Corsair Community

Coil Whine and extreme buzzing on HX1000 under GPU load

First of all sry for my bad english, but its not my first language, and secondly I am new to the Corsair Forum, because I would rly need some help and your opinions.

Over the last three months I built a new personal system, with the help of a friend who has done dozens of systems and knows what he does.

It took that long ..... you know it all ..... GPUS and AMDs new Ryzens are hard to get.

Since the system is finished now for app. 2 weeks, finetuning some settings doing different stress tests, benchmarks, gaming and a little overclocking, the only major problem left is my PSU.

After taking apart my PC several times and trying to find the noise problem, trying to put the GPU horizontal again, trying different riser cables, different PSU cables and many other things,

its still the same annoying and especialy under load extreme loud sound, I cant stand it anymore and hope somebody here can help me.

The video is made with the phone, so in reality the sound is like 2-3 times as loud as in the video, but hopefuly you all can still here it and get an understanding.

In the beginning and at the end of the video you should be able to hear the coilwhine alone, which is the sound under idle conditions.

If the PC has the back turned to me and is 2-3 feet away from my head, I can hear the "silent" coilwhine and its allready a little disturbing.

In the middle part I start Heaven, only to get some load on the GPU - like 50% workload all settings on low in heaven, nothing special, and you can clearly hear the loud and annoying "buzzing" sound.

Even when my GPU fans are up to 90 or 100 percent, this buzz is way louder then anything else in the system, and you can hear it 2 rooms away, like 30-35 feet its still annoying.

My wife is on home office and sits 2 rooms away and its only ok for her to work if I close both doors in between !

I bought the PSU from amazon.de and it could be hard for me to get it to corsair from here, but I dont think thats the way this PSU should work, or am I wrong ?

Here is the youtube link to my video, because I dont know how to upload it directly ................

[ame]

[/ame]

Thanks in advance for any help, opinions or ideas,

Nagash

I had this exact same problem with a RM1000X. It was so loud I could hear it across the house.

Ended up RMAing the unit to the place I bought it from, and they almost immediately refunded without question. Makes me wonder how many of these they've had.

Edit: If you happen to have a spare PC or spare parts, check if it still makes the noise. (Mine did). Then it may be best to RMA the unit?

Edited by james3126
Gave a possible suggestion

I had this exact same problem with a RM1000X. It was so loud I could hear it across the house.

Ended up RMAing the unit to the place I bought it from, and they almost immediately refunded without question. Makes me wonder how many of these they've had.

Edit: If you happen to have a spare PC or spare parts, check if it still makes the noise. (Mine did). Then it may be best to RMA the unit?

Thanks for your answer, its at least nice to hear I am not the only one !

As I wrote above, I am not sure Amazon will take it back that easy, because I bought it like 2 months ago - I didnt know that I had to wait that long for GPU and CPU to get my system running, you know.

And as I do need a running PC and dont have my old system anymore I allready bought the only new PSU with 1000 Watt from Corsair I found the last 2 weeks in europe.

Bought a RM1000i and should get it tomorrow and hope it works better then this HX unit, but off course I will try to get my money back - hopefuly from corsair directly.

Thx for your input, again, Nagash.

• Corsair Employees
I will try to get my money back - hopefuly from corsair directly.

But you didn't buy the PSU from Corsair. If you bought it from Amazon, the total cost of the product includes Amazon's markup.

What country are you in and what Amazon website did you buy it from (US, India, Germany, UK, etc.)?

But you didn't buy the PSU from Corsair. If you bought it from Amazon, the total cost of the product includes Amazon's markup.

What country are you in and what Amazon website did you buy it from (US, India, Germany, UK, etc.)?

Am from Austria and bought it via amazon.de (germany). Do you maybe have any idea what I should do ? I am sure you have much more experience then me with some of these things.

RMA and sending it to corsair ? Worst case would be corsair sends me a new HX1000 and I have to sell it privatly, and as they are all out of stock in europe, not that bad. :-)

• Corsair Employees
Am from Austria and bought it via amazon.de (germany).

