Corsair Community

Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless does not work at all

Disclaimer:

• contains traces of rant and anger because I'm super frustrated right now

Background:

• Was using a 50 bucks SoundBlaster Tactic3D Rage (also wireless) for several years without problems
  • Sadly, it is slowly dying to old age now
  • Bought the Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless for 200 bucks because it seems to be the only option on the market with a good microphone
  • Can hardly afford it, but whatever, let's get some quality equipment for once!

My setup:

• Double boot with Windows 10 Pro and Debian Linux
  • Hence, I want to operate this without any special software

Situation in Windows:

• To let the battery charge, I decided to start in wired mode, so I plugged the USB cable in
  • Windows detects the Headset, but I don't get any sound
  • Ran Audio Troubleshooter; it recommends to reboot
  • After reboot, I get a "Not enough USB controller resources" error
  • Tried installing iCue (1.2 GB, what the actual #!%$), firmware is up-to-date, nothing changes, no sound
  • Tried plugging in the USB dongle, to see if it will work in Wireless mode, but get the "Not enough USB controller resources" right away

Situation in Linux:

• Can't even boot, booting hangs with an endless amount of "usb_set_interface failed (-28)" messages

Summary (contains rant):

• 200 euro headset fails to operate at all, wired or wireless, and even prevents Linux from booting (quite the feat)
  • At the same time, on the very same machine, the old 50 bucks headset just works without any issues
  • "Let's treat myself to some premium quality product for once, it is Christmas after all" - *instant regret*

Update:

• If I do not connect the USB cable, ignore the error when plugging in the USB dongle and operate in wireless mode, then I actually get sound
  • In other words, it seems that everything breaks if I plug the headset in via USB, but purely wireless kind of works in Windows
  • Booting into Linux with the headset not plugged in (but the dongle plugged in) works, but makes my mouse be super fast and renders me impossible to adjust the mouse speed (!?)

Of course, I already opened a ticket. But my experience with customer support at other companies tells me that I better reach out to the community right away, as well.

Any advice is highly appreciated. I feel like sending it back, but I really want this to work, because there is currently no viable alternative if a decent microphone is desired.

Edited by domsson

Usually that error seems to pop up when you have too many endpoint connexions to that USB port.

Can you try connecting to an USB2 port?

Right now you seem to be hitting a hardware limitation, like you may have a hub connected to the same USB controller with other devices, and the headset just can't get enough resources to work.

USB2 has a higher endpoint limit so it should work there. You don't need high bandwidth for a headset anyway.

• Confused 1

Usually that error seems to pop up when you have too many endpoint connexions to that USB port.

Can you try connecting to an USB2 port?

Right now you seem to be hitting a hardware limitation, like you may have a hub connected to the same USB controller with other devices, and the headset just can't get enough resources to work.

USB2 has a higher endpoint limit so it should work there. You don't need high bandwidth for a headset anyway.

Thank you very much, LeDoyen, that helps and sheds some light!

My current (original) setup, which yields the above issues, was as follows:

• Monitor's two port USB hub is connected to PC's USB 3.0 port
  • Tenkey pad and Headset are plugged into Monitor's USB hub
  • Headset's wireless dongle is in PC's front USB 3.0 port

Now, I've just tried the following:

• Plugging the USB hub into a USB 2.0 port instead - no changes, doesn't work
  • Unplug the Tenkey pad, leaving the headset as only device on the hub - this works (both on USB 2.0 and 3.0)

So, now my question is:

• Why can the Virtuoso not operate alongside the Tenkey, when all my previous headsets (3 of them) worked flawlessly in the same configuration?
  • Or, rephrased, why does the Virtuoso needs this many USB resources, creating these issues?

Edited by domsson

Maybe because the others were bluetooth?

the Virtuoso is slipstream (basically uses Wifi frequencies). it's a totally different controller, so i guess they can't really compare.

From what i have red, even USB hubs take some of these endpoints even when nothing is connected to them.

It's pretty new to me, i learned about that while googling your issue. I guess only Corsair can answer that in detail, but in the end they are not going to change the hardware, so better make do with what you have :)

And since it's not bluetooth anymore, you don't need the dongle to be that close to you so it can stay at the back of the computer.

When i got my Logitech headset i did tests, with my experience of bluetooth headsets in mind.. was able to hold a conversation in my garden with the PC at the first floor.

So don't bother with a hub to have the dongle 1m closer

• 5 months later...

i've run into this too. what's infuriating, (I have corsair keyboard, mouse, virtuoso rgb headset)... is that if I plug the 3 into a hub... ALWAYS one brings up this error. yet if I plug them into MOBO... works fine.

i've tried multiple hubs. and multiple computers... always same. it's these devices specifically. I even tried with no OTHER devices connected... just a hub and these 3. same error.