Corsair Community

Having a lot of trouble getting RGB Lighting to work correctly in iCue

CFIChrisFlies

Hello everyone,

I just recently built around a new case (Lian Li OD11 XL). It all looks great, tucked my wires etc. I turn it on and all 10 fans are working...nice. I have a h150i capellix up top and I switched the fans for ql120s, and then there are 7 other ql120s around the case.

Here's the issue...I've read and read and just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong in iCue. All 10 fans light up but I have total control of 6 of the fans (the 3 on the rad and 3 on the side), but the bottom 3 fans and the back exhaust fan I have no functional control over.

Here's how I set it up...the Capellix came with a core, so the fans on there are jumped into that. Then, I have a commander pro with the 4 remaining fans plugged in and the RGB hub that came with the ql 120s has 4 slots filled by the rgb wires coming off of those same fans. The RGB hub is plugged into SATA power and a USB port on the mobo. The commander pro also has SATA power plugged in and functional as well. I'm not sure if I installed something wrong or if I just am totally lost in the software. Like I said, all 10 fans are lit up, but the 3 bottom fans and rear exhaust fans are stuck on the default rainbow mode and I can't seem to find a way to match them up with the other 6.

Thanks for any help, I am definitely a little out of my element here.

Chris

Each device acts separately and only can control what is physically connected to it. You must set lighting or speed controls for each device. This means the 6 fans on the Com Core will act like a different lighting group compared to the 4 on the LN Core.

Commander Core (should show AIO pump head picture in CUE) - Speed control for the fans connected to the PWM side. RGB lighting control for any fans connected to the other side.

Commander Pro - Speed control only for the remaining 4 fans.

Lighting Node Core (this is what came with the QL multi-packs) - RGB control for the 4 QL connected to it. Must be in slots 1-4.

Each of these will appear as a separate device in CUE. Check to see if the Lighting Node Core is visible at the top. Each device requires a SATA connector for power and a USB 2 connection back to the motherboard so it can communicate with the software. The USB passthroughs on the Commander are just that and not a port into the Commander Pro's functionality.

Edited by c-attack

Each devices acts separately and only can control what is physically connected to it. You must set lighting or speed controls for each device. This means the 6 fans on the Com Core will act like a different lighting group compared to the 4 on the LN Core.

Commander Core (should show AIO pump head picture in CUE) - Speed control for the fans connected to the PWM side. RGB lighting control for any fans connected to the other side.

Commander Pro - Speed control only for the remaining 4 fans.

Lighting Node Core (this is what came with the QL multi-packs) - RGB control for the 4 QL connected to it. Must be in slots 1-4.

Each of these will appear as a separate device in CUE. Check to see if the Lighting Node Core is visible at the top. Each device requires a SATA connector for power and a USB 2 connection back to the motherboard so it can communicate with the software. The USB passthroughs on the Commander are just that and not a port into the Commander Pro's functionality.

Thanks, I’ll dig into it and post screenshots once I get home from work. I guess one thing I may have said incorrectly is something I might need to fix.

the RGB hub is plugged in to one of the two USB ports on the commander pro… the commander pro USB is plugged in to the mobo. The core is to one USB header on the mobo, the commander pro to the other usb header on the mobo, the RGB hub to the usb port on the commander

It seemed no matter what I did on iCue, I could only change the rad fans and the 3 fans on the side... nothing would change on the bottom 3 or exhaust, they’d just stay in the default rainbow pattern. Either way, I’ll get home and post screenshots.

Edited by CFIChrisFlies

the RGB hub is plugged in to one of the two USB ports on the commander pro…

That is one of the Lighting Node Cores. The name terminology is confusing at best, but the difference between a Lighting Node Core and RGB Lighting Hub is important. RGB Hubs connect to the RGB Channels on the Commander Pro or Lighting Node Pro (controller) and supply the necessary supplemental 5v current to make the lights go for fans. All "Core" devices are standalone units with power and controller in one box, but for fans only.

It seemed no matter what I did on iCue, I could only change the rad fans and the 3 fans on the side... nothing would change on the bottom 3 or exhaust, they’d just stay in the default rainbow pattern. Either way, I’ll get home and post screenshots.

For a quick check, you can always use Instant Lighting from the top drop down menu. If the fans don't change, that likely means the controller is not detected in CUE. Obviously you need it to be there so you can adjust the lighting for that group.

Take a look at the FAQ here. It has a lot of pictures to put names to parts.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

To follow up, here are some screenshots of my current view in iCUE.

When I use the instant lighting mode, it works on the Capellix channel and changes the color to whatever I choose. When I select the commander pro, and then toggle the instant lighting settings it still changes those same 6 fans. All of the other fans stay in the rainbow pattern which I assume is the default. All fans in the case look great, I just can't get them to match lol

Also, just want to confirm that all fans are plugged in in the correct order

c-attack...want to thank you by the way. You're very patient :)

1241555678_icueissue.png.18e074a1993255cbcf86738961d8841f.png

1116950010_icueissue2.thumb.png.bf04ff7f398c711f298294a71dbcfa41.png

Edited by CFIChrisFlies

So the problem is the Lighting Node Core that is powering/controlling the 4 QL set is not detected in CUE. It should be at the top of the app. Only the Commander Core (AIO pump picture) and Commander Pro are there. There should be an additional device.

1) Double check the LN Core's USB 2 connection to the Commander Pro. Those pins are really hard to see in there and it is exceptionally easy to shift the connector over a row and misalign.

2) Z370 MBs do not generally have USB detection issues with Corsair gear. Open up the device manager (Windows button, right click) and see if there is yellow triangle in the USB section at the bottom.

3) For the moment, try connecting the LN Core to the MB directly. You probably need to remove the Commander Pro momentarily. The fans will ramp up.