Corsair Community

New build, no devices recognized

USS_Ustafish

Hi there! I got what seemed like a great deal on an open-box case (220T RGB) at Microcenter. I have torn out so much hair trying to figure out what RGB devices are compatible with what, so I decided to spend a few extra bucks and buy iCue everything to avoid any thinking I might have to do. So here's what I got:

3x SP120 fans (came with the case)

H110i Elite Capellix 240mm

1x SP120 as an exhaust fan.

I removed the RGB controller that came with the case in favor of the one that came with the AIO, because the former has no provision for powering the water pump. I pkugged it into the (one and only!) USB 2.0 header, and installed Windows and iCue. At first startup, iCue recognized only the H110i, but it told me that the firmware needed to be updated. The firmware update failed, and now it doesn't recognize that either. Windows is giving me a notification that the last USB device I plugged in isn't recognized, which I assume is the RGB controller. Updating the driver through device manager gave me bupkis. I uninstalled and reinstalled iCue, and nothing changed.

These fans are cranking away at 100% and it's extremely unpleasant to try to work this problem, even if I had any idea what to do. I'm really glad I spent premium money on this stuff right now. :/

I assume you with RGB controller mean the commander core that came with the AIO?

What mobo do you have?

Note: The commander pro, the cores older brother, is known to be buggy when plugged directly into the mobo. dunno if that applies to the core as well. Workaround is to buy a cheap internal usb hub like this one: https://www.nzxt.com/products/internal-usb-hub

Edited by MADRGB

You've got a few different issues going on.

1) Commander Core failed firmware update - other users have reported difficulties as well. Some users have reported an issue with GA Fusion preventing them from updating, but strong anti-malware software programs could do this as well. Try to minimize the other programs running when you attempt this again. You may need to contact Corsair Support if you can't get this on track.

2) Some X570 boards do have USB recognition issues with Corsair devices. However, if you were in CUE and could see the AIO to update the firmware, then it was recognized and you likely don't need to resort to workarounds at this time.

3) Some of your fans might be locked at 100% if the Commander Core got stuck in its firmware update. However, it is going to do this for half your fans anyway. It is a PWM controller. All those SP-Pro and SP-RGB(?) x 1 fans you bought are DC 3 pin voltage controlled fans. They always will run at 100% on a PWM 12v controller. No workaround for that. You need to move the fan control wire off the Commander and to your motherboard fan headers.

4) RGB lighting - You need to be very clear as to whether you bought all "SP-PRO" fans or if one of them is a "SP-RGB" that is much older. The SP-Pro are a good lighting match to the ML-Elite fans that come with the Elite coolers. They are all 8 center mounted LEDs and will blend together well. The older 2016 SP-RGB will not and it is not going to be compatible with that lighting controller. If you got one of those by mistake, take it back.

Thank you for the responses.

I assume you with RGB controller mean the commander core that came with the AIO?
Yes

What mobo do you have?
ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 (full build in my profile)

1) ...Try to minimize the other programs running when you attempt this again.
This was about an hour old build with a clean install of Windows 10. The only thing I've installed are Windows updates, Chrome, and iCue.

2) ...you likely don't need to resort to workarounds at this time.
So maybe skip the internal USB hub?

3) ...You need to move the fan control wire off the Commander and to your motherboard fan headers.
That makes sense. I had all of the fans plugged into the mobo initially, but I thought I'd just plug them into this fan hub, since it's there anyway. At least that's an easy fix.

4) ...The older 2016 SP-RGB will not and it is not going to be compatible with that lighting controller.
Oh, for crying out loud! All of this was why I went with all one brand of lighting, and got everything with the iCue logo on it. The box says Pro though. I'm just fed up with everything RGB being incompatible with everything else, and apparently even buying all Corsair iCue parts isn't the solution either? This crap needs to be standardized! Of course, even if that happened, they'd make a completely new standard that isn't compatible with anything on the market currently. 😄

Sooo... Anybody have any ideas?

Only what I already suggested, based on my experiences with various issues with C-Pro being solved by using an internal USB hub. Buy one and connect that to the mobo and plug the aio and c-core into two different ports on the usb hub.

Solved the following issues for me:

Cpro not being recognized in windows.

Cpro usb hub function not working.

