Corsair Community

Fried two motherboards from wrong cables or PCIE riser

Hello,

A bit of a complicated issue that I have nailed out to two parts of why I fried two motherboards in span of 24hr hours.

Question:

I had a HX650W power supply and yesterday went out to grab RM1000X. I was trying to hook up 4 GPU's to run and since 1 card (MSI 3080) required 3 8pin connectors I was out of cables and decided to use PCI-E 6 pin connector from my HX650W which I plugged into the peripherals & Sata port on the new RM1000X. After hitting to turn on, it goes on for 1 second and nothing is powered.

Either it's the wrong mix of cables on PSU that fried it or the PCI-E risers as that seems to be a common thing as well from researching online.

I can't find the wiring diagram but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't used my old cable on the new one

Extra details/long story:

Got home, swapped the PSU turned on with one GPU and booted up, proceeded to hook up the remaining 3, turn on for 1 second and died. It woudln't even boot, just turned on for 1 second and off. I left it running like that and eventaully booted up with every boot having a slightly longer running duration. Though no signal on screen, tried every possible solution I could find. Reseting bios, trying different GPU, on board GPU still no picture. I had my old one laying around and swapped back to it so still have a computer to use. Powered it on with single GPU and everything was fine. I for some reason decided to hook up the MSI 3080 with the 3 8PIN first and pulled the cable from old power supply to hook up as my 3rd as if that card worked hooking up the other 2 wouldn't have enough cables. First boot, dead right aways just like the MSI board from last night. First thing I thought is it's the PCIe riser that fried it, though after some researching I think mixing the cables was the problem.

I guess I will go grab a new motherboard and find out tomorrow, hopefully the CPU/GPU is still reuseable and it was just the motherboard that fried.

Hope my story makes sense

The PCIe cables are interchangeable between Type 3 and Type 4 - the difference between Type3 and 4 is the 24pin ATX cable. If I unterstand you correctly, there should have been no issue with the PCIe cables from different PSUs. Either you've used the wrong 24pin or there is a different underlying issue. Maybe the inrush current from having 4 GPUs messed up your PSU or something, surely someone smarter can give an answer to that.

Refer to this chart

Edited by Infin1tum

The GPU only wants 12V and grounds. the 6 pin PCIE is 3 pins 12V and 3 pins ground only.

Plugging that into a peripheral/SATA connector on the psu is uber dodgy..

you have grounds, 12V, 5V and 3.3V in god knows which pins.

Besides, the 6 pin end goes into the GPU, not the PSU so i have no idea how that's even feasible ^^'

I imagine that was probably a dead short for the PSU, sending basically every available voltage rail to ground and triggering OCP right away. (Don't cross the streams, that's bad)

You can power GPUs only through the 8 pin sockets on the PSU

I don't know what the other 3 GPUs are, but if you have 1 cable for CPU power, and 3 on the 3080, you could at best power 2 old GPUs with one single 8 pin cable each.

What you could do to free one cable, is run the 3080 off one 8 pin and one pigtail cable to supply the two last 8 pin connectors.

That would leave you with 3x8pin sockets free on the PSU.

I don't know what your build is, but if you mean to have some intensive calculation going on 4 GPUs plus some fat CPU to top it all, an RM1000x may not be enough

Maybe fill up your system specs in your profile, that may help :)

The HX cables are compatible with RM, AXi RMi, RMx and new AX series PSUs

I have accumulated a lot of cables from power supplies in the shop.

I have tested pig-tail PCIe cables on power pig video cards, they work fine. I was testing some video cards and my RM650 was able to handle more load than you realize as I then added a second card and it did not choke. It was hot but the chassis has fans galore.

I have come to like Corsair as they can take a licking and keep on ticking.

• Corsair Employees
Hello,

A bit of a complicated issue that I have nailed out to two parts of why I fried two motherboards in span of 24hr hours.

Question:

I had a HX650W power supply and yesterday went out to grab RM1000X. I was trying to hook up 4 GPU's to run and since 1 card (MSI 3080) required 3 8pin connectors I was out of cables and decided to use PCI-E 6 pin connector from my HX650W which I plugged into the peripherals & Sata port on the new RM1000X. After hitting to turn on, it goes on for 1 second and nothing is powered.

Either it's the wrong mix of cables on PSU that fried it or the PCI-E risers as that seems to be a common thing as well from researching online.

I can't find the wiring diagram but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't used my old cable on the new one

Extra details/long story:

Got home, swapped the PSU turned on with one GPU and booted up, proceeded to hook up the remaining 3, turn on for 1 second and died. It woudln't even boot, just turned on for 1 second and off. I left it running like that and eventaully booted up with every boot having a slightly longer running duration. Though no signal on screen, tried every possible solution I could find. Reseting bios, trying different GPU, on board GPU still no picture. I had my old one laying around and swapped back to it so still have a computer to use. Powered it on with single GPU and everything was fine. I for some reason decided to hook up the MSI 3080 with the 3 8PIN first and pulled the cable from old power supply to hook up as my 3rd as if that card worked hooking up the other 2 wouldn't have enough cables. First boot, dead right aways just like the MSI board from last night. First thing I thought is it's the PCIe riser that fried it, though after some researching I think mixing the cables was the problem.

I guess I will go grab a new motherboard and find out tomorrow, hopefully the CPU/GPU is still reuseable and it was just the motherboard that fried.

Hope my story makes sense

If you have the actual HX650W PSU then yes the cables you used are not compatible with the RM1000x you purchased. The HX650W used its own cables and are not the same as Type 3 or Type 4 and that is why you would have damaged your components.

You should ALWAYS use the cables that come with a new PSU unless you are 100% sure and have confirmed the previous cables are compatible. We also maintain a cable compatibility chart that you could have referenced.

• Corsair Employees
The HX cables are compatible with RM, AXi RMi, RMx and new AX series PSUs

I have accumulated a lot of cables from power supplies in the shop.

I have tested pig-tail PCIe cables on power pig video cards, they work fine. I was testing some video cards and my RM650 was able to handle more load than you realize as I then added a second card and it did not choke. It was hot but the chassis has fans galore.

I have come to like Corsair as they can take a licking and keep on ticking.

Please do not provide false information if you have not confirmed the exact PSU. This customer stated to have an HX650W that is not the same as the HX650 or HX650i.