Corsair Community

Daisy chaining Hydro X devices

MADRGB

Maybe an idiotic question. Im preparing my first water loop build using Hydro X devices only. In the manuals for each its stated that the Hydro X devices rgb lighting can be daisy chained. But I assume doing so also means I cannot control each components lighting separately or?

You will still have individual control over each LED and it will show each reservoir/block as a separate UI element. So if I set up a color wave for my XC7 + XD5 combination, each color wave will hop from one piece to the other. I could also make two color waves, one for each device, and they would do their own. No downside to the daisy chaining. Saves RGB channels as is pretty much the same as connecting RGB strips in series.

You can get a preview right now by going to any Commander Pro or LNP lighting set up. Change it to Hydro X and then your proposed arrangement. You have to choose the pump/res (XD3/XD5) first to create the additional add on. Only the pump/res devices have the daisy chain connector. This would not work for the cpu and gpu blocks alone.

You will still have individual control over each LED and it will show each reservoir/block as a separate UI element. So if I set up a color wave for my XC7 + XD5 combination, each color wave will hop from one piece to the other. I could also make two color waves, one for each device, and they would do their own. No downside to the daisy chaining. Saves RGB channels as is pretty much the same as connecting RGB strips in series.

You can get a preview right now by going to any Commander Pro or LNP lighting set up. Change it to Hydro X and then your proposed arrangement. You have to choose the pump/res (XD3/XD5) first to create the additional add on. Only the pump/res devices have the daisy chain connector. This would not work for the cpu and gpu blocks alone.

Thx! Does the order I daisychain them in have any meaning? Pump/res>-GPU->CPU->Cpro was my plan.

On the physical end, you won't really have any control over that part. The Pump/Res combo (XD3 or XD5) is the required base unit with the daisy chain connector. It is always 'position 1'. You can decide whether a CPU or GPU block comes next if you have all three.

Of course software effects can be applied selectively and of the presets, only sequential, color wave, and visor really have a sequential 1-2-3 kind of order. Since visor goes end to end and color wave is pretty subtle, the "sequential" is the only one where the order might really matters. Also, some of the presets can reverse their direction. All three will share the RGB channel, so you be able to manipulate global order for something like Lighting Link Visor by putting fans on CH 1 (first) or the Pump/GPU/CPU string instead.