Corsair Community

How do I deal with intake/exhaust fan lighting differences in iCUE?

Elivyndyr

So I recently purchased a 220t and a bunch of QL fans to go inside of it. I went through the effort of trying to manually reposition all of my fans so that iCUE would pick it all up nice and neat, and for the most part the lighting is easy enough to deal with and everything set up very pretty looking. I go to put on my favorite lighting scheme and obsession/compulsion is kicks in when I notice the infinity setting doesn't perfectly snake from the front intake fans to the top exhaust fans. With the fans in the front acting as an intake they are backwards and this interferes with the lighting no matter what I do. You can rotate the software monitor 90 degrees as many times as you like, it doesn't deal with the fact that the fans themselves are reversed and will cause my figure 8-ing to eventually turn into what looks like a double parenthesis )) or two C's instead of the infinite snaking effect. It's not a game breaker or anything, you can barely notice it unless you know that from fan 2 to 3 you should be seeing a figure 8 instead of a large C, as far as facades go sure no one knows and it's still a very cool fan setup... but I do, and that's the worst part!

Is there any solution to this? I've already tried manually repositioning the fans and I don't know what else I can do because it seems like the software is just not equipped to deal with fan reversal and the what effect that'll have on the lighting effects. If there is a solution it is escaping me so anyone who can figure it out please do tell, otherwise this is my suggestion that an option be added to iCUE which will not only allow one to reposition their fans in terms of their clock orientation but their orientation as intake or exhaust as well.

You will need to line up the fans in the same top to bottom (or bottom to top fashion). If that is not possible then you can use the rotation mechanic. That is for positioning the fans in the proper top/bottom or side/side sequence for general fan order. There is no mechanic for repositioning multiple sides or way to deconstruct the pre-programmed lighting. It possible to program this effect yourself with it running in your desired path, but it would be an extremely difficult bit of work.

Someone else asked about this recently as well and the only thing I can surmise is you are starting at the front/top junction for the for the 0.25 seconds in which the lighting is exiting the top glass side of the front and top fan. I have a hard time seeing it with three glass panels on that side. I would think the 220T front fascia would block this from most normal positions unless you have the case rotated to the right and it sits above your seated position.

If this is critical, you can always flip the top fans to intake. That may or may not helpful for case cooling, but it does put your world back into alignment.

If this is critical, you can always flip the top fans to intake. That may or may not helpful for case cooling, but it does put your world back into alignment.

I figured as much, my next best solution was to just split the top/front panel into two separate infinity loops which is its own cool lightshow. I don't want to mess with the airflow on my case because it is the reason I got the case, the NZXT case I had my last CPU in fried it so I'm trying to be extra careful about the fans on this one. I've got another one in the mail and I think I'm just going to go for some sort of split intake/exhaust aesthetic on the lightshow. Hopefully someday there'll be an easier way to fix all of this but it isn't the worst problem. I can still get the Gate/Pong full lightshow to play, so that's good enough for me.

my next best solution was to just split the top/front panel into two separate infinity loops which is its own cool lightshow.

I find myself doing this more and more often now that I have QLs. It takes a fair amount of time for an effect to run 1-6 through 34 LEDs. For the top/bottom arrangement in a O11, I like running the two instances of the effect - one for each bank of three.

When you set that up, your clocks may be out of sync with each other. You can always force a clock reset by switching to another profile and switching right back. CUE has gotten much better about this with preset effects, but it sometimes is still necessary.