Corsair Community

4x1024 or 2x 2twinx1024?

viper_be

I am running on a Asus P4C800 deluxe board, and currently am running without problems using a twinx512 set.

I want to buy new RAM and I know the old ones will not work with the new ones, I got that confirmed earlier.

What I do wonder:

I can buy 4gig in

4 X CORSAIR XMS 1024Mo PC3200

OR

2 X CORSAIR Twinx XMS 2x1024Mo PC3200

What is the added value of the twinx compared to the single 1gig ones ? As the Twinx are a damn side more expensive. (656euro compared to 960euro for 4gig)

The TwinX sticks are hand tested as a matched pair to guarantee compatibility in dual channel MOBOs. They are technically the same as any equivalent stick not sold in a TwinX pair. However, with the added testing, Corsair guarantees that the TwinX pair will run as advertised in a dual channel MOBO. If you buy the sticks seperately Corsair does not make this guarantee.

In the US the TwinX kits are typically priced within $5-$10 US of 2 seperate sticks. In many cases, I have even seen a TwinX pair cheaper than 2 seperate sticks. I'd check around your vendors. The price difference should not be so significant.

FWIW, I have tested my P4C800 machines with 4 sticks. They do well with the PC3200 XL, 2 TwinX 1024mb kits. The PC4000 Pro is equally good with 4 sticks.

Mike.

• Corsair Employee
Yes, but you may not be able to run them at Cass 2 with all four modules installed and with this chipset you will not see the whole 4.0 Gig of Ram. I would not suggest more than one set of modules for best performance.

Yes, but you may not be able to run them at Cass 2 with all four modules installed and with this chipset you will not see the whole 4.0 Gig of Ram. I would not suggest more than one set of modules for best performance.

I need the 4gig... what modules would you suggest(think budget, not perf as long as they work I'm happy) ?

Archived