Jump to content
Corsair Community

Corsair Commander CORE and Fan compatability / mixing?


Recommended Posts

Hi all

First post here, was referred from Reddit :)

 

I need some assistance, I've spent hours researching and I'm understanding most of it, but not all.

 

 

 

So I've just bought a Corsair 280X , h100i Capellix Elite and CX650F RGB

 

 

 

I'm teaming this with i5 10600k and RTX3060ti already running on my system. I'm just moving to new case, PSU etc.

 

 

 

Currently I have 3x SP120 RGB PRO Fan

 

The 280X comes with 2x LL120 Fans

 

the H100i Capellix comes with ML120 Fans

 

and I have the 3 SP120 fans I mentioned.

 

Plus the PSU, but I'm happy to not have this controlled by iCue for the moment, as on the 280X case I have it will be out of sight anyway.

 

What I propose is

 

- Rad mounted on front of case as intake with 2 Fans

 

- 2 intake fans on bottom

 

- 2 exhaust fans on top

 

So 6 Fans in total - which should be fine for the Commander CORE.

 

 

 

 

 

From my research it seems I can combine the LL120 and ML120 fans on the included Corsair Commander CORE that comes with the Capellix Elite AIO. Post

 

Can I add the SP120 onto the Commander core as well?I don't care too much for fan speed control on the SP120, they can run at 100% for all I care.

 

I just want to know if I can combine these 3 types of fan on the Commander CORE

 

SP120 RGB PRO which I have already

ML120 Included with the h100i Capellix elite.

LL120 that come with the 280x case

 

I understand some RGB may behave funny but I'm not super bothered about that as long as they all light up :D

 

I will migrate all to LL120 fans eventually but I've just spent £500+ on the case, PSU, cooler and M2 drive, and £800 on other components within the last few months, so want to try and keep my cost down

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can I add the SP120 onto the Commander core as well?I don't care too much for fan speed control on the SP120, they can run at 100% for all I care.

 

That's good because the SP-Pro will run at 100%. The Commander Core is a PWM only controller. Those DC SP-Pro will get the full 12v.

 

 

 

I just want to know if I can combine these 3 types of fan on the Commander CORE

 

SP120 RGB PRO which I have already

ML120 Included with the h100i Capellix elite.

LL120 that come with the 280x case

 

 

Yes, it will work for the most part. SP-Pro (8 LEDs), ML-Elite (8), LL120 (16) and CUE will designate everything as 'base 16'. When you apply a static color or something that does not move from fan to fan, all is well. They all light and do the right thing. It is the special LL/QL effects that do jump from fan to fan and rely on the presence of an outer LED ring neither the SP-Pro or ML-Elite have. This is enough to keep you busy for a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's good because the SP-Pro will run at 100%. The Commander Core is a PWM only controller. Those DC SP-Pro will get the full 12v.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yes, it will work for the most part. SP-Pro (8 LEDs), ML-Elite (8), LL120 (16) and CUE will designate everything as 'base 16'. When you apply a static color or something that does not move from fan to fan, all is well. They all light and do the right thing. It is the special LL/QL effects that do jump from fan to fan and rely on the presence of an outer LED ring neither the SP-Pro or ML-Elite have. This is enough to keep you busy for a while.

 

 

 

Thank you! This is great information. I'll post up a pic when I'm finished. Parts arrive tomorrow :)

 

I just hope the h100i fits on the front as intake and the Gigabyte 3060ti oc pro fits...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well in the end, I got everything I needed.

 

I went with the fan on the front with rad behind, so far these seems great as my CPU temps stay pretty low (28c idle) and in game so far only tried Rust but around 55c @ 4.8Ghz / 1.28v.

 

Only downside is with this I can only have 1 fan on top. The RGB fans are too thick to fit where the coolant pipes leave the rad.

I might fit a Noctua Slimline fan in there.

 

I'm just testing for a bit and monitoring GPU and CPU temps before deciding what to do.

 

 

I might move the rad to be mounted on the roof then I can fit the 4 fans, unfortunately due to 3060TI size and Motherboard (mATX not mITX) I cannot fit fans on the bottom.

 

Another option would be to mount the RGB fans on the TOP of the case but I'd need some sort of extender for the top glass... it is possible I suppose. It'd need a roughly 30mm lift to fit the fans between the top of the outer case and the bottom of the glass.

 

Does anyone know the thread pitch/type for the top glass screws on the 280X case?

 

Here's a picture of the build finished

 

https://i.imgur.com/FGYaOMA.jpg

Edited by Suicidal Terror
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

Hi

I understand that I am writing quite late, but I myself faced such a problem.  My build will have 1x LL120 2x ML120 3x SP120.  Will I be able to connect all fans to Commander Core.  I don't need lighting effects like moving from one fan to another.  I also have Lightning Node Core, but I don't plan to use it.  I hope you'll give me a hand.
 

(Sorry for the translation, I'm from Russia)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ivan999 said:

Hi

I understand that I am writing quite late, but I myself faced such a problem.  My build will have 1x LL120 2x ML120 3x SP120.  Will I be able to connect all fans to Commander Core.  I don't need lighting effects like moving from one fan to another.  I also have Lightning Node Core, but I don't plan to use it.  I hope you'll give me a hand.
 

