Corsair Community

Lighting freezing on K95 RGB Platinum XT

Parmenedes

iCue (for once) had been running without any issues for the last couple of months, and then I decided to try to use MSI afterburner's auto-overclocking tool to OC my EVGA 3080 GPU. That was a mistake apparently. The upside is that I have learned not to trust those auto-overclocking tools. The downside is that while afterburner was running its scan, it crashed my pc, and ever since then, the lighting on my keyboard freezes up. If I quit icue and restart it, or if I unplug my keyboard and plug it back in, the lighting goes back to normal, but after a few hours, it inevitably freezes up again.

This used to happen to my old keyboard, and after trying a bunch of fixes, Corsair had me RMA it a few months ago, after which it worked flawlessly. I'm hoping to be able to fix this without doing that again, and I figured I'd ask here to see if anyone has an idea as to what might have happened and how to fix it before I open another ticket. The thing that triggered it was definitely the MSI auto-overclock tool. It was literally working perfectly before that happened, and then immediately started screwing up after it happened, and nothing else has changed with my computer - no new software, no new hardware, nothing. I thought about posting this in the keyboard forums, but my intuition is that the problem is software related, so I posted it here instead.

Any help would be appreciated.

In order from easiest to most irritating:

1) CUE repair install -> Windows Settings -> Apps list -> select Corsair iCUE "modify" and follow the repair installation prompts. Sometimes cleans up weird issues and reinstalls the driver. Could have been corrupted on crash.

2) Windows chipset driver reinstall. Typically these are related to USB functionality. Check your MB website and force install over.

3) Check VCCIO and VCCSA voltage in your BIOS. Can be critical values when running overclocked RAM, but also if you hard crash from Windows it will sometimes trigger the "Mem OK" function where it thinks you have a problem booting. These usually jack up DRAM voltage and those two values. Overly high (or low) IO voltage can cause peripheral freezes.

4) Windows repair/re-install - Easy version is in powershell (admin) tool. "SFC /scannow". I don't think it is a very effective tool with a low success rate, but it also takes 3 minutes and is harmless. There is always the nuclear option and reinstalling Windows, but I am sure you would like to avoid that.

The tuning program in Afterburner used to be a very successful one. They made some changes a month or two back and it works differently now. First time I have ever had an issue with it and I used to run it and the integrity test all the time as water cooling test procedure for my GPU without needing to be fullscreen. It seems unlikely the KB was physically damaged, so the odds favor software corruption on some level. Where is the bigger issue.

Tried icue repair and got the following message:

"An installation package for the product CORSAIR iCUE Software cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package '37.140_release.msi."

It's possible that this happened because a couple of weeks ago I migrated a non-os hard drive with a bunch of data on it onto a new ssd. I had kept my downloads folder there so had to redirect the downloads folder to the new drive. That's my best guess at least. Does this mean I should just uninstall and reinstall iCue instead of trying to repair it? Or is there a fix for this that would allow me to do the repair? If I uninstall and reinstall, will my profiles be preserved? I have a ton of settings (for fan curves, rgb across multiple devices, and keybinds for mouse and keyboard) that I really don't want to have to set up from scratch again.

Edit for clarification: I named the new drive with a different drive letter than the old drive had, which in retrospect was probably a mistake (although none of that appeared to have any impact on icue, as I did that weeks ago, and icue was working great until the afterburner fiasco yesterday). I'm thinking of renaming it with the old drive letter and hoping it doesn't mess anything else up further.

Edited by Parmenedes

1) Go to C:User/(name)/App data (hidden)/Roaming and copy the "Corsair" folder to the desktop. This is all your setting and profiles.

2) If you want to be cautious, back up (export) any critical profiles that would be hard to remake, but this procedure should not require any new set up.

3) Uninstall CUE. Click the check box to delete user settings. Wondering if this will work or if you will need to force uninstall it with 3rd party software.

4) After removal re-install 3.37. It will go through the normal dialogue boxes. Before you click finish to launch the program, navigate back to C:User/name/app data/Roaming and drop the Corsair folder from the desktop back into place. There should not be a Corsair folder already there. Now click finish and the program will launch. All your settings and layouts will be as they were.

The flaw in this plan will be if it is the CUE configuration or settings that are the problem. By dropping the Corsair folder back in, your drop the old settings back in. Another option would be to wait on that, launch the program in default form, and check on the KB status. You can drop that Corsair folder back into Roaming at any time while CUE is not running. Re-launch and everything is back the way it was.

1) Go to C:User/(name)/App data (hidden)/Roaming and copy the "Corsair" folder to the desktop. This is all your setting and profiles.

