Corsair Community

680x clearance

SabotaZ

Hey. Im planning to build a rig, hopefully in the next 2-3 months, that I will be able to get my hands on one of those new cards on a reasonable price. So my initial plan looks like this:

- 680x case

- Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix front

- 2x Corsair QL140 top

- 3x LL120 bottom/rear that are included with the case

First issue is these top fans that do not fit with a 360 radiator but a YT vid shows I can mount them kind of above the case, right below the glass. Not the optimal but will do.

Here comes the real problem.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Crystal-Series-680X-RGB-High-Airflow-Tempered-Glass-ATX-Smart-Case/p/CC-9011169-WW#tab-tech-specs It states the gpu clearance is 330mm. There are lots of people (mostly on reddit), asking if that clearance is with or without the fans the case comes with.

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199959 a corsair employee says its 330-27radiator-25fan=278mm that contradicts what other people say. So, is the clearance 330 (which would make more sense since fans are pre-installed) or 305?

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=38546&d=1593734635 This is the build of another user on the forum. EVGA 1080 is 266.7mm and radiator+fans is another ~50mm that makes it 319mm so I would believe it is 330 with fans installed BUT... the card is vertically mounted and some reddit user said somewhere that you earn another 12mm if you do it that way.

TLDR: Can I put a H150i Elite Capellix in the front side of a 680x and fit an Asus TUF RX6800XT (31 x 14.02 x 5.78 Centimeter) in there, preferably vertically? GPU is 2.9 slots, would the side window close?

330mm includes “25mm fans”. You need to use 30mm for the radiator that is the outer shell thickness. That leaves you with 300mm to work with. I ran into the same issue a while back and too casually purchased a 305mm GPU. It did not work and I was forced into a top and bottom radiator config to make it work. Ready for a new version of this case that is slightly longer to accommodate a 360mm top and bottom and what are now rather long GPUs.

Watch out with all the different RGB fan types. You are going to get yourself in a bind with three different types. ML elite are 8 LEDs, LL 16, and QL an odd 34 that act like a double sided LL. That’s going to be difficult to work with. With 8 fans you will need 2 controllers anyway, but the QL would need to be on their own circuit while pairing the ML-Elite and LL (8/16 greatest common multiple).

I did study Zotty's RGB mega FAQ https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880&t=173880 and I believe its doable. h150i comes with a commander core (6pwm-6rgb slots) that I will plug the 3 fans from the radiator and the other 3 that come with the case. Case on the other hand comes with a Lighting Node Pro and a RGB Fan LED Hub that I could use just for the 2 QL140 so I will probably wont even need a commander pro with the only drawback being no rpm control over the 2 QL. MB is going to be asus x570-e that comes with 2 x USB 3.2 Gen 1, 4 x USB 2.0 (and an additional 1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 for the front panel) so no lack of usbs either. Please correct me if Im wrong.

Btw this is the reddit thread i was talking about

Top post says vertical mount gave him another 12mm. If thats true 31cm gpu is an option with a 0.5cm gap till radiator Edited by SabotaZ

if it physically fits, your main concern will be cooling, with a 3 slot GPU, there may not be enough breathing room for those fans.

In general it's a veeeery bad idea to vertically mount an air cooled GPU this way, but the 680X has its glass door farther than typical cases have their panel, so it may work well. just be aware that it may not be stellar. only testing will tell :)

Also, the motherboard obviously doesn't support the GPU when mounted vertically, you may want to start looking at how to support the back of the card because these beasties will sag.

Me, an Owner of an 680X, I have a 360mm Rad in the front but the tubes don't clear the top fans so you have to rotate the Rad so that the tubes are on the bottom, As Gamer Nexus also said its better to have the rad like that.

For the GPU Clearance you have 305mm Of clearance (From The GPU Bracket to The Rad if you want to use with radiator, but if mounted vertically you can maybe get 310mm Clearance, rad is 55mm Wide with fans)

Without Rad you have a clearance Of 330mm - 25mm from rad = 305mm of Clearance

And Yes you can get some clearance from vertically installing the GPU

I guess you couldnt fit your gpu normally but you can fit it vertically.

