Corsair Community

RGB CPU Fans - What are my options

venomx

I have 3x SP120s and 2x SP 140s all connected to the front and rear of my case.

I also have a Node Core

If I want RGB CPU fans which do I need, must they be PWM and 4pin ?? And which ones would be compatible with my Node core setup?

I do have smart mode in my bios where I can create a fan curve

I do have two ARGB headers on my mobo too

MY cooler is a noctua NHU12s

Can you mix LL fans with SP ?

Edited by venomx

This likely depends on your MB. Most boards have dual DC/PWM headers. However, there are quite a few motherboard where the CPU/OPT headers are PWM only. That information may be in the manual.

Where things get a little trickier is you are sitting on 5 fans and likely need two more for the air cooler. CUE limits you to 6 fans per controller, so you may need another controller if you want them to be part of the CUE lighting system. That could be a boon if you do need PWM fans and the ML-RGB (PWM) would work well on a radiator. However, none of the Corsair fans are direct plugins to your MB D-RGB ports. Those are typically used with more simple fans that do not have their own control software. There are some 3rd party adapters out there, but I am not sure if that is way to go.

This likely depends on your MB. Most boards have dual DC/PWM headers. However, there are quite a few motherboard where the CPU/OPT headers are PWM only. That information may be in the manual.

Where things get a little trickier is you are sitting on 5 fans and likely need two more for the air cooler. CUE limits you to 6 fans per controller, so you may need another controller if you want them to be part of the CUE lighting system. That could be a boon if you do need PWM fans and the ML-RGB (PWM) would work well on a radiator. However, none of the Corsair fans are direct plugins to your MB D-RGB ports. Those are typically used with more simple fans that do not have their own control software. There are some 3rd party adapters out there, but I am not sure if that is way to go.

Thanks for the info.

Can you mix SP120s and LL120s on the Node Core ?

Not well. The LL is 16 and SP-Pro 8 LEDs. You have to put the LL first in the hub and then tell CUE you have LL x 4 to generate enough LEDs for the series. However, that makes all your SP-Pro half of a LL fan in the UI. It's a bit difficult to manage.

I also had another think on this and I am not sure it's overly important to have independent lighting for the two fans on either side of the radiator. This is an example where a RGB fan splitter might be useful (both fans you be duplicates of each other). Adding two ML fans to end of you current 5 SP-Pro is more manageable. You tell it SP-PRO x 6. The two MLs are the first 4 LEDs of the last fan. All other fans match their UI element. Something like this would work and occupy the last slot on the Lighting Node Core. It also would work if your MB can do 3 pin DC fans and you get two more SP-Pro.