EU law allows customers up to two years support from whomever you bought the product from, so you would reach out to Amazon, even though it's been two months.

Lucky you. US has no such consumer law. Amazon doesn't have to help the customer beyond 30 days.

It's the same problem I had with an Rm1000X and Corsair replaced it for me in Rma. Unfortunately the second Rm1000X has low voltage problems.

You're using motherboard readings and are assuming that these false readings *might* give you a problem. Please don't de-rail other people's threads with off topic issues.

Edited by jonnyguru

EU law allows customers up to two years support from whomever you bought the product from, so you would reach out to Amazon, even though it's been two months.

Lucky you. US has no such consumer law. Amazon doesn't have to help the customer beyond 30 days.

@jonnyguru

Now it gets interesting, because I put in my new RM1000i the last hour and nothing changed. I do get the exact same problems. The not so loud whine (electrical sound) in idle.

And the moment I start some workload on my GPU the loud CoilWhine or Buzzing or whatever I should call it is there again. But I found out two interesting things .......

The "silent" high pitch electrical-whine in idle does react to things like open a browser or even only moving the mouse. The moment I do super small tasks it gets more.

The loud Buzzing (Coilwhine) under GPU load is way worse if I do test with higher FPS counts. As example, running Heaven with Ultra/High Settings on my full resolution (3880x1600),

the sound is loud, but the fans do get loud enough so you only can hear it if you know it or look out for it, but if I set Heaven to minimum settings and lower resolution (1920x1080),

the FPS goes up to like 400, 500, and more (MSi Afterburner showings) and at these setting with the high FPS and the GPU on like 50% load the sound is terrible (30 feet/2 rooms away).

I have no idea if that may say something to you - Jonnyguru, because to me it does say nothing, only that the second corsair PSU (RMi now) does have exactly the same problem.

Any more ideas what it could maybe be ?

Does my 3090 rly want that much power from the PSU that this happens and I can do nothing about it ?

Could it be the Riser-Cables (vertical mounting) of the GPU, or the CableMod Cables that cause all these problems ?

Thanks again in advance for all your help,

Nagash

• Corsair Employees

Any more ideas what it could maybe be ?

Does my 3090 rly want that much power from the PSU that this happens and I can do nothing about it ?

Could it be the Riser-Cables (vertical mounting) of the GPU, or the CableMod Cables that cause all these problems ?

Thanks again in advance for all your help,

Nagash

1000W should be enough for a 3090. And "coil whine" is not a side effect of demanding too much power. Unfortunately, newer and newer efficiency requirements require lower and lower switching frequencies that can often drop down into the audible frequency range.

That said, the problem could be the cables. Could be the PCIe riser. Any kind of signal noise can impact switching frequencies. Best way to troubleshoot that is to try the original cables and to try the PC without the riser.

1000W should be enough for a 3090. And "coil whine" is not a side effect of demanding too much power. Unfortunately, newer and newer efficiency requirements require lower and lower switching frequencies that can often drop down into the audible frequency range.

That said, the problem could be the cables. Could be the PCIe riser. Any kind of signal noise can impact switching frequencies. Best way to troubleshoot that is to try the original cables and to try the PC without the riser.

Thanks for your comment/answer again and I will try out all the original cables over the Christmas period, because it will take some time to destroy my cable management and change it all.

But something positive happened, too, and I have to tell you because I have no idea why. I changed the positioning of the pci cables in the psu a bit, and the "louder buzzing" is like halfed now.

Had all three cables along the left side before and only the CPU cable on the middle line of plug-ins on the PSU. Put one of the three GPU plugs to the middle and its like half as loud all of a sudden.

Could there be any pieces in the PSU (electric- or magneticwise) that interfer with the plugs on the left hand side, but not in the middle ? Or how can that be possible ?

Edited by Nagash1974

The cables are picking up EMI from something.

