Corsair Community

RM750i - power values

I am running an RM750i, mainly as I was interested to see total power usage.

I am pleased to see that not only the PSU shows up in iCue, but also in HWInfo.

My issue however is that the 2 display different values, iCue always shows higher values for Power Out (which I assume translates to "PSU Power (sum))

There does not seem to be a value for Power In in HWInfo.

This made me wonder, is power in a calculated value by iCue? (efficiency vs power out?)

Is there any kind of adjustment to the figures made by iCue that HWinfo wouldnt see if its looking at raw numbers?

The only reason I am using HWinfo to read the values is so I can use the desktop gadget on my 2nd screen. (Something spaces could replace if it worked on 2nd monitors....)

runing both programs can, and actually should create bogus values. it usually screws readings having two programs poll the PSU at the same time.

On HWinfo there's two readings. PSU Power (sum) which is power IN, and PSU power (what is used by the computer). Thats what i see on HXi, but i suppose RMi shows the same.

I suppose iCUE doesn't show PSU power out because depending on poll rate, i can appear higher than power in, which makes no sense. You can see that on HWinfo actually.

If you just installed the PSU or HWinfo, you also may need to reboot to have all the sensors listed.

Im sorry but that makes no sense at all.

Two programs polling the same thing cant and wont change the value reported.

They are both reading something. Not writing.

I can confirm that having just HWinfo open, or just iCue still results in them reading slightly different.

Power(Sum) is barely higher than the other value "power" which HWinfo shows.

While in iCue power IN is a good bit higher than power OUT as expected.

If they are slightly different it may just be iCUE rounding up values. But i can tell you these programs don't like to work at the same time.

If you use a commander pro, or a power supply for example and have both programs running, often you'll see stupid voltages like a few thousand volts with 0W, fan speeds that would make a turbomolecular pump jealous etc..

If you can still read normal values you are in luck actually. You'll see hundreds of threads in the iCUE section where people complain they can't control fan speed because temperature readings are crazy.. and it's almost always caused by HWinfo or Aida64.

But in your case i believe it's just the manner in which they display values that makes these differences. HWinfo doesn't time well i guess because often power out is shown higher than power in.

Maybe iCUE polls those two values simultaneously to have them make sense, and HWinfo does it when it feels like.

Fact is there are several sensors in a PC for voltage. The motherboard typically has a part from Novotron while Corsair seems to be using a similar piece of hardware.

Reading the sensors all day long with dozens of programs will not affect anything. Not unless the developer is taking hostile steps.

corsair devices are over USB.. that adds another bottleneck in terms of connections..

Fact is it does create problems.. just one example, there are tons more on the forum.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=202658&highlight=hwinfo

There's a reason why the maker of HWinfo added a disable corsair support in the "safety" tab of his program... it can mess up readings and potentially cook your components if your cooling goes nuts.

but in this case i think it's only polling delay that gives different readings.

Third-party monitoring software such as Aida64, HWinfo64, HWMonitor, etc... does indeed conflict with the iCUE software which can result is such faulty readings.

I am curious how that would be possible?

Surely the sensor is providing data, no application can write to that or alert it by just reading it?

In my case, I can certainly have either HWinfo or iCue reading it fine, or both at the same time.

The readings dont change when I open/close 1 or the other.

As said, the only difference seems to be that HWinfo reads lower than iCue consitently.

Which is why I was asking....does iCue do anything to the raw values?

Like power IN or OUT actually being calculated based on efficiency?

I havent got round to it yet, but plan to connect a Watt-o-meter before the RM750i, and then compare

• Corsair Employees
I am curious how that would be possible?

Surely the sensor is providing data, no application can write to that or alert it by just reading it?

In my case, I can certainly have either HWinfo or iCue reading it fine, or both at the same time.

The readings dont change when I open/close 1 or the other.

As said, the only difference seems to be that HWinfo reads lower than iCue consitently.

Which is why I was asking....does iCue do anything to the raw values?

Like power IN or OUT actually being calculated based on efficiency?

I havent got round to it yet, but plan to connect a Watt-o-meter before the RM750i, and then compare

It also comes down to what sensors each software is using to report. iCUE will pull the information directly from the PSU via the USB link. The other software may attempt to connect that way, which can cause conflicts, or they pull the data from sensors on the motherboard. In which case you have to take into account the resistance contributed by the PSU cables, the connectors on the motherboard end, and the resistance between the sensor and where it is reading the voltages.

The other issue with running multiple hardware monitoring tools is they all utilize the CPUID SDK and if you are using our Dashboard feature in iCUE it also uses the the CPUID SDK. When you have multiple software attempting to connect to and read from those sensors it can lead to conflicts which can lead to incorrect values being reported, or in extreme cases actually cause iCUE to lose control of the devices or even completely crash.

Edited by Corsair Notepad

It also comes down to what sensors each software is using to report. iCUE will pull the information directly from the PSU via the USB link. The other software may attempt to connect that way, which can cause conflicts, or they pull the data from sensors on the motherboard. In which case you have to take into account the resistance contributed by the PSU cables, the connectors on the motherboard end, and the resistance between the sensor and where it is reading the voltages.

The other issue with running multiple hardware monitoring tools is they all utilize the CPUID SDK and if you are using our Dashboard feature in iCUE it also uses the the CPUID SDK. When you have multiple software attempting to connect to and read from those sensors it can lead to conflicts which can lead to incorrect values being reported, or in extreme cases actually cause iCUE to lose control of the devices or even completely crash.

Can you confirm that iCue simply reads the values via USB without calculating any of them?

IE: any other software could read them the same way, and get the same values?