2) If you want to be cautious, back up (export) any critical profiles that would be hard to remake, but this procedure should not require any new set up.

3) Uninstall CUE. Click the check box to delete user settings. Wondering if this will work or if you will need to force uninstall it with 3rd party software.

4) After removal re-install 3.37. It will go through the normal dialogue boxes. Before you click finish to launch the program, navigate back to C:User/name/app data/Roaming and drop the Corsair folder from the desktop back into place. There should not be a Corsair folder already there. Now click finish and the program will launch. All your settings and layouts will be as they were.

The flaw in this plan will be if it is the CUE configuration or settings that are the problem. By dropping the Corsair folder back in, your drop the old settings back in. Another option would be to wait on that, launch the program in default form, and check on the KB status. You can drop that Corsair folder back into Roaming at any time while CUE is not running. Re-launch and everything is back the way it was.

Ok, thanks, c. You are always a huge help to tons of people on these forums. Much appreciated. Will try this hopefully tomorrow.

• Corsair Employees
Tried icue repair and got the following message:

"An installation package for the product CORSAIR iCUE Software cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package '37.140_release.msi."

It's possible that this happened because a couple of weeks ago I migrated a non-os hard drive with a bunch of data on it onto a new ssd. I had kept my downloads folder there so had to redirect the downloads folder to the new drive. That's my best guess at least. Does this mean I should just uninstall and reinstall iCue instead of trying to repair it? Or is there a fix for this that would allow me to do the repair? If I uninstall and reinstall, will my profiles be preserved? I have a ton of settings (for fan curves, rgb across multiple devices, and keybinds for mouse and keyboard) that I really don't want to have to set up from scratch again.

Edit for clarification: I named the new drive with a different drive letter than the old drive had, which in retrospect was probably a mistake (although none of that appeared to have any impact on icue, as I did that weeks ago, and icue was working great until the afterburner fiasco yesterday). I'm thinking of renaming it with the old drive letter and hoping it doesn't mess anything else up further.

Feel free to backup the profiles as C-attack stated but you will either need to download the installer again, run it, and then choose uninstall. Or you can utilize the steps in the link below. The issue you have is the fact that you renamed the drive letter with your new drive which means all paths are not associated correctly. Just renaming the drive now will not necessarily resolve the issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed

Well I tried all those steps. I actually seem worse off than before. within a few minutes of starting icue, it lost connection with my mouse and my new mm700 mousepad completely, and I lost all all my actions for my mouse and keyboard as well. Ugh. At least I have my fan curves and lighting effects, but it's going to take me awhile to rebuild the actions, and that's assuming that I don't just have to start the whole damn thing from scratch.

Something else that just cropped up today after installing my new mm700 mousepad, which is that my mouse keeps becoming unresponsive for a second or so quite often.I had to RMA my old mouse recently because it was borked on a number of levels, not the least of which was that it was doing that, which has gotten me and my group killed multiple times in various games, and is just plain annoying in when using my pc while not in-game. It doesn't disconnect from the computer, but rather the pc just kind of stops accepting input from it. I could be moving the cursor across the screen, and it just stops for a second or so while I'm moving my mouse, or sometimes I'll hit a button that doesn't register. The one they sent me definitely feels more solid, and it was working perfectly until today. Not sure if it's connected to the problem with icue we're dealing with here or because I have it plugged into the mm700 instead of directly into my keyboard. It was working fine when plugged into my k95, but now I have the mouse plugged into the mm700, the mm700 plugged into the keyboard, and the keyboard plugged directly into the pc. Maybe too much daisy-chaining or something. At any rate, I am making progress in the negative direction now.

Edit: going to try different usb inputs and starting from scratch with iCue. I really with they'd let me in the icue beta test program to see if it works any better than the current version. I am a huge fan of Corsair but have had major problems with icue damn near constantly (up until like two months ago) across three different pc's and multiple windows re-installs ever since the very first k95 rgb keyboard came out like 6 years ago. It's been pretty demoralizing that it seemed like everything was finally stable two months ago and now is completely falling apart yet again.

Edit 2: after unplugging my mouse from the mm700 and plugging it back into the keyboard, for some reason my actions reappeared, and for now at least neither the mouse nor the mm700 have lost connection with icue. maybe it was trying to draw too much power or something. I'm praying that they stay connected and that the mouse doesn't become unresponsive again... we'll see. Regardless, I do appreciate everyone's help here in trying to get this working properly.

Edited by Parmenedes

Well usb ports and what not don't seem to fix it. Mouse still becoming unresponsive and mm700 as well as mouse keep losing connection with icue (but not the pc itself). Last time this happened the only thing that fixed it was an RMA (and that only worked with some peripherals), so I'm not feeling hopeful. I had tried everything from clean install and rebuilding icue from the scratch as well as entire windows re-install in the past, to no avail. Going to try reinstalling icue from scratch next, but if that doesn't work, no idea what to do.