That's why some people will put ferrite beads on their PCIe power cables.

attachment.php?attachmentid=39894&d=1608579399

Thanks for your answer and the picture, its awesome from you trying to help me find a solution for my problem, because I rly cant stand the different sorts of coilwhine I have.

I checked the "original corsair" cables from both my psu´s, and both seem to have some sort of these ferrits or condensators on all there "power cables", which corsair does on type 4, correct ?

So I will try to use both PSU´s as my next project - having one outside in front of the case and using the original corsair cables for the GPU first, then maybe the 24pin and the cpu one, too.

That way I should at least be able to tell if I need to run the original corsair cables to get rid of the "whine" or if it doesnt make any difference to the cablemod cables I use atm.

I hope thats the right way of testing that, and let me know if NOT, pls. :[pouts:

The capacitors in the Corsair cables are small and may only help a little, but it's worth a shot.

To tell you the truth, I rly appreciate all your help, pictures, tips and awesome knowledge in that regard, but I will try all I can to get rid of most of the whine without changing the cables.

It would destroy a lot of the things I planed lookwise for my new build and atm there is nothing left then slight coilwhine you hear in the beginning and in the end of the video.

The loud one (I say more like buzzing) is only on high FPS, but the moment I activate G-Sync on window mode too, it seems like I never get more then my monitors 144 (165) FPS.

And in that mode that loud buzzing is not there, or not noticable at all, its only that dramatic if I do Heaven or Timespy without GSync, and the FPS jump to like 300+ !

I will still give it a shot with some cable tests, but I dont think I can get rid of that not so loud "high-pitch" whine. Its only terrible for me if I do work without headphones, you know.

And only that you know why I dont want to change the look of it, here are some pictures I made recently ..............

1795791361_WhatsAppImage2020-11-21at12_34_29.thumb.jpeg.9e97606a560fca3bcb5616826dec74eb.jpeg

917472289_WhatsAppImage2020-11-21at12_34.29(1).thumb.jpeg.f89544593aaf93584bd8254257022aee.jpeg

125185287_Lilaall.thumb.jpeg.10a930911091be82b496ace535762a0b.jpeg

1388659829_LilaPC.thumb.jpeg.bc187ece95b639f27727de29d914d401.jpeg

367880115_Lilaclose.thumb.jpeg.e62929d35993a9e8c1f15b3488cf64e3.jpeg

65652685_Trkisall.thumb.jpeg.8c18ead348bf4ef89be495c825119c81.jpeg

1032904743_TrkisPC.thumb.jpeg.76237500a2e6e98c288bcb6a2f92108a.jpeg

1380018864_Trkisclose.thumb.jpeg.7889baf881410947716cb0dbf8850a33.jpeg

705017659_OrangePC.thumb.jpeg.0b2c1061781d9df3f8fc02d6154dbadb.jpeg

1055365588_Orangeclose.thumb.jpeg.617305cfc9fa3d2b2a8d12241411c52f.jpeg

• 2 months later...

I got an RTX 3090 FE and it sounds like a mini rc place is going around in my case. Sounds like a tiny place or race car is running around and the sound changes with the power consumption and FPS. Under 300w no buzz, over 300w - Buzz.

Tried it with:

AORUS x570 Elite with a 3800x and a TM850x - Buzzed

Tried it with:

AORUS Z390 with a 9700K and an RM750x - Buzzed but maybe 10% less loud than the x570 board.

Then took it a friend's house and he had an RM1000i so I put it on his system and the RTX 3090 did not buzz.

So, I ordered am RM1000i and put it in my AORUS x570 system and the RTX 3090 still buzzed.

In the meantime, NVIDIA was kind enough to allow me to swap the RTX 3090 to see if it was doing something in combination with my rig.

I just got the new RTX 3090 FE and it is doing the exact same thing, maybe even a little bit louder.

Could there be something up with my electric supply in my house?

Could it be some RF interference from other things plugged into same outlet?

