Corsair Community

Computer is freezing

Hey everyone !

I have got a gaming PC (self build) and it almost works like it is supposed to do. When I've had my pc on for a few hours (2 hours or so) and I open / close a software or sometimes if i'm doing nothing, my computer freezes. I just see my screen as when it froze, and my mouse is not moving, also my keyboard won't do anything. A weird thing is that when i have my audio system plugged into the PC it would give a weird noise for a sec when freezing, and then just continue to play the song / video I was watching. The only way to get out of this is to hold the power button or press the reset button on the case of the pc. After reboot it will work fine for some time and it will freeze again. Some people said it could be something with my PSU. I've already tried to completely whipe my ssd and reinstall windows 10, but no succes. I've also reseated my ram and tried a new monitor, and another graphicscard, but still no succes. Does anyone know what my problem could be ?

I really hope for a response as I've had this problem for quite a while now, and it's really irritating me.

Since you are on the first Ryzen generation, i personally would try to lower the RAM frequency down from 3200 and see if it solves the glitches.

Maybe it's on the edge of stability, given how sensitive Zen was with memory timings.

You could try to run the ram at the CPU's specification of 2666mhz, to test if it solves the crashes. If it does, increase a bit until you find the highest stable frequency.

Apart from that, it's a fairly low power build, i doubt the CX450M would struggle with it.

Since you are on the first Ryzen generation, i personally would try to lower the RAM frequency down from 3200 and see if it solves the glitches.

Maybe it's on the edge of stability, given how sensitive Zen was with memory timings.

You could try to run the ram at the CPU's specification of 2666mhz, to test if it solves the crashes. If it does, increase a bit until you find the highest stable frequency.

Apart from that, it's a fairly low power build, i doubt the CX450M would struggle with it.

Thank you for your reply,

I tried putting my RAM to DDR4-2666 But after 2 hours or so my PC still froze while I was working in a word file.

Ryzen 1000 series are best at DDR4-2666

Hey guys,

I searched for my RAM sticks which are: Kingston KHX2133C14D4/4g

When i look at the specs i see Frequenty: 2133MHz

Does this mean that 2133MHz is the highest it can go ?.

I do not know a lot about computers and I really hope you can help me out.

Thanks !

hmm apparently this kit is a 2133mhz like most of today's DDR4, but it supports up to 2666 when ran with XMP overclock.

It seems to be a very old kit. Today, RAM is advertised at its max XMP frequency.

You buy a set of 3200mhz ram, and it's often 2133 that can overclock to 3200.

So apparently at 2666 you're pushing it to it's maximum rated overclock. 3200 was just lucky you were ever able to boot i guess.

So, forget what i said earlier ^^ try to run your RAM at 2133, instead of 2666 and see if it freezes. If it's stable, then it may mean they need a bit more voltage to get to 2666 stable.

It's not a very high frequency, so the marketing claims that it can overclock while staying at 1.2V can be true, but maybe a little kick could help, like increasing slightly without pushing to 1.35V like more current sticks do.

If it runs fine at 2133, i'd try 2666 again, bumping ram voltage to 1.25 - 1.28V and test again. It could be as simple as that.

That kind of computer crash is really a bummer to diagnostic. It can be a ton of things. Windows that derped and need to be reinstalled, some program that crashes it, a bad memory stick or timings, an old PSU with tons of voltage ripple creating instability, your cat's hair in the fans creating static electricity, a bad mains ground in the premises... you name it

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone !

I have got a gaming PC (self build) and it almost works like it is supposed to do. When I've had my pc on for a few hours (2 hours or so) and I open / close a software or sometimes if i'm doing nothing, my computer freezes. I just see my screen as when it froze, and my mouse is not moving, also my keyboard won't do anything. A weird thing is that when i have my audio system plugged into the PC it would give a weird noise for a sec when freezing, and then just continue to play the song / video I was watching. The only way to get out of this is to hold the power button or press the reset button on the case of the pc. After reboot it will work fine for some time and it will freeze again. Some people said it could be something with my PSU. I've already tried to completely whipe my ssd and reinstall windows 10, but no succes. I've also reseated my ram and tried a new monitor, and another graphicscard, but still no succes. Does anyone know what my problem could be ?

I really hope for a response as I've had this problem for quite a while now, and it's really irritating me.

I found this thread looking for answers to my current issue since it sounds kind of similar. I'm not that technical, but setting the power supply idle control to typical in the bios half solved my issue. Another issue arose from that, but it might stop the freezing in your case maybe?