Edited by MADRGB

There absolutely is an issue for some X570 owners with USB detection. It seems especially problematic for the Commander Pro and Platinum/XT coolers. The Commander Core is a new device and perhaps they were able to adjust it for whatever AMD changed. I have not seen the complaints on the Elite coolers (Commander Core) like the other devices. If the Commander Core/AIO pump was detected originally, but not after the failed firmware update, it stands to reason the firmware is responsible and that is a normal consequence of a botched firmware update. Users with the USB/X570 issue usually report frequent drops in/out every 30 seconds or possibly never detected at all. You must have been detected to attempt the firmware update and I suspect you would have noticed if it was disappearing/reappearing in CUE twice per minute. A USB hub may have value to you, but I don't think it is the cause of the current state of affairs.

If all your new fans are SP-Pro, you will be fine. Those are all a perfect lighting match for the Elite ML fans that come with the cooler. The only problem is they are all DC 3 pin and the Commander Core is PWM only. You will want them on the MB for speed control.

Only what I already suggested, based on my experiences with various issues with C-Pro being solved by using an internal USB hub. Buy one and connect that to the mobo and plug the aio and c-core into two different ports on the usb hub.
I'll give the USB hub thing a shot, but I must not be understanding something here. I only have one device with a USB connector, and that's the RGB controller (Commander... Core? Pro? IDK, I can't find anything anywhere on the device, packaging, included literature, or manufacturer website that identifies it so I will take your word for it.) The AIO has a single proprietary connector that plugs into the Commander xxx. All of the fans have proprietary connectors that plug into the same device. That device has one USB mobo connector. So I'm getting a USB hub to plug one device into a single header? I don't understand how that changes anything, but I'm pretty desperate.

...A USB hub may have value to you, but I don't think it is the cause of the current state of affairs.
Just shoot me now, please. I'll give it a shot anyway, just to rule it in/out. Seems like a voodoo solution to me, but if it's somehow working for someone, I'll give it a shot.

If all your new fans are SP-Pro, you will be fine. Those are all a perfect lighting match for the Elite ML fans that come with the cooler. The only problem is they are all DC 3 pin and the Commander Core is PWM only. You will want them on the MB for speed control.
Yeah, they're SP-Pro. They still don't work though. 😄 I actually had all of the fans plugged into the mobo initially, and I decided I could save a couple bucks on splitters if I just used that handy, included fan hub. 😉 I've already decided to go back to the mobo with the fans, so we're good there. I appreciate it.

Without being overly technical (and a lot is unknown proprietary stuff), there is not just one USB 2.0 spec. AMD changed something with their X570 motherboard and it has a fit trying to communicate with certain Corsair devices whereas prior AMD boards did not have this issue. The powered USB hub acts like a translator, able to talk both languages. It can understand the Corsair communication and it can understand the X570 chipset protocols. Typically this works better with powered USB 2 hubs. If you get some simple extension, there isn't an active component and it's just a passthrough. That likely won't work.

The Elite coolers route their pump, power, control, and data through that Commander Core device. If it is not present in CUE, then you have no control. Unclear what the fans are doing without a control source. Probably were steady at the last known speed, but once you restart they probably went to 100% on the fan check at power up and stayed there. That is a permanent state for the DC fans, but the ML-Elites will work on that device once it become functional again.

Edited by c-attack

If you get some simple extension, there isn't an active component and it's just a passthrough. That likely won't work.
I'm glad I checked back on this thread before I clicked the checkout now button. I had a passive splitter in my Amazon cart, which I couldn't understand how it was going to help. It makes a little more sense though, that one with additional power is at least doing something beyond just adding a little more wire to the equation.

Well, I bought a powered USB hub and plugged it all in. iCue recognized the Elite Capellix controller, and what I didn't realize last time was that all of the fans are listed under that one device. I started changing lighting effects, and everything was working great... For a couple minutes. Suddenly all of the fans went dark. I went back to the lighting setup menu and it would light 1 LED on each fan to identify them, but none of the lighting effects worked. I thought I'd try updating the firmware, which it was still telling me was out of date. The update failed, I got the windows error message telling me that the last USB device I plugged in was not recognized, and all of the fans went to 100% again (I still haven't plugged them into PWM headers, but I intend to do that if and when I ever get this figured out.)

So I'm right back where I was when I started this thread.

Without being overly technical (and a lot is unknown proprietary stuff), there is not just one USB 2.0 spec. AMD changed something with their X570 motherboard and it has a fit trying to communicate with certain Corsair devices whereas prior AMD boards did not have this issue. The powered USB hub acts like a translator, able to talk both languages. It can understand the Corsair communication and it can understand the X570 chipset protocols. Typically this works better with powered USB 2 hubs. If you get some simple extension, there isn't an active component and it's just a passthrough. That likely won't work.

The Nzxt one I linked to is not a passthrough but is recognized in Win10 as a controller. Which is why it is used and usually solves Cpro usb host recog errors.