend against Corsair products in favour of literally anything else.

In order to avoid this, you could have:

• Acknowledged my frustrations and attempted to understand my grievances
  • Pointed to iCUE2 in an attempt to assert that my grievances may end up being resolved
  • Provided relevant advice and alternatives to a "clean-install" every time something goes wrong during every update

However, you chose to avoid this topic entirely.

Brand loyalty? I think not for you Corsair. You may never expect another positive recommendation from myself due to the UX of your software. I'm done, and will begin to transition away from your product lines in favour of more stable alternatives.

Regards, an unsatisfied customer.

The issue with Discord is not an iCUE problem and has been confirmed with the Discord developers. You will have to wait for them to update their client to resolve the issue you are experiencing. The Windows 7 compatibility mode is directly from their Devs as a work around.