Would the ferrites and/or huge capacitors on the PCIE help?

Thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employees
I got an RTX 3090 FE and it sounds like a mini rc place is going around in my case. Sounds like a tiny place or race car is running around and the sound changes with the power consumption and FPS. Under 300w no buzz, over 300w - Buzz.

Tried it with:

AORUS x570 Elite with a 3800x and a TM850x - Buzzed

Tried it with:

AORUS Z390 with a 9700K and an RM750x - Buzzed but maybe 10% less loud than the x570 board.

Then took it a friend's house and he had an RM1000i so I put it on his system and the RTX 3090 did not buzz.

So, I ordered am RM1000i and put it in my AORUS x570 system and the RTX 3090 still buzzed.

In the meantime, NVIDIA was kind enough to allow me to swap the RTX 3090 to see if it was doing something in combination with my rig.

I just got the new RTX 3090 FE and it is doing the exact same thing, maybe even a little bit louder.

Could there be something up with my electric supply in my house?

Could it be some RF interference from other things plugged into same outlet?

Would the ferrites and/or huge capacitors on the PCIE help?

Thanks in advance.

Sometimes it really does depend on the motherboard.

I have the EVGA 3090 FTW3. Dead silent with an HXi in a ASRock Z490 board. Same hardware in a Gigabyte Z490 VISION D and it sounds like a hornets nest.

Sometimes it really does depend on the motherboard.

I have the EVGA 3090 FTW3. Dead silent with an HXi in a ASRock Z490 board. Same hardware in a Gigabyte Z490 VISION D and it sounds like a hornets nest.

Thanks jonny.

It did buzz on 2 out of 3 boards but the 3rd board was in a different apartment with different electricity. Since it sounds like a mini buzzsaw, could that be the AC not being clean? Would the RM1000i not smooth out bad household AC?

Would any of the tricks you showed work here?

• Corsair Employees
Thanks jonny.

Would the RM1000i not smooth out bad household AC?

Nope. In fact, the first stage, the "safety capacitors" are there to filter EMI "noise", but in the process can actually vibrate making audible noise if the mains are "dirty".

You can try ferrite cores on the AC cord. It's cheap and easy. Or even buy a cord with a ferrite bead already on it: https://www.amazon.com/120V-Power-Cord-Ferrite-Ring/dp/B01M045GWT/

For me.. well.. I'm using the Asrock board. :D:

I'll try to figure out why the Gigabyte board is what it is later. :D:

Nope. In fact, the first stage, the "safety capacitors" are there to filter EMI "noise", but in the process can actually vibrate making audible noise if the mains are "dirty".

You can try ferrite cores on the AC cord. It's cheap and easy. Or even buy a cord with a ferrite bead already on it: https://www.amazon.com/120V-Power-Cord-Ferrite-Ring/dp/B01M045GWT/

For me.. well.. I'm using the Asrock board. :D:

I'll try to figure out why the Gigabyte board is what it is later. :D:

Both of my noisy boards are Gigabyte !!!!!

Tried playing with the Gigabyte board again. Get this: Different BIOS revisions made the noise change!

I added ferrite cores on the mains and on each PCIEX Lead. Get this:

The sound is 10x louder now, like as if the sound was coming out a speaker.

How can that be?

p.s.

removed the ferrites one by one. The ones that make the sound really loud are the ones on the PCIEX cables.

Edited by lamer65

Update your BIOS?

NVIDIA recommended that I update bios & GPU driver. Did both, absolutely no change.

My question really pertains to what exactly do Ferrite Chokes do? If adding ferrite chokes to the PCIEX cable increases the noise that means whatever the effect the ferrites have, perhaps the opposite effect would lessen the noise. I know I could be oversimplifying it.

I have an RM650 and the switching speed is close to the same in the HXi and Axi and even the old TX850V2.

Machines that are not bolted together properly can be a tad noisy which I handle with boxes of 1000 screws.

Loose wire need to be zip-tied down as well.