Corsair Community

XMS3200LL rev 1.2

Lupo

My configuration is barton 2600+@2200mhz 2*256 Corsair xms 3200LL rev 1.2 asus a7n8x rev 2. I bought the corsair twinx kit recently and i was very disappointed to see afterwards that rev 1.2 is based on winbond ch5 chips instead of windond bh5 chips for rev 1.1. It's impossible to get a stable configuration with good timings when overclocking at 210 or 215 mhz. What are the best timings and speed combinations at 2,8v ? thanks

With that voltage I would suggest 2,3,3,6 timings if you have a TwinX pair of DIMMs. If they won't run at those timings, see what they will do at SPD with all performance enhancement options. If you are still not stable, use [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] Test each stick individually and for a minimum of 32 passes with the timings and setup defaults. Also, turn off any performance enhancement options. Mike.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lupo [/i] [B]My configuration is stable at 200 mhz with 2-2-3-5 timings. [/B][/QUOTE] If you are stable at those timings, I would not touch it then. I actually gave you conservative timings as I assumed (incorrectly I see) that you were having issues. Regardless of the ICs used, you have great timings. If you want to try to get more from your system, look around this forum and find a sticky posted in either the General or Compatibility sections, called "ALL N-FORCE OWNERS READ THIS". There are some good tips on the getting performance from those MOBOs. Good luck and have fun. Mike

• 4 weeks later...
I'm running it at 267 FSB, 5:4 (213.5 MHz) at 2.70 V. Have tried to play around with the Vdimm (2.55V to 2.85V) but the most stable voltage for my RAM is at 2.70V. Ram timming is set at 2-3-2-5-8 Running 2 X P95 for over 30 hrs with no problem whatsoever. My CPU Vcore is set to 1.6V. [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lupo [/i] [B]My configuration is barton 2600+@2200mhz 2*256 Corsair xms 3200LL rev 1.2 asus a7n8x rev 2. I bought the corsair twinx kit recently and i was very disappointed to see afterwards that rev 1.2 is based on winbond ch5 chips instead of windond bh5 chips for rev 1.1. It's impossible to get a stable configuration with good timings when overclocking at 210 or 215 mhz. What are the best timings and speed combinations at 2,8v ? thanks [/B][/QUOTE]

• 3 weeks later...
check my sig for config. more than 2.6 vdimm only hurt, and made the ram chips i have act wierd and performance was degraded as well. i just ordered these last friday, and got em this monday. so they must be a newer revision. i think there might be a voltage regulator on the IC as well. ramguy should be able to shed more light on it. i have read reviews from this year on LL series where they needed 2.8 for overclocking this high. i may have a bit more room if i drop to cl2.5, but im going to hang out on cl2 for a few weeks. dont think ill get too much farther though, without some volt mod giving the board more then 1.6v of juice. ive always ran cl2.5 till now (pc2700 @ ddr 398) and it lagged ever so slightly here and there. want to experience cl2 response times, haha. im getting close to 3400mb/s (~3369-3398) with those timings. stable as a rock (16+ hours prime95). good luck with your OC, hope my config helps you. pershoot.

• Corsair Employees
Honestly I have not had to run my Dim Voltage above 2.7 Volts with most MB's. But if you have Revision 1.2 of our module they are based on -5 Rev C IC's and would have a voltage regulator in the IC. So if this caused a problem adding memory voltage to the memory. it may have been the chipset as it shares the same power source.

hey, so I recently bought the Twinx-512 3200LLPT (still have to send in my 3200C2 for RMA) and it posts and works fine at stock speeds and voltage, but I see above RAMGUY posted that the rev 1.2s (which I have) have a voltage regulator IC in them. Does this mean that they will internally regulate their voltage to remain at stock levels? If so, that kinda sucks. I mean, I'm sure that almost everyone who buys corsair buys it because they intend to OC it, and to not even be able to overvolt to 2.8 (which is still within warranty range as far as I know) keeps us from seeing if it will do anything beyond stock that it won't do at minimum stock voltage. Which kinda defeates the purpose of getting the corsair; i mean there are PLENTY of manufacturers/rebranders out there selling memory that will do 2-3-3-6 at DDR400, and sure, this 3200LL does 2-3-2-6, but that's only good for about 5-10mb/s more, which is unnoticable. So, the best i have been able to get out of this 3200LL is about 216. 217 and higher all freeze in memtest, no errors, the clock just stops counting around 5:08-5:11 (in test 5). But prime95 returns errors at ANYTHING above stock speed, and does so almost instantaneously. I've tested each stick separately and in every slot configuration i can think of, and still, no go. Sure, the sticks do what they are supposed to, but they'll do NOTHING more and that's kinda disappointing. Why pay a premium for premium memory if there's memory out for 2/3 the price that will do just as much or more? I'd love any info on the voltage thing, or any suggestions from people who have these sticks running well on how i can get mine there. All in all, i gotta say, these past few weeks have kinda turned me off on corsair, and i used to be a big fan.

for the price i picked up my llpt's for, they are performing amazingly. sure, i could have picked up some mushkin black II, but they are really expensive right now. i cant justify paying all that money just for tighter timings at higher FSB speeds, and me gaining possibly just 50mb/s more. definitely not worth it in my book. it is always best to use as little voltage as possible. i have never heard of anyone saying that they loved juicing their components unnecessarily. if the ram can go far without the need for juice, thats even better then the competition in my book, weighed out with price. i would relax your timings and you will get very far with the ram you have at cl2 response times. my ram is running faster than pc3500 speeds right now (sandra 2003 - int:3392, float:3157). start out at 2.6 vdimm, and only if you feel you need it, then go up by .1. i also hit a roadblock, and tore my hair out until i dropped my voltage to stock on the ram. formula i use: (tRP + tRCD) + 4 = tRAS best performance when tRCD is +1 from tRP with the specific ram i have. good luck.