( All the measures where taken by me for your answers )

if it physically fits, your main concern will be cooling, with a 3 slot GPU, there may not be enough breathing room for those fans.

In general it's a veeeery bad idea to vertically mount an air cooled GPU this way, but the 680X has its glass door farther than typical cases have their panel, so it may work well. just be aware that it may not be stellar. only testing will tell :)

Also, the motherboard obviously doesn't support the GPU when mounted vertically, you may want to start looking at how to support the back of the card because these beasties will sag.

I also have concerns about gpu's thermals but I want to believe there will be more info available as we get to the date I will be able to get one of those cards. Support wise, I was thinking about either cm's universal vertical gpu holder or some small toy like a little superman, right at the card's edge that would support the card and give the inside of the case a different look.

Me, an Owner of an 680X, I have a 360mm Rad in the front but the tubes don't clear the top fans so you have to rotate the Rad so that the tubes are on the bottom, As Gamer Nexus also said its better to have the rad like that.

For the GPU Clearance you have 305mm Of clearance (From The GPU Bracket to The Rad if you want to use with radiator, but if mounted vertically you can maybe get 310mm Clearance, rad is 55mm Wide with fans)

Without Rad you have a clearance Of 330mm - 25mm from rad = 305mm of Clearance

And Yes you can get some clearance from vertically installing the GPU

I guess you couldnt fit your gpu normally but you can fit it vertically.

( All the measures where taken by me for your answers )

Good points but im not sure im following you on this part "Without Rad you have a clearance Of 330mm - 25mm from rad = 305mm of Clearance".

https://images.guru/i/dL2R8 - https://images.guru/i/dL7FW This is another build I saw in a 680x. AIO is iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT and GPU is EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid that according to the specs is 288.9 mm in length (2 slots width). The radiator has push-pull configuration that means, based on how tight it looks, 288.9+27+25 = 340.9mm ~341mm is the absolute max clearance someone could vertically mount his card in a 680x coming out of the box.

For the above calculations I included only 1 trio set of fans, since the other set is included in case's specs and used 25mm for fans and 27mm for the radiator out of corsair's site of the product

Good points but im not sure im following you on this part "Without Rad you have a clearance Of 330mm - 25mm from rad = 305mm of Clearance".

https://images.guru/i/dL2R8 - https://images.guru/i/dL7FW This is another build I saw in a 680x. AIO is iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT and GPU is EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid that according to the specs is 288.9 mm in length (2 slots width). The radiator has push-pull configuration that means, based on how tight it looks, 288.9+27+25 = 340.9mm ~341mm is the absolute max clearance someone could vertically mount his card in a 680x coming out of the box.

For the above calculations I included only 1 trio set of fans, since the other set is included in case's specs and used 25mm for fans and 27mm for the radiator out of corsair's site of the product

Okay, so these are all the lengths and clearings

Normal mounted ( Not Vertical )

Bracket -> Front of the case ( No fans or Radiator )

360mm +-

Bracket -> Fans ( Only Front Fans Installed, No Rad )

330mm

Bracket -> Rad+Fans ( Fans and Rad installed, only 1 side of fans )

300mm

Vertically Mounted mounte

Bracket -> Front of the case ( No fans or Radiator )

370mm +-

Bracket -> Fans ( Only Front Fans Installed, No Rad )

350mm

Bracket -> Rad+Fans ( Fans and Rad installed, only 1 side of fans )

320mm

By Vertically Mounting the GPU you can gain Some space

( Disclaimer: i used Corsair LL120 Fans and Corsair H150I PRO XT360mm With Sizes )

Here is a Picture Form from the case itself for better comprehension

https://imgur.com/a/xKc3KyD

And my Gpu length is 240mm for a reference in the picture

Edited by KingAmnesia

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Hi Bjørn,

The cooler on that card is a triple slot cooler, so I would advise against putting it in the vertical mount. It will fit in normal mode, but only with the fans off the front panel.

You would probably be better off with our 4000D airflow model instead (also in normal mounting - not vertical)