The fact that the peripherals disconnected from icue across 100% new pc rebuilds (including motherboards/cpus/etc. and including rma-ing periphierals tells me that there are some major software problems with icue. I really really really hope this stuff gets resolved in the beta version they're testing, because I've read dozens and dozens of posts of people having the same kinds of problems and not being able to fix them over the years.

ok, I just uninstalled icue (deleting user settings), reinstalled my chipset drivers, restarted my pc, then did a clean install of icue (didn't move the corsair folder back in), and now icue has the dreaded red exclamation point next to my keyboard (which is completely new) as well as on the the mm700. Feeling extremely discouraged. I might just do a full windows re-install, for like the third time in the last three months...

kind of want to throw my whole computer out the window at this point.

I’ll add a detail I’ve noticed. I Hackintosh, so this could mean a billion things, but I have noticed that when I leave iCUE on at the same time as a screensaver (macOS screensavers are surprisingly complex and thus graphically intensive), the lighting lags... a lot. If this makes sense, it lags with the same intensity as the screensaver. Within moments, my K95 froze/crashed. My other Corsair peripherals — and I have several — were just fine, though.

It makes me wonder if this is a problem of the graphics card rendering the effects (but if so, why does it freeze even when I turn off iCUE?) or if it’s a power draw problem. I have a 550watt PSU from Corsair, but that might just not be enough for the sheer number of devices plugged in. It only freezes when something stressful is happening, something like the heat of battle, or Final Cut Pro’s existence.

To those of you with K95 freezes... what is your PSU rated for?

I’ll add a detail I’ve noticed. I Hackintosh, so this could mean a billion things, but I have noticed that when I leave iCUE on at the same time as a screensaver (macOS screensavers are surprisingly complex and thus graphically intensive), the lighting lags... a lot. If this makes sense, it lags with the same intensity as the screensaver. Within moments, my K95 froze/crashed. My other Corsair peripherals — and I have several — were just fine, though.

It makes me wonder if this is a problem of the graphics card rendering the effects (but if so, why does it freeze even when I turn off iCUE?) or if it’s a power draw problem. I have a 550watt PSU from Corsair, but that might just not be enough for the sheer number of devices plugged in. It only freezes when something stressful is happening, something like the heat of battle, or Final Cut Pro’s existence.

To those of you with K95 freezes... what is your PSU rated for?

Interesting take on things. I currently am running a corsair 1000w power supply with an EVGA 3080 FTW3 video card, but I had similar problems with 100% different hardware (different motherboard/cpu/ram, etc. with a 1080ti card and an 850 watt power card).

Edit: I’m not sure what corsair has planned with the upcoming new version of icue, but I kind of hope they’re rebuilding it from the ground up altogether. Every major tech publication (Linus tech tips, gamers nexus, various written publications, etc. kind of can’t stand icue due to how clunky and buggy it is, and that’s even considering that in its current state it’s WAY better than it was a few years ago). Corsair really needs to rethink how they’re approaching the software as a whole (which is what I hope they’re doing). Progress has certainly been made, but it’s still a buggy, clunky mess. They have such amazing hardware, which is one of the reasons I love the company, but it’s held back in some major ways by the software you need to run it.

Edited by Parmenedes

In order from easiest to most irritating:

3) Check VCCIO and VCCSA voltage in your BIOS. Can be critical values when running overclocked RAM, but also if you hard crash from Windows it will sometimes trigger the "Mem OK" function where it thinks you have a problem booting. These usually jack up DRAM voltage and those two values. Overly high (or low) IO voltage can cause peripheral freezes.

As I continue to try to figure out what's going on with this, I went ahead and checked the various voltage settings in my bios (after trying multiple uninstalls/reinstalls of icue and running and sfc scan (which I regularly do anyway) which came up clean. I do have a moderate overclock on my cpu (which I mentioned just for full disclosure), but it never throws whea warnings/errors and appears to be completely stable (It's a 5.0 overclock on a 10700k cpu where I cranked up the cpu voltage just a little to 3.65). I don't overclock my ram at all aside from setting it to its standard xmp setting. I don't see any settings called VCCIO or VCCSA, but I do see settings called CPU IO and CPU SA, which I initially would have thought are not the same settings as what you're talking about, but from what I've read it sounds like they are (motherboard is an MSI z490 Meg Ace). Both of those voltages are set to auto.

Edit: Oh and I did reinstall the chipset drivers, even though it didn't seem like there was anything wrong with them as well.