(Sorry for the translation, I'm from Russia)

The original SP-RGB fans run a completely different protocol for the RGB than any of the other fans. While you can get away with mixing LL and ML on the same channel (though effects may be weird), you absolutely cannot put the SP-RGB fans on the same channel. They won't work at all.

Note that the SP-RGB Pro and SP-RGB Elite, the newer ones, don't have that issue. This is only the original SP-RGB fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DevBiker said:

The original SP-RGB fans run a completely different protocol for the RGB than any of the other fans. While you can get away with mixing LL and ML on the same channel (though effects may be weird), you absolutely cannot put the SP-RGB fans on the same channel. They won't work at all.

Note that the SP-RGB Pro and SP-RGB Elite, the newer ones, don't have that issue. This is only the original SP-RGB fans.

My SP120 comes with a 4000X case, and as I understand it, there is an Elite version.  Thanks for the help anyway.  I will connect SP and ML to Commander Core, and LL to Lightning Node Core.  Then will I get rid of the problems?  After all, SP and ML have the same number of diodes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can connect them to the RGB side of the Commander Core, but you will need to use the MB or another fan controller for the SP-Pro.  As stated above, they are DC motors (3 pin connector) and controlled by voltage.  The Commander Core is a PWM controller and keep the voltage at 12v all the time.  This will make those fans run at 1700 rpm all the time with no fan speed control.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, c-attack said:

You can connect them to the RGB side of the Commander Core, but you will need to use the MB or another fan controller for the SP-Pro.  As stated above, they are DC motors (3 pin connector) and controlled by voltage.  The Commander Core is a PWM controller and keep the voltage at 12v all the time.  This will make those fans run at 1700 rpm all the time with no fan speed control.

I did not quite understand.  But I will have SP Elite version, if I'm not mistaken it has 4 pin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not sure what you have or if you have anything yet.  This thread was about using the SP-Pro and the consequences of that.  The SP-Elite is a different fan.  It is also 8 center mounted LEDs, but it is PWM.  Be careful when picking up extra fans to match.  A lot of vendors are a bit casual with the suffix on the end (RGB/PRO/Elite).

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, c-attack said:

I am not sure what you have or if you have anything yet.  This thread was about using the SP-Pro and the consequences of that.  The SP-Elite is a different fan.  It is also 8 center mounted LEDs, but it is PWM.  Be careful when picking up extra fans to match.  A lot of vendors are a bit casual with the suffix on the end (RGB/PRO/Elite).

Thanks a lot for your help, could you please help me with the last question.  I am worried that Commander Core and Lightning Nude Pro are not combined in any way.  That is, they will both be connected to the motherboard, but not to each other.  Does this have any consequences?

(Sorry if I am writing in the wrong section, it is difficult for me to navigate since I do not know English)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, they will show up as different devices and thus different "pages or tabs" within the CUE app.  You can have any combination of controllers.  The only limiting factor is the number of USB 2.0 port available.  In this case, it should be all on one for you anyway with the Commander Core.  

 

You will have to use the Commander Core as one controller since it is required to power/control the Elite series AIO.  That's not a problem and it gives you 6 PWM and 6 RGB ports on the other side. The Lighting Node Core that comes with the case can be saved for later expansion or something else.  

 

In the 5000X, you should have the hardware you need unless you are ready to add RGB strips.  Those types of devices require a Pro controllers.  The Core controllers only accept fans by default.  

 

Your ML-Elite and SP-Elite are a perfect match, 8 LEDs center and same color tone.  The LL is going to be the oddball in the mix.  It may look just fine (rear exhaust?), but be aware nothing can make the other fans do the "ring style" effects native to the LL or QL series.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, c-attack said:

No, they will show up as different devices and thus different "pages or tabs" within the CUE app.  You can have any combination of controllers.  The only limiting factor is the number of USB 2.0 port available.  In this case, it should be all on one for you anyway with the Commander Core.  

 

You will have to use the Commander Core as one controller since it is required to power/control the Elite series AIO.  That's not a problem and it gives you 6 PWM and 6 RGB ports on the other side. The Lighting Node Core that comes with the case can be saved for later expansion or something else.  

 

In the 5000X, you should have the hardware you need unless you are ready to add RGB strips.  Those types of devices require a Pro controllers.  The Core controllers only accept fans by default.  

 

Your ML-Elite and SP-Elite are a perfect match, 8 LEDs center and same color tone.  The LL is going to be the oddball in the mix.  It may look just fine (rear exhaust?), but be aware nothing can make the other fans do the "ring style" effects native to the LL or QL series.  

Thank you for your time and answering my questions. I will most likely buy three more LL's to replace the SP's. That way I will have 4x LL120s in the case and 2x ML120s on the H100i . Hopefully it will look nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Take your time and evaluate what you have. There won’t be any additional hardware required if you add a different fan type. If you really like the LL, then it may be enjoyable to add them to the front, but then I suspect it won’t be long until you want 2 more for the top. On the other hand, one more SP-Elite makes the case uniform from front to back. You’ll have to see. 

Edited by c-attack
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...