Corsair Community

Need Help: XD3 on 5950x, CPU package temp 75 idle!

Hello, i've built a new PC and i installed the XD3 kit on my CPU, i'm getting high temps between 72-79 on my CPU (Ryzen 5950x) in iCue software when idle, the coolant temp is 34 though, which is weird!

To test that, i ran Cinebench r23 (multi-core) to see the temp when stress-testing the CPU, the CPU temp goes down to 62-65 which is again very weird. Is the Idle temp wrong (software bug)? Or am i missing something here?

That is "normal" Ryzen behaviour unfortunately.

Small load spikes as you see when idle will make the CPU briefly boost frequencies to max, with insane voltages, close to 1.5v on Zen2, i don't know about Zen3, but should be close too. that creates high "Idle" temperatures.

When you properly load the CPU, when gaming or, running Cinebench, it goes up to its normal load frequencies with lower voltages so you actually have a cooler CPU.

You'll have to chase what loads you CPU in idle to get rid of those spikes of CPU usage, and see how low your temperatures are when really idle.

One typical culprit is actually iCUE and the "Corsair service" service.

Check on task manager what's running and try closing those apps to test. you may find your CPU settles in the mid 40, low 50°C which would make more sense.

But your load temperatures look totally fine, so i doubt there's a mounting issue with the CPU block or a cooling problem.

That is "normal" Ryzen behaviour unfortunately.

Small load spikes as you see when idle will make the CPU briefly boost frequencies to max, with insane voltages, close to 1.5v on Zen2, i don't know about Zen3, but should be close too. that creates high "Idle" temperatures.

When you properly load the CPU, when gaming or, running Cinebench, it goes up to its normal load frequencies with lower voltages so you actually have a cooler CPU.

You'll have to chase what loads you CPU in idle to get rid of those spikes of CPU usage, and see how low your temperatures are when really idle.

One typical culprit is actually iCUE and the "Corsair service" service.

Check on task manager what's running and try closing those apps to test. you may find your CPU settles in the mid 40, low 50°C which would make more sense.

But your load temperatures look totally fine, so i doubt there's a mounting issue with the CPU block or a cooling problem.

You were right, i went to task manager and saw a service belongs to "trident rgb software" was putting a constant 5-8% load on the CPU, i removed this software and now the CPU has 55-ish temp which is great.

However, i haven't overclocked the CPU yet and i'm planning to do that once i understand how to do that the right way. If i want to overclock the CPU on all cores, what temps should i get?

• 7 months later...

I had the same issue with 7 QL140mm and a H115i Pro XT and i7 10700k. I fixed it by disabling "Plugins" on iCue settings. After that cpu package temp back to normal.

I hope this be helpful for you too!!

Sem título.png

Sem título1.png

Edited by iSkywallkeri