New issue:

Now devices, including my elite capellix cooler (along with its commander core), my second commander core, my keyboard, my mouse, and my mm700 have all just completely vanished from icue. No red triangle, just gone. I imagine they'll come back if I restart or something, but this is also very concerning.

Edit: upon restarting icue, keyboard, mouse, and mm600 are appearing but with red triangles, my second commander core is there (without a red triangle). And the elite capellix cooler is still just missing altogether.

Edited by Parmenedes

It is seeming increasingly likely there is a problem with the mm700 itself. There might be something else going on too, but I think I'm making progress with the other stuff. Anytime there's more than one problem going on, it can be really dififcult to diagnose, but after taking some other steps - most notably in my bios (turning legacy usb off) and device manager power settings, which had reverted for some reason despite my having told my pc never to turn that stuff off to save power in the past, the other devices (for now at least) seem to be working ok. After a couple more hours... who knows? But for now, the mm700 gets the red triangle within minutes of being unplugged/plugged back in regardless of what I do with it. I might just have a defective unit, or it might be something that can be fixed with a firmware update (there are no updates available for it right now, but I'm thinking of forcing a firmware update just to see what happens. I'm going to open a ticket specifically about this device, or just return it altogether.

It's worth noting that the MM800 polaris created similar issues, meaning simply having it plugged in would cause other usb devices to go haywire, in much the same way the the mm700 is, so I suspect there might be some kind of design or manufacturing problem with these mousepads in general. I've found other people reporting exactly the same problem with the mm800 polaris online (mm700 is too new for this stuff to be showing up), and I've personally experienced it on multiple machines with the mm800.

Things don't seem to be going in the right direction...

At this point is is clear this is not a IO/SA voltage issue. Those tend to be lock ups or freezes and would not cause the red triangle stuff in CUE. That is usually related to some type of device initialization error when the program loads. KBs are easier and unplugging and reconnecting will usually solve it (at least until the next cold boot). Can't do that with RAM, but it is just the lighting control affecting and not actual RAM functionality. Z490s typically do not have the wider USB issues of some of the AMD boards, so this is a bit abnormal.

The MM800 was always an odd duck. I am glad to see a replacement in the MM700, but I don't know much about it at this point. Go to CUE Settings and turn on debug logging. That will allow you to export the logs after the next MM700 red triangle. Contact Corsair Support in regards to the MM700 so the logs can be uploaded to them. That one may also respond to the unplug/reconnect solution.

Things don't seem to be going in the right direction...

At this point is is clear this is not a IO/SA voltage issue. Those tend to be lock ups or freezes and would not cause the red triangle stuff in CUE. That is usually related to some type of device initialization error when the program loads. KBs are easier and unplugging and reconnecting will usually solve it (at least until the next cold boot). Can't do that with RAM, but it is just the lighting control affecting and not actual RAM functionality. Z490s typically do not have the wider USB issues of some of the AMD boards, so this is a bit abnormal.

The MM800 was always an odd duck. I am glad to see a replacement in the MM700, but I don't know much about it at this point. Go to CUE Settings and turn on debug logging. That will allow you to export the logs after the next MM700 red triangle. Contact Corsair Support in regards to the MM700 so the logs can be uploaded to them. That one may also respond to the unplug/reconnect solution.

Yeah I just opened a ticket with Corsair. I *think* I've managed to fix the issues with the other devices, at least for now, but the mm700 still gets the red triangle within minutes of plugging it in. I'll turn on debugging mode, but I'm thinking I might have a defective unit that will need to be RMA'd. I'll keep you guys updated as to my progress in this thread, which has admittedly morphed quite a bit since my opening post.

Incidentally (I'm including this in case others come across this thread and find the following info helpful), I think that one of the issues that was causing problems was that a bunch of my corsair stuff comes up as "generic usb hub" in device manager since they might have one or two usb connectors on them. One of the things I did a long while back when I kept having problems with devices losing connection to icue or sometimes even just disconnecting/reconnecting from the pc at random times was to go into all of those "hubs" in device manager and uncheck the box in the power management tab that said "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". At some point recently (perhaps during a windows update?) windows decided to go back and check all those boxes again - not sure why. As part of my own troubleshooting process today, I went into device manager and looked there and noticed that had happened. After unchecking all those boxes again, things seem to be (hopefully) stable, or at least a bit more stable... time will tell exactly how stable. But the mm700 is still having the same problem. I don't know of a way to tell windows to stop checking those boxes that turn off the "hubs". My windows power settings is already set to high performance, and I have also always had "usb selective suspend" turned off, so not sure why it keeps doing that.

As always, thank you very much for taking the time to help here.

Edited by Parmenedes