Corsair Community

Troubleshooting RGB fan synchronization 1000D

Bogartz

I recently updated my build and I'm having some synchronization issues with my RGB fans. I'm not sure if this is software, bad fans, bad controller, bad hub, or something else. Just looking for some help troubleshooting this and/or if someone has had a similar issue and how they fixed it.

My issue is I have 4 fans on the front radiators that are not syncing with the other fans based on what lighting link I choose via chassis lighting in iCue. I have attached a couple of videos that show the different lighting configs I chose e.g. rainbow or static etc.

The other issue I've had is the top fans (3) 140 and (1) rear 120, lag when changing colors as shown in the video. I've also experienced the last 140 fan in the top has 1 LED that will periodically go out and light up again. Not sure if that's a faulty fan or something else.

Update: Swapping out the RGB hubs produced the same results.

I have 20 fans currently hooked up to 3 Commander Pros and 5 RGB hubs.

Commander Pro (1000D) and 2 RGB hubs with 8 fans connected

Commander Pro and 2 RGB hubs with 8 fans connected

Commander Pro and 1 RGB hub with 4 fans connected (3 HD140, 1 HD120)

Here's my best attempt at laying out my ComPro/Hub/Fan setup. Sorry mine aren't nearly as good as Zotty's :sigh!:

6kWJno2.png

[ame]

[/ame]

The top fans lag when colors change.

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by Bogartz

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a fan problem, but if there's any @Corsair folks that could provide some guidance before I submit a ticket I would appreciate it.

I went and redid my cabling and in that process I changed some cables out and essentially moved those same fans to a different CoPro and RGB Hub and the same fan/fans on the front radiator are still producing the same problem. In essence I think I've managed to cross off any potential cabling or hardware, other than the fan themselves from the equation and single it out to the fan with this reconfiguring I did.

My next step would be to get an extra HD120 fan and plugging it in where the problem fan is to see if it really is a fan issue. Obviously I don't have an extra fan so hoping I can get some help determining my next steps.

Edited by Bogartz

and i suspect the 3rd 140mm fan up top is not passing data to its next led any more. maybe 3rd or 4th LED on that fan?.. this is a known issue and does happen at random times with the occasional fan (very small number out of the 10's of thousand sold) Edited by Zotty

Hi Bud.

quick question.... is one of the commander pros the 1000d version? and does it have the RGB cable still plugged into LED channel one for front sails logo and front IO lighting?

Yep, one of those CoPros is the 1000D that comes with the case and channel 1 has the chassis lighting connected.

I did go back through my setup and moved fans to different CoPros and hubs to see if it was a controller or fans and after moving things around the same fans on the front radiators showed the same results, so I made some assumptions that it was a fan issue, but again that's just speculation.

I had the thought to take my extra HD120 fan and sequentially unplug each fan currently and plug the extra one in to see the results. With my swapping fan locations to CoPro/hub previously I'm not sure that will provide me anything different, but I might just to satisfy my curiosity to see what results I get.

Corsair support has asked me to unplug the RGBs and replug in each fan individually to see if I can find where the broken link is. That might be what I do first to find the potential bad fan and then plug in the extra HD120.

Thanks again for helping look at this Zotty, I truly appreciate your help and expertise.

no worries man..

i would be looking at him as far as the top fans go... looks like only the first couple of LEDs are syncing

http://i.imgur.com/wd45wAwl.png

not so sure whats happening in the front.. but i would say its before it gets to the fans as its doing it on both cloned channels, cant see what the inner rad fans are doing in the video). but looks like fans 1 and 2 on both sides (banks of 4 left and right?).. does it do this with instant lighting?

Yeah I'll take a look at that top rear fan, might just have to buy a new one to see if that eliminates it.

As far as the rad fans, all of the fans on the inner side of the rads appear to be working as expected. It seems to be the bottom 4 fans of each side having issues, or at least the the 3rd fan on each side as anything after the broken link will experience issues.

I tried instant lighting and here's a couple of colors, dark green, orange, red, and teal I believe.

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame]

[ame]

[/ame] [ame]
[/ame] Edited by Bogartz

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I have been working with Corsair Support for the past month sorting out my issues and troublshooting/testing to provide them some feedback. In the end they determined that by using 2 Y-splitters for my setup, essentially adding 2 fans each to a PWM connector on the CoPro that I have potentially damaged a fan or two or three or four :P This is related to the HD120 fans on the front of the case attached to the radiators. I determined that 2 fans had bad RGB lighting which were the #3 fans of each radiator bank. Corsair support stated that adding 1 additional fan is ok, but any more than 7 fans connected to one CoPro could potentially damage fans.

The positive to this is even though the damage done could be deemed user fault, Corsair made the exception and warrantied the fans anyway.

The downside is the HD series fans are at end of life and they don't have any to replace my faulty fans LOL. They can offer me the LL series which for my setup would require a large chunk of money to upgrade 18 fans and/or CoPros etc.

Kudos to Corsair regardless, even though the damage done could be pinned on the user they stepped up and warrantied them anyway and that's providing a great customer experience!!!!!

Thanks Corsair for stepping up and thanks to Eric @CorsairTechSupport, great guy to work with and appreciate all his effort over the past month.