JimmyPage summed up my disappointment with corsair pretty well. I paid a fairly large premium for a twinx 1024-3200ll set only to find its really no different (and in some cases worse) than generic memory I could have got for 50% less. IMO, it dont matter how helpful RAM Guy is (he is helpful and knowledgable and I almost feel bad complaining since this somewhat shady marketing was likely not his idea), pulling the wool over customers eyes and charging a premium for an inferior product once you've made a name for yourselves is not the way to keep me as a repeat customer. This new 3200ll has absolutely no wiggle room (timings or fsb wise) and 2-3-2-6 isnt even that great. It'd be harder to find pc3200 that wouldnt do 2-3-2-6 than stuff that would. I guess corsair figured they could just change everything in mid-stream once they got enough glowing reviews out there and soak it to a few rubes before the masses caught on. Worked in my case too but I'll be damned if its gonna work twice. I feel a bit better now that Ive vented but it wont mean much when Im shelling out another $450 (Can) for some decent memory that wont be kneecapping my system. Any bets on what brand my new memory wont be?

• Corsair Employees
Well I am sorry that you are not happy and I have no problem replacing your modules if you like. But honestly it's not us that did this on our own. Winbond made the change at the first of the year and we were forced to change to Rev C of the -5 IC which is JEDEC Compliant. And JEDEC DDR400 Spec calls for VR in the IC. But that’s not to say the Rev C IC will not over clock because they will. But if you want a memory module with that IC I would look for XMS3500C2 as that’s still made with this IC. But honestly I don’t know for how much longer as Winbond stopped all production in September and the IC's are getting hard to find.

As I said before, you seem like a nice guy Mr. RAM and I thank you for your concern. I really dont think different 3200ll's (unless you have the v1.1's kicking around :)) would help me though since the ones I got do run at 2-3-2-6. My problem is just that I got the wrong ram and based my decision off reviews that were no longer accurate. My fault for not digging deeper/paging through hardware forums as much as yours for changing specs and keeping the same part number I guess (I know companies say they have the right to change specs without notice but I think its at least slightly dishonest when the difference is as great as between the bh5 and ch5 3200ll's). If I had it all to do over again I would have went with 3500c2 as you suggest since its very near the same price here. Trouble is I cant justify spending another $450 for at least a month or two. I guess I just gotta chalk it up as a lesson learned.

I also am starting to get dissappointed, and wished I had never recieved these rev 1.2's that I have. I assumed there would be BH-5 in them, but I recieved CH-5. I had no idea they were moved over to a different production line. I did pay a good chunk of change for them, where I could have held off, as it wasnt really a rush for me. I just saw so much praise over BH-5 and these modules, and I knew I could bring my machine the distance paired with my parts. I tried to make the best of the situation. They will overclock yes, but there seems to be no flexibility with them whatsoever, in timings, etc.. It also wont operate at CL2.5T or CL3T (if you wanted to go a bit further). The looser timings on cl2t, and the performance fluctuates. For the timings im on now, i could have bought cheaper ram and juiced them to tame them. The tightest youll get on them is CL2T, 2-3-6. Yes that is advertised, and no guarantees, but this is supposed to be overclocking ram. Let's not kid ourselves. It's marketed that way in a subtle tone. XMS, extreme performance. If only there wasnt a VR in it, then it can be tamed. And that's the reason to buy expensive ram, so you can bring it the distance, have some tighter timings and not have to worry about givin a bit more juice to help the cause. It simply will not operate past 2.6v. Maybe you guys should put CH-5 chips on the spec sheet. I don't know. If I would have known, I would not have purchased these. This is also after I gave the modules praise, when I first recieved them, and I figured they needed time to burn in. Oh well what can I do now. You win some, you lose some. pershoot.

• Corsair Employees
DDR445 is nothing to shake a stick at! But I have no problem replacing your modules if you are not happy, but honestly the modules you have are running way above advertised spec. So I will leave that to you. But the modules you get may not run as well as what you have.

• 2 weeks later...
I must say, I too felt let down. Although I didn't get the LL, I still assumed that XMS would be BH5 and maybe the value select would be ch5. NewEgg said that they aren't sure if they can get rev. 1.1 (BH5) to swap out for me. Guess it's more about being jedec compliant than satisfying corsair buyers...90% of whom buy XMS just for overclocking. Ram Guy...is rev. 1.1 still being made? If so...is it available in TwinX512 3200C2?

From earlier in this thread, a quote from RAM GUY Well I am sorry that you are not happy and I have no problem replacing your modules if you like. But honestly it's not us that did this on our own. Winbond made the change at the first of the year and we were forced to change to Rev C of the -5 IC which is JEDEC Compliant. And JEDEC DDR400 Spec calls for VR in the IC. But that’s not to say the Rev C IC will not over clock because they will. But if you want a memory module with that IC I would look for XMS3500C2 as that’s still made with this IC. But honestly I don’t know for how much longer as Winbond stopped all production in September and the IC's are getting hard to find.

Archived